Advertisements
Aquatic Avenue Banner Tropica Shop Banner Fishy Business Banner

Thread: 2 Cory's & 1 'Upside-Down' - All Constipated!

Feedback Score
    Country
    Japan

2 Cory's & 1 'Upside-Down' - All Constipated!

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    I have a community tank with 5 neon tetras, about a dozen female guppies (i started out with a pair that breeded), 1 glass catfish, 2 albino corydoras, and 1 upside-down catfish. I feed them HBH Flake Frenzy twice daily for the top feeders, and TetraCorydoras (that is the local Japanese version of Tetramin Tabimin, I believe) for the bottom-feeders every 32 hours. I also have a TetraPleco bottom-sinking tablet, all green, but NO ONE will eat those except bored guppies.

The cory's and the upside-down seem to be constipated. They've all got huge, dark bellys, and I can't say I've seen them pass waste. It appears to be a painful situation for the upside-down catfish. He will stay in the same place all day, and only come down once or twice during flake feedings to snag a flake or two. he doesn't touch any type of bottom-sinking food anymore.

I heard that you can feed boiled, shelled and mashed up peas to constipated fish. i tried this. everyone will pick at them except catfish, it seems, but guppies are pretty aggressive. i was hoping to catch them on to the Pleco sinking green tabs, but they ignore those altogether. i know a pure-flake diet can constipate fish, but when i add baby brine shrimp no one gets those but top-feeders. the glasscatfish is fine; his mate died and he thinks he's a guppy!

any ideas for constipated catfish? thanks,

singelis

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Hi Singelis,
    I've moved your thread here so to get more response from the members. I've been keeping catfishes quite a while and I've not experience this. Maybe some of the members can help and I'll pick up a tip or two from here. Last but not lease, welcome to Aquatic Quotient! Have fun ...
    Something about the water & the fishes that calms me down.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    England
    ive not used it myself, but a friend who keeps and breeds rift valley fish swears by epsom salts for this problem, if you use it i hope it works for you.
    mick