Country
    Singapore

Ick (whitespots) on Discus

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Hi

I discovered a few white spots on my discus last night. After that, I found 2 neon tetras and a guppy with some white spots too.

I took the discus from my planted community tank and placed it into a pail (with clean overnight water). After reading some of the threads here, I added a tablespoon of kitchen salt into the pail.

I've also gave the guppy and the 2 neons a "salt bath" (a bit more concentrated) for about 30min, then placed them into a smaller "hospital" tank (again with clean overnight water).

I've placed an airstone in both the pail and the "hospital" tank too.

Can someone tell me if I'm doing the right things? I'm quite new to this hobby. I got my tank about 2 months ago. Must I treat the rest of my community tank? Any help is appreciated. =)

Thanks!

Some Background:
    My community tank is a planted 3 ft tank, with lights and CO2. It currently has about 9 guppies, 2 angelfish, 5 corys, 1 placo, 8 rummy nose, 13 neon tetras.

I've added the discus (from a friend) into the tank about half a week ago. It has been quite stressed (from the stress bars and has turned dark a few times) since it has been in the tank. I don't think it has been eating much (the other fish eats almost everything). I feed the fish some flakes and frozen bloodworms.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Are there anymore fish in the tank? For whitespots, there is no need to remove the affected fish from the tank for medication. There is a need to medicate the whole tank. Do a search on 'ich' or 'whitespot' in this forum for the reasons...
    Read me! :bigsmile: http://justikanz.blogspot.com/

I'm crypt collecting... Starting cheap, now have Cryptocoryne beckettii, C.beckettii var petchii, C.crispatula var.balansae, C.griffithii(Melted! ), C.nurii, C.parva, C.pygmaea(Melted! ), C.tonkinensis(Melted! ), C.walkeri, C.wendtii 'Brown', C.wendtii 'Green', C.wendtii 'Green Gecko', C.wendtii 'Tropica' and Cryptocoryne x willisii

Oh, juggling is hard work, man!...

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Please do not use kitchen salt as it contains iodine which is harmful to fishes if overdosed. Buy salt from lfs for it is not chemically treated.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Hi Ben,
    put a thermostat( 30 degrees ) in the discus pail and add met. blue. Tetra medica and waterlife is also effective against the infection. Duration of cure 1 week. Check the package of the medication, most will stain the silicon of your tank blue.
    Something about the water & the fishes that calms me down.