Images
    Country
    Singapore

Didiplis diandra stem keeps breaking off

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    My didiplis diandra stem keeps breaking off after it has grown to some length. As a result, i can't achieve the bushy effect coz before i can cut them, they break off.

Anyone have same experience and remedy for this? Is this some kind of nutrient deficiency? I am using 4x39W T5 and water temp around 28-29degs. Using a fan as a cooling unit and dosing on EI. All other plants are bubbling and flourishing.
    Eugene (^_^)
    De Dwergcichlide Fanatiek
    Now swimming: Plecos and Apistogrammas

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    hi, how big is your tank? And your exact dosing regime? Try adding one more fan to lower down your tank temperature to 27-28degs. Just my own suggestion hope it helps. Cuz i have problem when the water is 29degs.

Somewhere on a tiny Island call Sillypore
    Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Its a 3ft. Didiplis needs colder temperature?
    Eugene (^_^)

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore
    Check your GH.. Too high it will not flourish.
    Cheerio,
    Sleepy_lancs
    *~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
    An afternoon trimming my watery garden is better
    then an afternoon with a therapist

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    United_States
    If you have a lower KH(5-6 or less), it has to be CO2.

Regards,
    Tom Barr

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Can't get accurate readings of my KH. Using the sera KH test kit. First drop changes the water in the bottle to very very pale yellow, more drops into the bottle only intensifies the yellow colour. Not sure how many drops gives the correct reading. Any other ways to get accurate KH readings?

MY PH is around 6.5 according to sera PH colour chart. Using ADA amazonia which has been in the tank for over a year. CO2 running at 3bps, using a splitter, co2 exits through denerrle cyclo500 on the right side of the tank and the other exits through a ceramic diffuser on the left side of the tank.

If i take 1 drop of KH tester as the correct value, its = 1dkh. With PH at 6.5. CO2 is only at 9.5ppm. Way too low... Am i suppose to increase the co2 from 3bps to 6bps? 6bps be too much? Or reduce the PH to achieve 30ppm?
    Eugene (^_^)

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by genes
    Can't get accurate readings of my KH. Using the sera KH test kit. First drop changes the water in the bottle to very very pale yellow, more drops into the bottle only intensifies the yellow colour. Not sure how many drops gives the correct reading. Any other ways to get accurate KH readings?

MY PH is around 6.5 according to sera PH colour chart. Using ADA amazonia which has been in the tank for over a year. CO2 running at 3bps, using a splitter, co2 exits through denerrle cyclo500 on the right side of the tank and the other exits through a ceramic diffuser on the left side of the tank.

If i take 1 drop of KH tester as the correct value, its = 1dkh. With PH at 6.5. CO2 is only at 9.5ppm. Way too low... Am i suppose to increase the co2 from 3bps to 6bps? 6bps be too much? Or reduce the PH to achieve 30ppm?
    Use tap water with a little baking soda to get a sample solution to test if your test kit is still working. It should turn blue if enough baking soda is added. Now, if the test kit is working, test the tap water KH. Is it 1 or less?

You can increase the sample quantity to 10ml and count each drop as 0.5dKH before turning yellow.

Regards
    Peter Gwee
    Plant Physiology by Taiz and Zeiger

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Hi Peter

Thanks for your leads, test kit is working.

Measured 2hrs 30mins after co2 injection. Using 10ml, 0.5 drops turns water bluish, another 0.5drops turns the water pale yellow. So reading should be 1dkh, which means my co2 ppm is indeed 9.5ppm! Have already up bps to 4-5 during this measurement. Something unusual here? Co2 not dissolve properly? should i add an eden501 and replace the ceramic diffuser with another internal reactor?

Currently, the cyclo500 working with 2026, no hardscapes blocking the outflow. Co2 bubbles from the ceramic diffuser goes into a small internal filter and gets blown out.
    Last edited by genes; 13th Aug 2006 at 13:00.
    Eugene (^_^)

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore
    Don't bother to count your co2 from the bubble counter. Use the KH vs PH to get your reading. By the time to hit 25ppm of co2, you will give up counting bubbles.
    Cheerio,
    Sleepy_lancs
    An afternoon trimming my watery garden is better
    then an afternoon with a therapist

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by Sleepy_lancs
    Don't bother to count your co2 from the bubble counter. Use the KH vs PH to get your reading. By the time to hit 25ppm of co2, you will give up counting bubbles.
    Depending on how large a tank is, a small 2ft tank doesn't need a stream of bubbles in a bubble counter to hit good CO2 levels. You are gassing it off somewhere real fast if that is the case or have a leak along the system.

Regards
    Peter Gwee
    Plant Physiology by Taiz and Zeiger

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    United_States
    Told ya

When some stem plants do poorly, they often fragment and break, Myrio's also do this.

The reasons are good, this way the plant hopefully will float and find a better place to grow rather than dying a slow death.

Regards,
    Tom Barr

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by PeterGwee
    Depending on how large a tank is, a small 2ft tank doesn't need a stream of bubbles in a bubble counter to hit good CO2 levels. You are gassing it off somewhere real fast if that is the case or have a leak along the system.

Regards
    Peter Gwee
    ok .. just for a **rough** estimation ... in order to achieve close to 30ppm for the CO2, the bubbles in the bubble counter shd be somewhat near a stream, i.e. too fast to be counted by naked eye?

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Hi,

You cannot estimate CO2 ppm by counting the bubble rate in the bubble counter. You will need to compare the tank KH and pH values and estimate the dissolved CO2 ppm.
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    Sheesh.... work is really keeping me away from my hobby
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    United_States
    I have D.diandra growing nicely at 38 C for 3 weeks, so the temp issue is not right, but overall, the cooler the plants in a tank, the better.

Regards,
    Tom Barr

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by Plantbrain
    I have D.diandra growing nicely at 38 C for 3 weeks, so the temp issue is not right, but overall, the cooler the plants in a tank, the better.

Regards,
    Tom Barr

38 degrees celcius!!! That's amazing!!

Cheers,
    I have dwarf cichlids in my tanks! Do you?

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by Plantbrain

Regards,
    Tom Barr
    Wow! 38 C! How did it get to 38 C?

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    If I am not wrong, you need to bring your KH up to at least 3, then coupled with your Ph, your CO2 should be sufficent...

I had the same prob as well, with no KH, the PH will also be unstable.