Country
    Singapore

Lime Eye....?

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Hi,
    Just bought a bunch of 20 cute fishes. The name on the LFS tank is "Lime Eye". The fish is about 2cm long, the whole body is plain, except for the luminous blue ring around the eyes.
    I observed that there were no aportise fin, and I was not able to find pictures or other information on it.

Is the fish from the Tetra family? I have not taken picture of it from my tank yet. Can anyone help to identify this fish?

MS

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    lamp eyes?
    ... always look at the bright side of life

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Keeping Poropanchax Normani

Thanks to Joe, I found the name of the fish. Have anyone experience keeping this fish? I got 20 of them together with Cardinals and Red-nose in my 4ft planted tank.

MS
    Last edited by ms; 8th Nov 2006 at 10:38.

Feedback Score
    1 (67%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    yup, this fish is fairly easy to keep just make sure that your flakes or food are small enough for it to consume, otherwise this is a fish with rather attractive and nice eyes.
    Holy is the Lord, God Almighty ! The Earth is filled with His Glory !
    90 x 50 x 50 cm tank: Eheim 2217; ANS CO2 Solenoid with 60mm intense bazooka; Zetlight 6400; Teco 500 Chiller; Borneo Wild Steel inlet/outlet
    Ferts: Dry Mixture/Dr Mallicks. Temp: 26 degrees Substrate: ADA Amazonia

Hougang, Singapore / Tg Balai Karimun, Indonesia
    Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    They're killiefishes. Mine tends to nip the fins of rasboras and each other's.

Once you have them, be careful about discarding your excess moss. I've often seen mine gravid with eggs but not seen any spawn till one day, I noticed some fry that seem to be very different from the other platy fries. They grew up to become lampeyes.

It's amazing that the eggs that adhered to the moss I removed from my trimming, survived almost emersed conditions in a "throw away tub" before becoming re-wetted when I dumped some into a platy fry basin and yet the eggs stay viable.
    Warm regards,

Lawrence Lee

brothers, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable--if anything is excellent or praiseworthy--think about such things.
    Philippians 4:8

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Thanks for all the information. I now know that the LFS owner have got the name wrong, which means I have to correct my daughter naming of the fish as Lamp-Eyes instead of Lime-Eyes.

They are now 2 days old in my tank, they seemed happy and adapting well. Offen swimming in the way of the nozzle of the rain bar against the current. From about 2 feet in front of the tank, you can see the luminous blue eyes darting here and there - really pleasing!

Anymore owners of LampEyes?

MS

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by GaspingGurami
    They're killiefishes. Mine tends to nip the fins of rasboras and each other's.

Once you have them, be careful about discarding your excess moss. I've often seen mine gravid with eggs but not seen any spawn till one day, I noticed some fry that seem to be very different from the other platy fries. They grew up to become lampeyes.

It's amazing that the eggs that adhered to the moss I removed from my trimming, survived almost emersed conditions in a "throw away tub" before becoming re-wetted when I dumped some into a platy fry basin and yet the eggs stay viable.
    Is it true that killiefishes have only 1 year lifespan?

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Japan
    lawrence killie eggs are extremely viable.. in the wild some go thru a totally dry period before getting wet again and hatching.. in fact if i'm not wrong.. the dry process is needed to induce the hatch.. I think some of the more killie folks can correct me if i'm wrong..but thats what i seem to remember from scanning thru articles.

Joel, Killes have annual and non-annual species.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Ranma,

I did some research after observing that amazing feat and found out that the dessication of eggs are instrumental to a higher hatch rate. Some killiefish keepers will collect the eggs and keep it in a bag of dry peatmoss. They post the eggs via mail to trade this way.

One thing I realised about killiefish keepers, they don't like to mix the different strains as they're particular of the purity.

Lampeyes and clown killies non-annuals.
    Warm regards,

Lawrence Lee

brothers, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable--if anything is excellent or praiseworthy--think about such things.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Non-Annual Lampeyes

Well, glad to know that I don't have to tell my daughter about missing fishes in 12 months.

I tried to feed them last night, but the faster Cardinals and Red-Nose beat them to the flakes and semi-submissable pallets all the time. These little fellas have to resort to nibbling the crumbs when the other fishes bite into the food.

Is this OK?

MS

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Give it time. The lampeyes in mine eventually dominate everything, nibbling on the fins of weaker rasboras.

I have this ONE lampeye that I grew from eggs. It lives alone in a washbasin on the floor because it is an unfriendly character with the meanest spirit I've seen in a fish. Anything I've introduced will be killed by its persistent biting. Shrimps get eaten, Nerites are also overturned and then eaten. Even feeder mollies that can survive almost anywhere are whipped by this one fish.

It passed away alone at 3 years of age.
    Warm regards,

Lawrence Lee

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Whao! seemed like an evil relative of the fishes. My lampeyes are now about 1.5 to 2cm long, the Cardinals and Red-noses are about 3.5 to 5cm.

During feeding time, I observed that the faster tetras always beat them to the food. The Lampeyes are now getting the crumbs.
    It does not seemed like they are intemidating others for now...

MS