Thread: Tankmates for Goldfishes

Feedback Score

Tankmates for Goldfishes

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Hi all, Happy New Year!

I have a new 3 ft tank with 6 small to medium goldfishes at present. Pretty boring. What types of fish can I add to them to make it more interesting? Would some cardinals be ok or would they be eaten by the goldfishes?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    goldfish will not actively hunt other small fish.
    but they do eat anything that come across their paths.

i will think platys will be quite a nice choice (going by the colour theme )

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    England
    Hello!
    First of all, with goldfish, good filteration is a must.
    If you do not already have one, i strongly reccomend a cannister filter, preferably Eheim..
    As for tank mates...if you have good filteration (goldfish give out LOTS of waste!)
    Get some quick moving fish that can tolerate fluctuating water qualitys, or a few fish that dont exceed 4"...things like rosy reds...other types of coldwater fish...dace..blittering...rosy barbs ect
    Mez
    Currently keeping many wild betta species and other anabantoids.

Feedback Score
    Thanks for the replies. Think I will jus get some more ranchus instead.

Hi mphil, GFs should normally be left by itself. Fortunately, there are many variety of GFs that will give any hobbyist endless pleasure. Take note that plecos should not be mixed with GFs. There have been reports that plecos tend to suck GF's slime coats when there is no algae to feed on. This will not only stress the GFs, but will strip them from the protective slime layer.

Feedback Score
    Thanks Kevin. So far everyone I have talked to seems to say the same thing, so I have no choice but to add more gf. Going to Qian Hu ff to pick out some ranchus and orandas.
    Where do you get your gfs?

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Some bad tankmates for GF:
    red tail black shark
    tiger barb
    siamese algae eater

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Malaysia
    used to keep ranchus.
    water quality is very important. used an eheim 2226 for a 2'tank with 5 2"gf. took out ceramic rings and replaced with efhisubstrat. this allows 2 weeks interval between water changes. else they will have blook streaks on their tails. i had a bare tank else pooh will stay in gravel.

you can also go to jalan kayu, seletar west farmway 5 or mainland ff at pasir ris for you gf.
    thomas liew

Feedback Score
    I am also using a bare tank for my gf. Used to have some gravel and rocks too. What happened to your ranchus, tawauboy? Went to QH FF on Sunday, but found that there was only a few tanks with gf. Some of the tanks had gf floating upside down and some of the tanks had purple color water. Suspect they had an outbreak of some sort so didnt make any purchase. The places you mentioned are interesting, maybe I will pay them a visit next week - if I can find some time.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Malaysia
    mphil,

lost all my ranchus due to bad water condition, excessive nitrates i think. happened when i changed my tank to a bigger one. new tank filled with tap water, added anti chlorine and put air pump to max to circulate water. filter pump was left off overnight before being switched on the following morning. everything seemed okay and ranchus were swimming actively.

the next 3-4 days didn't take notice of them due to working late, didn't even feed them. I think it was the fifth day after changing tank when i noticed ny ranchus had problem. they had blood streaks on tails, cloudy eyes, finrot and drifting in the tank. i was rushing off to work so i transfered my ranchus into a quarantine tank and added some salt. that night, i came home and found all my ranchus died except 1 which died the next day. very sad as i have kept them for about 3 yrs.

anyway, i had some longkang fish. so caught 1 and dumped into tank. went to take a bath and came out to find the longkang fish can't swim properly. longkang fish died within 1 hr in quarantine tank. dumped all the water in the tank and dismantled my filter to clean. the filter stinks, really stinks and my wife could smell it in the living room.

I don't know exactly what happened but i think the bacteria colony in the filter was killed by chlorine. so no biological filtration capability and nitrates buildup just like new tank syndrome.

maybe some fellow forumers can comment on what happened.
    thomas liew

Feedback Score
    What a sad story Tawauboy. I am sure it was a great loss to you. Keeping fishes is as much a committment as it is a pleasure and once you slack off only, your fishes will suffer. I am sure you learnt a lesson from it since you are still actively keeping fish, which is good. I had been too busy to keep fish until recently, maybe due to the slowdown in the economy, I find my work committments not so much so I can afford to relax a bit. Thanks for the tips.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Malaysia
    yup! it's sad. hope this doesn't dampen your passion of keeping gf.
    anyway converted into planted tank with tiger barbs only.

returning to planted tank after a break of almost 2 yrs.
    just as much work in keeping those stem plants trimmed.
    growing very fast but better than algae growing
    thomas liew