Aquatic Avenue Banner Tropica Shop Banner Fishy Business Banner

Thread: Beware when planting Anubias Barteri

Feedback Score

Beware when planting Anubias Barteri

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    I was cutting the rhizom of the anubias barteri var. nana today to spread across my tank and while I started to plant happily, I realized that my hand start to become itchy and have rashes.

Later I started to scratch my arms, and within minutes, whole hand infected, even parts of my leg where I scratched with my fingers also affected.

I quickly washed the affected area with soup and cut away my fingernails. 3 hours later, now the rashes and itchiness subsided.

For your info.

rgds

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Anubias belong to the same plant family as dumb canes and aglaonemas, i.e. the aroids (Araceae). This family is noted for the presence of calcium oxalate crystals in the plant tissue, which can cause nasty effects when in contact with human tissue, or worse if ingested (try sucking on a dumb cane, I'd rather lick a discus). Cryptocorynes, as well as many houseplants like Spathyphyllum (peace lily), Caladiums and Anthuriums are also aroids.

Whew! I tot you were gonna say your Anubias did a Little Shop of Horrors to you.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    thanks for the info koon and budak......dont know that actually
    [email protected]
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    The title below my name does not make me a guru...listen at your own risk!...

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Many plants produce calcium oxalate as a by-product (and herbivore deterrent), with arums (aroids) producing more than most. Oxalates are unstable salts that break down into nasty oxalic acid when ingested. Arums are also noted for the presence of various alkaloids (bitter nitrogen-based compounds - nicotine and caffeine are alkaloids), which in yams are broken down when cooked.

Quite a number of our aquatic plants can be used as food or herbs: Eleocharis dulcis (water chestnut), Trapa natans (also water chestnut), Polygonum hydropiper, Hydrocotyle asiatica, Crinum thaiaium, Pistia stratiodes (water lettuce), lotus, Acorus and Sagitarria.

Feedback Score
    So, it will affect human tissue only and not fish ?
    Only my hand got rashes but my fish looks OK.