Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Pre-mix Fertilizer's doses

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Hi, is it necessary to pre-mix KNO3 as mentioned in Chuck's calculator? Can I add the KNO3 powder directly into my 153 litres tank? If I enter the value "0" to the amount of pre-mix water, the value becomes "Infinity ppm Nitrate" ... i guess this is some division by zero kind of error ...

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Use "1 ml".
    The result will read "1 ml of your stock solution will add xxx ppm to your 153L tank".

He also has a desktop version of the s/w to download for offline use. That version allows dry dosing. Check it out.
    koah fong
    Juggler's tanks

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by juggler
    Use "1 ml".
    The result will read "1 ml of your stock solution will add xxx ppm to your 153L tank".
    i tried that with 5 g mixed with 1ml and it gives 16.19 ppm when the recommendation for the week is only 5ppm. But from the instruction of the KNO3 bottle, it says 5g for every 100litres and dose it twice a week. It's so different.

He also has a desktop version of the s/w to download for offline use. That version allows dry dosing. Check it out.
    Ok. will download it and check it out.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Strange, I tried with your parameters at http://www.csd.net/~cgadd/aqua/art_p...osage_calc.htm

tank = 153L
    KNO3 = 5g

I got 20.03ppm NO3 per dosing. Not the same as your 16.19ppm.

BTW - just follow what you think the plants need. Follow Chuck's recommendation or Tom Barr's EI method.
    Anyway, whose instructions is on that bottle?

For me KNO3 cause problem for me so I never used it.
    koah fong
    Juggler's tanks

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    What problem you are facing with adding KNO3 ?

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by dc88
    I used to add fertilizers without any regime and had a fair bit of algae problems. Hence, I have just started on the proper fertilizer regime abt 2 weeks ago and have also started some reading up on K,N and P. (I used to skip them as I find them too cheam for me ). Until now, i had not got any problems yet ... juz that I am worried that my dosing is not correct, as indicated by the calculator.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by dc88
    I feed my fish a lot and I think there's enough NO3 in the system already. When I tried dosing 5ppm of KNO3 to try. I get BBA. I have tried it several times already when my tank is in good condition and plants growing well. And each time start to get BBA after that dose.

So I guess just do what works for you. There are those whom I know over dose on KNO3 also no problem. My dosing regime is therefore only K2SO4 and KH2PO4 with the trace elements.
    koah fong
    Juggler's tanks

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore
    Hmm.. interesting.. I wonder it would be the cause of problem in my tank... BBA.. darn...
    Cheerio,
    Sleepy_lancs
    *~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
    An afternoon trimming my watery garden is better
    then an afternoon with a therapist
    *~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    I feed my fish a lot and I think there's enough NO3 in the system already. When I tried dosing 5ppm of KNO3 to try. I get BBA. I have tried it several times already when my tank is in good condition and plants growing well. And each time start to get BBA after that dose.
    As you fulfill the NO3 demand (likely limiting before you dose), the rest of the nutrient uptake rate along with CO2 with respective to the amount of light given would increase which is why you got BBA.

How good of a response time does your CO2 system have? Are you able to get 30ppm (max level for that bubble rate) within an hour or less from ambient levels (3-4ppm)? If not, you likely need more flow and circulation through the reactor or tank. (Think about syrup mixing inside a large tank of water? Slow flow = less mixing....high flow/more current = more mixing and hence a faster response time.).

Regards
    Peter Gwee
    Plant Physiology by Taiz and Zeiger

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by PeterGwee
    As you fulfill the NO3 demand (likely limiting before you dose), the rest of the nutrient uptake rate along with CO2 with respective to the amount of light given would increase which is why you got BBA.
    I read your sentence several times. Not sure if you are asking me to increase PO4, K2SO4, CO2 and lights if I add in more KNO3 -- so as to prevent BBA?
    BBA is due to excess NO3 usually, right?

Anyway, hope not to stray off-topic from here.
    koah fong
    Juggler's tanks

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    I read your sentence several times. Not sure if you are asking me to increase PO4, K2SO4, CO2 and lights if I add in more KNO3 -- so as to prevent BBA?
    BBA is due to excess NO3 usually, right?

Anyway, hope not to stray off-topic from here.
    Measure CO2 properly. I know you do CO2 24/7? How fast does your CO2 level hit 30ppm after a large water change say 50%? It should take no more than an hour to bump the CO2 up from ambient levels (3-4ppm) to the target (max) CO2 level (30ppm) for that day.

You can try aerating the tank after the lights off till the next day of lights on (CO2 level should have drop to ambient levels by then) and see how fast it can get it back up. While 30ppm has often been mentioned as the max saturation point for aquatic photosynthesis, little has been talked on response times. If it takes several hours to bring the CO2 up from ambient levels, you have a problem.

Regards
    Peter Gwee

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by krabbie
    Hi, is it necessary to pre-mix KNO3 as mentioned in Chuck's calculator? Can I add the KNO3 powder directly into my 153 litres tank? If I enter the value "0" to the amount of pre-mix water, the value becomes "Infinity ppm Nitrate" ... i guess this is some division by zero kind of error ...
    Use 1 for the pre-mix water value and not zero.

Regards
    Peter Gwee