Country
    Australia

Algae (almost given up)

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Hi all,

Have this really annoying algae problem, which might have been caused by over fertilisation (used as stated on product label) when I started using npk plant gro (not sure whether coincidence or not) . Main algae culprits are fuzz; beard; hair and spot algae.

Tank statistics:
    28L tank
    1X18w aquarelle (phillips)
    1X20w powerglo (8hr lighting cycle - both lights)
    CO2 by nutrafin natural plant system.
    Eheim 2213

What do you guys think, what's wrong? too much fertilisation? too much biological load? Not enough CO2? Insufficient trace minerals?

I'm pretty stumped. Thought of using otocincluses to control the problem but they do not seem to be eating the algae, and they do not last long in my tank. Have gone through 3 so far, and I do not want to send another one to the firing line. Help guys!!!!!!

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore
    Lighting is rather strong, your dosing isn't sufficient to cope. Check the EI method. The CO2 is definitely weak, u will not be able to sustain high CO2 content in your tank.

Spot algae is usually the sign of lack of PO4. U might need to dose more of those plus u have to clean them out manually. Algae eater don't work well in this area.

Hair and fuzz algae can be kept checked by yamotoes.

However, all algae should be kept checked by proper dosing and co2 injection. Algae eaters are only there to facilitiate manual removal but not stop algae.
    Cheerio,
    Sleepy_lancs
    *~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
    An afternoon trimming my watery garden is better
    then an afternoon with a therapist
    *~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Australia
    So you reckon
    1) reduce lighting cycle
    2) Increase PO4 dosing or other macro nutrients for that matters
    3) get more CO2 into the system

sounds simple enough but complicated in a way.....I'm probably in denial

Wish it was as easy in Aus to find yamatoes or the other varieties of shrimps. Even the cheapest injection system cost more towards the AU$500 mark.....
    What's a good brand of liquid fertiliser by the way, and what are the basic range that I might need to get.......I have been trying to keep it simple all this while...

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    CO2 should be the main culprit. Measure your KH & pH to determine how much CO2 you've got in there. I suspect that it is not sufficient.

Can you share more details on the fertilisation? What exactly is in the fertilisers that you added and how often?

What plants do you have? You might be able to do with just one of the 2 lights that you have. The lighting duration of 8hrs is just right. Do not shorten it.

Shrimps are the best options for tackling those algaes you mentioned. Otocinclus do not really eat those.

BC