Advertisements
Aquatic Avenue Banner Tropica Shop Banner Fishy Business Banner

Thread: Two Cannisters Beneficial or Detrimental to a Planted Tank?

Feedback Score
    Country
    Malaysia

Question Two Cannisters Beneficial or Detrimental to a Planted Tank?

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    I have a 4ft tank currently powered by an Eheim II 2028. I have a spare Jebao 908 (??) rated at 1200l/h and am thinking of putting it in. The reasons are threefold:

1. I want to add a surface skimmer but don't want to impede my Ehiem's performance by replacing the Eheim's inflow with the skimmer's

2. I want to eliminate dead spots in the tank (some areas, especially the moss has BBA). Incidentally, it is also the area furthest from the submerged spray bar.

3. I can see floating dead particles in the water. I am told it is because my beneficial bacteria is not performing at it's fullest. I have added nighttime aeration and the particles are somewhat lesser. I want a super clear polished water so the Jebao will be a pure mechanical filtration device.

I guess my question is this. Is it advisable to have a second cannister in a 4ft tank? Beneficial or detrimental?

1. Too much water movement will oxidise the ferts in the water column faster?

2. More water movement will disrupt photosynthesis????

3. An extra motor will raise the water temp (but I am using a fan to counter that)

4. As a result of the fan, the surface of the water is turbulent so light cannot consistently penetrate the water as efficiently thus affecting photosynthesis????

I'm just speculating coz I lack the experience to know better. Please share your opinions... I'm confused coz some people are using two cannisters in a planted tank whereas others say I'm crazy to do this...

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Dun worry too much la. I noticed many people worry too much over these kinda things and not enjoy the hobby
    2 filters is good. Over filtration, got standby in case 1 fails, better water circulation, and best of all can keep more fishes
    ... always look at the bright side of life

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Your intentions are good .. however you worry too much over those minute issues.

I agree with bro Joe ... ENJOY the hobby !

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Personally feel that over-filtration is good. Better water circulation and beneficial-Bacteria redundancy, just that it probably waste electricity, and having more pipes hanging on your tank. just that you have to work out the desired water circulation for the two filters??

facing the problem with the fan blowing causing water turbulence, find that the plants growth underneath seems affected. else can consider installing chiller to another filter, if also unable to attain the desired temperature.
    The Happiest of people don't neccessary have the best of everything;
    they just make the most of everything that comes along their way

When will there be 25 letters in the alphabets?

Feedback Score
    Country
    Malaysia
    Hmm... part of enjoyment in this hobby is conquering obstacles that prevent me from enjoying my fishes and plants:

clarity of water, health of fishes, no BBA, healthy pearling plants....

I dun think I'm worrying over small things at all. Just learning how to balance science and art to create an aquascape of my dreams....

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    i suppose hypersushi is just making an enquires.
    The Happiest of people don't neccessary have the best of everything;
    they just make the most of everything that comes along their way

When will there be 25 letters in the alphabets?

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    i am very happy with my tank/ i've got a 4x1.5x1.5. the filters are an eheim pro2 2228 and an old eheim pro 2228. one at each end. it lessens the amount of stagnant water and the fish the tank hasn't looked cleaner. the benefits are the backup if one fails, keeping more fish, and cleaner water. after all, air to us is like clean, areated water to the fish happy fish keeping!! don't worry too much. 2 filters better than one. the more the merrier.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Most of your worries are unfounded. The only "problem" is the water in the tank turning into a whirlpool due to the strong circulation from the two filters which can be addressed by adjusting the position of rain-bar.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Hi,

For two canister filters, good arrangement could be to use one of them for pure biological filtration. Use a pre-filter at the intake to this filter and you almost never need to maintain this filter.