Feedback Score
    Country
    Ireland

Diy Co2

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Hi new to all this fishy things and have been touring the different sites and find it strange when it comes to diy co2 everyone seems to suggest and use plastic bottles that have been used for fizzy drinks. Am i wrong in thinking that a home brew demijohn would be far more suitable. It is made for fermentation, and has ready made accessories, such as bungs that are pre holed. Or is there any special reason that plastic bottles are used.
    may your fish be with you.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    What's a "home brew demijohn"? Any pictures??
    Yours Truly, Avan

I went into the woods because I wanted to live deliberately. I wanted to live deep and suck out all the marrow of life... to put to rout all that was not life; and not, when I came to die, discover that I had not lived.

~ Henry David Thoreau

Feedback Score
    Country
    Ireland
    home brew demijohn is a 5L glass bottle for making home made wine. like the cowboys drink out of in the western movies
    may your fish be with you.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Algae
    Hi new to all this fishy things and have been touring the different sites and find it strange when it comes to diy co2 everyone seems to suggest and use plastic bottles that have been used for fizzy drinks. Am i wrong in thinking that a home brew demijohn would be far more suitable. It is made for fermentation, and has ready made accessories, such as bungs that are pre holed. Or is there any special reason that plastic bottles are used.
    Plastic bottle is easily accessible and extremely cheap to get in the first place. It is transparent and allows the DIY user to fill the content of mixtures to his/her desired level hence more preferred over most containers.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    would say anything should work if you get the ingredients amount right.
    The Happiest of people don't neccessary have the best of everything;
    they just make the most of everything that comes along their way

When will there be 25 letters in the alphabets?

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    For local Singaporeans, plastic soft drink bottles are the easiest and most convenient for us to get hold of. And since it can withstand the pressure created inside by carbonated soft drinks, it is safe for us to use it to do our DIY CO2. If demijohn is easier to get and stronger than plastic soda bottles for you, by all means use them.
    Yours Truly, Avan

I went into the woods because I wanted to live deliberately. I wanted to live deep and suck out all the marrow of life... to put to rout all that was not life; and not, when I came to die, discover that I had not lived.

~ Henry David Thoreau

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Malaysia
    pet bottle is widely used because it is easily available.

you would not any issues with using demijohn. you'll have to adjust the ingredients accordingly as most composition as meant for 1.5 or 2l pet bottles. you can consider using brewing yeast (concoction should last longer due to higher alcohol level tolerance) instead of baking yeast.
    thomas liew

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Australia
    a demijohn is well built for fermenting, but just think of where you are going to hide the bottle (aesthetics wise) + think about how cumbersome it would be to change the fermentation concoction every month......if you are willing to spend the money for a demijohn, might as well buy those fermentation kits from Hagen or the other major brands which includes all the fittings for your aquarium.