Singapore

Flowering Osiris

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Hello guys,

just to share some pics of my tank 3x2x2
    I previously posted and the comments were that front too heavy...My osiris too large to be placed so close the front. Unfortunately, couldnt remove as the root system too massive.

Lately, the plant flowered.

From previous experience, and after reading the echindorous flowering threads, we know that they will produce small plantlets.

but this one pictured (should be oriental, can anyone confirm?) did not grow well even when planted at this stage - when no longer increasing in size anymore.
    So I hope you guys can teach me how to plant properly when it flower.

Also, a wierd idea, since my osiris is too large, can I actually count on 'dwarfing' the plant by pollinating it and getting it to set seed? that way maybe tire it a bit, let it become smaller... I think its a stupid idea though...

thanks and hope you enjoyed the pics.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by Lam_wn
    My osiris too large to be placed so close the front. Unfortunately, couldnt remove as the root system too massive.
    Use a pair scissors to cut vertically around the substrate of the plant to break the root system. Then pull the plant vertically upward to remove it. Thereafter do a large water change.

but this one pictured (should be oriental, can anyone confirm?) did not grow well even when planted at this stage - when no longer increasing in size anymore.
    If this is the one you cut to plant into the substrate, it should do well because it has already develop roots. The possible reasons why it remains small are anerobic substrate or simply the area into which it is planted is not fertile enough. If it is the latter, put in some root fert like root monster and you should see it bloom.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Hello guys,
    just to share some pics of my tank 3x2x2
    I previously posted and the comments were that front too heavy...My osiris too large to be placed so close the front. Unfortunately, couldnt remove as the root system too massive.
    Get Sisscors to cut around the plant. Pull. Leave the roots in the substrate. Note that there might be a long rizhome in the substrate also.

Looks like Oriental. The plantlet is quite big already with roots system already. It shouldn't be too diff. growing that with good fertilization.

Also, a wierd idea, since my osiris is too large, can I actually count on 'dwarfing' the plant by pollinating it and getting it to set seed? that way maybe tire it a bit, let it become smaller... I think its a stupid idea though...
    It's not weird or stupid and you can get hybrids. Problem is the osiris is sterile because of the extra set of chromosome and that Echinodoras seedlings takes forever to grow up.

ck

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Lam_wn: the plantlet looks like E.Oriental. Is the mother plant the one in the left of the picture beside your E.Osiris?

ck: E.Osiris is sterile as it doesn't produce plantlets the same way like E.Oriental? I have one piece at home which doesn't produce plantlets. Got it as a new plant growing from a rhizome at Teo Farm years ago.
    koah fong
    Juggler's tanks

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    sterile in the sexual sense as in it does not breed with other plants. It does produce plantlets asexually but, like certain Echis, can be a PITA to induce flowering. e.g. rubin, barthii, aflame etc.

Oh, did I mention that you can cut the crown off and more plantlets will grow from the rizhome?

ck

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Hi all,
    thanks for all the info.
    juggler: yes, the oriantal is on the left of the osiris, infront of the uruguayensis. Its kind of small is it?
    anyway, the E. oriental plantlet didnt survive, strangely enough. But I will try the osiris plantlets again.
    Would it be better if I grew the plantlet semi-aquatic to terrestrial in more nutrient rich medium in seperate tank - maybe a flooded pot. As it would get much more nutrients than in my tank (which is non-CO2 BTW), and natural sunlight, although probably filtered....then transfer plantlets into my tank later if I want them there?
    While on the topic of Echindorous, may I know if the large red-leaf forms (I guess E.hormanii 'red') (quite commonly available in SG), is easy?
    thanks

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Yes. you can try growing it emersed.

There are many many red echi in the market now. "Common" ones are ozelot and rubin. rose can get quite cheaply. I personally like barthii. All grows as big as (if not bigger than) oriental or osiris. horemanii is not so commonly sighted, unless you order it from the shops.

ck