Images
    Country
    Singapore

Altum Angel or Cardinal tetra

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Tank of 4x2x2 planted tank with about mix of 50-60 red nose ,4 long nose and altum angel.

For last few days, the cardinal and red nose had been dying about a few each day and left about less than 10 fishes. Every angel was health.

The cause of death was white spot and realized it very late. this was the most fatal period. I had it before but not as bad as this time.

Other than the angel (Altum and long nose). I intented to add more cardinal plus red nose 100pcs together or can i add more than 100 fishes?

Thanks

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Stop buy fish first. White spot must clear first.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    England
    be very careful, even though your fish are clear of the whitespot it will still be in the water it's just that your fish are strong, any fish you place in the tank now will not be strong enough to fight the whitespot.
    if i was you i would buy say 10 fish and see how they do first, if they stay clear of it then buy more fish.
    mick
    Last edited by Justikanz; 26th Jul 2006 at 21:53.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore
    maybe it is not white spot that cause the death of your fish. it is the Altum Angel. They are super greedy. I think they rummy nose and the cardinals are stress. Hence, the white spots step into the picture.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by joopsg
    maybe it is not white spot that cause the death of your fish. it is the Altum Angel. They are super greedy. I think they rummy nose and the cardinals are stress. Hence, the white spots step into the picture.
    I agreed with you that altum is a super greedy angel, that is why i bought the jumbo cardinal tetra/red nose. it is in the tank community for a year.

I had also just change 50% water but am confuse if i should add new fishes. I had left about 2 cardinal/red nose each after today. Angel fish are still going strong. Anyway my mistake for not realise it early.

Advise pls.

Thanks

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore
    i think if u want to keep altum, rear them at a very young age together with the cardinals and rummy nose. this enable them to get used to have the altum angel bossing around. Well, you don't have to change water when you want to add new fish. You just have do the necessary preparation for their addition to your tank. This is to avoid pH shock, temperature shock and stress which will cause any form of illness to set into your tank.
    Last edited by Justikanz; 28th Jul 2006 at 00:15.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    i think if u want to keep altum, rear them at a very young age together with the cardinals and rummy nose. this enable them to get used to have the altum angel bossing ard. Well, u dun have to change water when u want to add new fish. You just have do the necessary preparation for their addition to your tank. This is to avoid pH shock, temperature shock and stress which will cause any form of illness to set into your tank.

I change the water because i am concern that some dead fish overnight might cause some virus in the tank.

Will be going to Gan this weekend to buy some tetra (XL). Anyone had other good place or cheap in prices that worth to visit ?

thanks

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    You can try Elegant Aquarium at Loyang Point in Pasir Ris. His XL tetras may not be the cheapest, but not the most expensive, but they sure are mighty plump and healthy. Azmi is also selling some too at ecoculture, you can ask some advice from him too, he has lots of experience in this area. I would recommend clearing all your tetras first before introducing any more fish. They are a notorious species in spreading white spots.

One method I have done in clearing white spots is to actually use a turkeybaster and hitting the affected fish with malcachite green solution (1 part to 30). white spots were gone in 2 days with no casualties. But be warned, malcachite green is toxic to us in large doses, so wash your hands after use.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by Jungle-mania
    You can try Elegant Aquarium at Loyang Point in Pasir Ris. His XL tetras may not be the cheapest, but not the most expensive, but they sure are mighty plump and healthy. Azmi is also selling some too at ecoculture, you can ask some advice from him too, he has lots of experience in this area. I would recommend clearing all your tetras first before introducing any more fish. They are a notorious species in spreading white spots.

One method I have done in clearing white spots is to actually use a turkeybaster and hitting the affected fish with malcachite green solution (1 part to 30). white spots were gone in 2 days with no casualties. But be warned, malcachite green is toxic to us in large doses, so wash your hands after use.
    What is "turkeybaster and hitting the affected fish with malcachite green solution. Help me to explain it please.

I will make sure the the white spot is clear before adding new. Too bad left 1 tetra with white spot, if it die, do i need to wait before adding new fishes or can add it immediately?

Thank you
    Last edited by mecedesfish; 28th Jul 2006 at 12:05.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore
    You got to wait cos the eggs of the white spots maybe still present in the tank, once it hatch. The whole cycle continues.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    You got to wait cos the eggs of the white spots maybe still present in the tank, once it hatch. The whole cycle continues.
    Changing of water does not help or partally help to get ride of the eggs? If so how do i know if it is clear ?

I am a little kasu to by adding 1 more fan on top the tank (since i had an extra fan).I had a chiller set at 26d. It is because a LFS told me that temperature was the main reason if fishes is not stress.

Cheers

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    By the way, any one can recommand any stuff to treat "white spot" for cardinal tetras in plant tank. That is in case for futures use.

cheers