Country
    Australia

disease in silver dollars

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Hi
    friend who does not compute (lol) needs help with a disease of silver dollars
    they appear to get a coating over their eyes then go blind and unable to feed then seem paralysed and die. He thought (or was told I think by lfs) it may be a disease that only affects silver dollars. He purchased a few other fish after completing the treatment that lfs told him to. Waited a few weeks and added new fish to silver dollar tank (not sure what type) the new additions died of the same disease and now his much loved silver dollars are sick again. Does any one out there have silver dollars and faced a similar problem. How do you get rid of eye disease how do you sterilize tank so new fish are not affected

I appreciate any advice anyone is able to give I no he has tested tank ph ect are all within silver dollars needs weekly water changes with distilled water ect are done religiously

Feedback Score
    Country
    Saudi Arabia
    Hi . I have kept silver dollars for a long time but I havent experienced this sort of illness in them. If you could give more details such as water parameters(Ammonia, Nitrite and Nitrate levels, pH, etc) I may be able to help. But from what I saw in your message the problem is probably due to high Ammonia and/or Nitrites in a tank that has not finished cycling.
    Regards
    Gopi

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Is it like a whitish "layer" on the eyes?

I had em too.. One of them died but the rest recovered.. I didn't do anything to help..

I have it now and then on my cichlid too.. And it goes away by itself...

However.. I must warn you.. I attribute their recovery to their hardyness.. (All my fish seem damn hardier than those with similar fish in their own tanks)..

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Hi Kalindab,
    I would go along with Gopi on his assessment, maybe your friend could do some tests to acertain the water parameters. I've had relative success with this genus which didn't pose too much problems for me. One thing I observed was a pinch of aquarium salt did wonders for my brood but then again our water and the water over there are very much different.

OT alittle, welcome to Aquatic Quotient, Gopi. Enjoy your stay and have fun
    Something about the water & the fishes that calms me down.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Australia
    hi
    thankyou for your advice I will go and check friends water but I fear like all our water it is stored in a dam with a limestone foundation. Our water supply is extremly hard with high alkilinity. I am in the process of adding peat moss to all filters as ph down ect has failed to help in keeping a better ph level for my "soft water fish"