Aquatic Avenue Banner Tropica Shop Banner Fishy Business Banner

Thread: How to gauge Bio-Load

Feedback Score

How to gauge Bio-Load

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Hi, can anyone advise me how to gauge my tank bio load and what is the tell-tale sign that the bio load has reached the limit.

My tank Bio load:

DIY tank capacity: 30 L x 18 B x 18 H
    Eheim 2227 cannister filter x 1
    internal sump x 1

Live rock x 20 kg
    Corals x about 10 pieces
    sand bed about 1 to 1.5 inches

fishes x 2
    shrimp x 3
    lobster x 1
    snail x 4
    star fish x 1
    hermit crab x 1
    small crab x 5

Water parameters:
    Ammonia: 0 ppm
    Nitrite: 0 ppm
    Nitrate: 0 ppm

Can someone advise whether can I add more fishes and how many more is the max based on your experience.

Southern tip of S.E.A and possibly blowing bubbles underwater
    Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    according to my 'bible'; the standard according to the book is to allow 3 gallons per inch of fish.. and dun forget to include the fact that your fishes will grow.. but sometimes, this is not adhere to by most of us.. sigh..[]
    Let us work together to preserve the world for our children to inherit by being responsible to our surroundings. Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, bubbles and memories.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    just as long as u dun add till....

1. u toss in 1 more fish and it bounces,
    2. u toss in 1 more fish and the others toss it back
    3. u turn on the lights and it is still dark
    4. sardines cans looked roomy when compared..
    5. your ammonia-eating bacteria had grown 5 pounds each
    6. your fish begs u to flush it down the toilet..

btw, all mentioned above are meant as jokes.. if u really reach this stage.. pls spare a thought for the fishes and give some away..
    Let us work together to preserve the world for our children to inherit by being responsible to our surroundings. Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, bubbles and memories.

Feedback Score
    Hi Kel,

Too chim to understand.... Is it you mean whenever I add one fish, one fish will die. This is the tell-tale sign of Max over load. Am I right to say that ?

Feedback Score
    Kel,

Based on my bio load data, what are your comments ? Can add anymore fishes ? and roughly how much more ?

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    errr.. wrong.. when a fish dies, there are many reasons..
    for eg:
    1. did not meet the conditions required
    2. the tank is not stable enuff
    3. Bullies
    4. Stress
    5. old age
    5. got into a scruffle and succumbed to injuries
    6. etc..

as for your bio-load.. u talking in inches or cm for your tank???DIY tank capacity: 30 L x 18 B x 18 H
    and the fishes.. how big can they grow?? until u tell me the sizes of the tank and fishes.. i'm sorry as i can't really help u much out here..
    to be safe, u can follow the guideline of 1" per 3 gallons.. or u can practise using trial and error lor.. ie, buy one fish and add it in.. test the water after it had been stablised.. and add another till the bio-load cannot cope with it and register a constant high readings of NO3.. this latter method, i dun recommend..

Feedback Score
    Thanks Kel,

The dimension are in inches. And the 2 fishes are just 1 flame angel and 1 blue devil damsel.

[]

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    that is like 2.5ft x 1.5 x 1.5ft..ok.. i dun recommend putting more than 1 more fish like tangs.. or 2 more if u intend to get smaller fishes like clownfishes....well.. if possible, try to isolate your lobster.. u read abt the post from Bawater? his lobster ate his fish... so.. u might want to consider that.. if not, u might find your fishes gone soon.. btw, coz of your inhibitants, i dun recommend u keeping this.. firefishes.. coz when frighten, they will dart back to their caves and refuse to budge and will be eaten alive..

Feedback Score
    Ok thanks. In this case, I will plan to get 2 more fishes, like golden maroon clown and royal gamma. May be half a year later than, if water conditions allow, I will get one more.

I don't think i can catch the lobster....it likes to hide in the cave. But so far so good. I last night, I witnessed my blue damsel attack the lobster until the lobster move to another hole........very funny.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    ivan, 4 small fishes will be ok but slowly, 1 at a time to allow ur bacteria to compensate(a month in between would be very very safe)to the extra load.
    a clown & damsel would be fine as u have already mentioned ur readings of 0 now.& Thus u forgot to calc in ur extra volume of water in the sump+ filtration load of the canister so u got a little more to buffer bioload ratio.

i guess ur lobster is small now.First thing i say is ur angel will be in danger in abt a yr time(starting wif the most ex$).Everything should be ok in the next 6mths but after that when things start vanishing then u know who.Mine is in prison now, a partition in a 2ft wif a coffe cup to call home- fed 1 market prawn per feeding & 2 feedings a day,sometimes bloodworms for supper.i harvest the molted shells(outer skeleton)& glued together & the colours stay.
    Its abt 11cm stretched out & recently caught & started to eat a squirrel fish alive just a little bigger (4&quot11-12cm(before i partitioned).which was held there for Kelstorm. its too beautifull to kill & too small to eat.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    brandon,
    when it is harvest time, let me know.. i want to eat lobster salad or sashimi.. hahaha[]