Country
    Singapore

WOOHOO!! DIY Cooler..

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Woohoo!! So happy.. made my own DIY Cooler.. haha

Took an old PSU that didn't have enough power to support an entire computer.

Spliced and connected the POWER cable with a ground thru a switch and voila..

Then the fan I put it on the ledge of me aquarium and secured it with really strong wire via the screw holes.

So happy that is saved me some money..

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    hi bro..what kind of tank can your diy cooler use for?

if can cool down a 1.5 feet tank to 25c please teach me how to do 1 leh..

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    A fan can drop a tank's temperature down 2-3 degrees tops, depending on the ambient temperature of its surroundings.
    Call me Brian.

P.S. This is what part of the alphabet would look like if Q and R were eliminated.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Instead of using the PSU, can use ac/dc converter like in this article DIY Cooling Fans
    koah fong
    Juggler's tanks

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    thank for the information

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by MIZU
    hi bro..what kind of tank can your diy cooler use for?

if can cool down a 1.5 feet tank to 25c please teach me how to do 1 leh..
    the secret is put water in a bottle and freeze it. Then let it melt in ur tank... without the fan, the temperature will rise again soon after the ice has melted.. the fan gives it a little exra life... then u can reuse the bottle again by refreezing it.. haha.. may get flamed for saying that.. haha..

edit: (wah lao.. i tot i very clever.. turns out other ppl don it ler liao.. lol)

But don't take my word for it. My tank is in an extremely hot place. Routers, 24hr on computers, monitor that is friggin hot.. haha

Quote Originally Posted by juggler
    Instead of using the PSU, can use ac/dc converter like in this article DIY Cooling Fans
    Did think of that.. But this was the solution that was lying in my house. And besides, this PSU can tahan more fans.. which i will be stripping from the unused computers.. haha

Cheers.

Feedback Score
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Just a word of warning, computer PSU's are not very happy if they are not supplying a certain amount of load, I'd be concerned that it may overheat and burn out.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    I'm aware of that.

That only applies to old PSUs that did not follow the PSU standards however.

Regardless, there is a load of 12volts which is enough to not blow the capacitors.. Overclockers do this all the time.

Cheers.

Feedback Score
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Quote from http://www.pcguide.com/ref/power/sup...Loading-c.html

"If you are setting up a system that has no hard disk, use a power supply with a 0 A load requirement for +12 V. Even a 0.5 A requirement for +12 V, which is pretty common today, will mean a hard disk is required unless you can substitute some other +12 loads. A single cooling fan will not generally draw enough, though several of them together might."

I'd check your minimum load if I was you, although I understand from further research that no damage will be done it will just switch off.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by Philgo
    Quote from http://www.pcguide.com/ref/power/sup...Loading-c.html

"If you are setting up a system that has no hard disk, use a power supply with a 0 A load requirement for +12 V. Even a 0.5 A requirement for +12 V, which is pretty common today, will mean a hard disk is required unless you can substitute some other +12 loads. A single cooling fan will not generally draw enough, though several of them together might."

I'd check your minimum load if I was you
    Please read the entire passage.
    Modern power supplies have drastically reduced the degree to which loading is an issue. Most newer power supplies have very small +3.3 V and +5 V load requirements, and many have no minimum at all for +12 V. The lower loading requirements make testing and troubleshooting much easier.

As I have mentioned previously.. Mine has no problems..

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Germany
    And besides, this PSU can tahan more fans.. which i will be stripping from the unused computers..
    Moot point. Low-cost ac/dc converters can deliver about 20 watts (1500 to 2000 mA at 12 V). Common PC fans take a load of 1 to 2 watts. Which means you will be able to support at least six or seven fans with a cheap plug-in power converter.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by ankank
    Moot point. Low-cost ac/dc converters can deliver about 20 watts (1500 to 2000 mA at 12 V). Common PC fans take a load of 1 to 2 watts. Which means you will be able to support at least six or seven fans with a cheap plug-in power converter.
    You need a splitter.. So unless you're doing the DIY method of manually splitting and connecting the wires...

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Germany
    Quote Originally Posted by firethorn
    You need a splitter..
    A split-what? You mean a $0.10 wire connector? Those are DIYers' best friends anyway. I never leave home without one.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    I've done it before with 2 tanks, using a PSU unit to power up 3 fans. One of it has been running for over 3 years non-stop. The other one was only recently setup. One piece of advise would be to use a relatively good brand/model of PSU. Don't go for those that are priced around $35 or so.

I also had a Cooler Master Aerogate lying around and fixed it to the setup, which helps to control the fan speed.

Cheers!
    Nathan

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Germany
    Reality check: You're advocating a 300 watt fan cooled PSU to power a 3 watt fan setup. What's next? A DIY air pump made from an old diesel engine?
    Last edited by ankank; 8th Aug 2006 at 06:43.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    You might want to read up more on the web on the common-ness of this.

Use google.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Germany
    According to google they seem to be pretty common alright:
    Results 1 - 10 of about 1,970,000 for diesel powered air pumps

Seriously, tho. I neither was nor would be doubting the possibility of using a PSU for this. However, I reckon it to be breaking butterflies on a wheel. It's just so disproportionate. I truly doubt this is a "common practice", even if there are several mentions on the web.

But talk is cheap and I really don't want to be smart-assing on my first days in this forum. Let me show you my solution: I'm powering two 80 mm fans and a Liquid Neon Light off a leftover 12V plug-in converter that's lost its purpose after its appliance died. My approach is the opposite of yours: Instead of making a PSU a standalone power converter I retrofitted a 12V power converter with PSU connectors salvaged from a broken PSU.

In addition to that: Most low-cost plug-in converters over here even let you select their output voltage. Which can be used to adjust the fan speed, at least in a few steps between 6 and 12 volts.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by ankank; 8th Aug 2006 at 10:17.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    I agree with you ankank, thats its absurd. Come to think of it, its really "OverKill" to power a 3 fan setup with a PSU, which in turn is cooled by a fan as well. But then, its just a "man" thing to power up this way. Its not that you need to power them this way, its because "I can". Actually, I had the PSU and some fans lying around anyway and thought of not wasting them. Maybe in future can add some controller boards and webcam to the tank as well.....he he he...

If somebody was about to do this DIY setup, ankank's solution is a better one and a cheaper one at that. (though you have to be careful with those 12v adaptors. They tend to become quite hot after continous usage and there is always danger of it catching fire if its not properly ventilated. Again, go with the better brand ones.

Mate, a diesel-powered air pump would be air/noise polluting.

Also, if space permitting, use the 120mm fans. As they have more airflow potential, and can be less noisy.
    Last edited by gsnathan; 8th Aug 2006 at 17:56.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by firethorn
    Woohoo!! So happy.. made my own DIY Cooler.. haha

Took an old PSU that didn't have enough power to support an entire computer.

Spliced and connected the POWER cable with a ground thru a switch and voila..

yo bro
    there are many black cables
    can i just take anyone ?

i have a spare psu without a switch
    am thinking of doing sometime similar ................

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by REDDOT
    yo bro
    there are many black cables
    can i just take anyone ?

i have a spare psu without a switch
    am thinking of doing sometime similar ................
    yea mate.. it's all "ground".. but "just-in-case", i just followed the dude's tutorial exactly..

if you're in a hot room though it may not work. you need to be in an airy place.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast