Country
    Singapore

Black spots

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Hi,

I noticed black spots on my plants. Thank goodness not those hairy types. What could be the cause of it? Could it be lack of certain nutrients?

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Hmm...

For a start, what kind of plants are you keeping? Certain plants do have spots on their leaves. And what are the conditions they are kept? Fertilization?

If it's Java Ferns, it could be sprouting new leaves. If it's Anubias spp., then it could well be spot algae.

It's hard to give you constructive comments without you offering some information up front. Help us to help you.

Cheers,
    I have dwarf cichlids in my tanks! Do you?

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    try to up the pottasium (K)... Someone advised upping K for stargrass that has black 'stains' on the leaves...
    Read me! :bigsmile: http://justikanz.blogspot.com/

I'm crypt collecting... Starting cheap, now have Cryptocoryne beckettii, C.beckettii var petchii, C.crispatula var.balansae, C.griffithii(Melted! ), C.nurii, C.parva, C.pygmaea(Melted! ), C.tonkinensis(Melted! ), C.walkeri, C.wendtii 'Brown', C.wendtii 'Green', C.wendtii 'Green Gecko', C.wendtii 'Tropica' and Cryptocoryne x willisii

Oh, juggling is hard work, man!...

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    I also found the older leaves of my bigger Echinodorus bleheri and Echinodorus "Oriental" turning black at the edges. It seems like algae. Anyway - it tells me to trim it away.
    A quick yank and the leaf detached easily. It is old.
    koah fong
    Juggler's tanks

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Same prob with my nanas ... leaves had black spot with a layer of brownish film (brown algae?).
    Introduced a couple of ottos and brown film disappeared in a day !
    Black spot still there however .. perhaps will try the 'yanking' method

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Thanks all for your help. Like what Benny has mentioned, it will be more useful if i can provide the name of my plant. Let me go find out first. Thanks

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Hi Benny,
    The plant that has black spots on the leaves is Hygrophila salicifolia aka Willow leaf. Hope i'm right.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    I used to have quite a bit of those blackish spots on my java ferns & windelovs and some on the nanas.

I initally thought it was actually due to a lighting issue (too high) however after my rescape and pumping the right amount of CO2 in plus a major clean up and the addition of the chiller, it's not been seen yet (hopefully for good)

My dosage regime is on the high end. Not too sure exactly what I got right this time.

It might be getting the CO2 range right or the addition of the chiller. Whichever the case, I'm sticking the the routine I am doing right now and so far so good.

Hope this helps.
    visit my photo albums @ flickr!

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    grey_fox: Are your Java Ferns and Anubias exposed directly to the high lighting currently?

I noticed some of Amano's tank with high lighting but the Anubias exposed directly to the light are still nice and clean. Wonder how he did it?

For me, the Anubias under shade will show the best leaf colour without the algae spots.
    koah fong
    Juggler's tanks

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Hi Juggler,

Yes they are exposed directly under the lighting. The anubias are in-between, some are shaded, others are directly exposed.
    visit my photo albums @ flickr!