Advertisements
Aquatic Avenue Banner Tropica Shop Banner Fishy Business Banner

Thread: How to clean the gravel?

How to clean the gravel?

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Is there a need to clear the gravel of a planted tank. I could see lots of sh*ts in it but is there a need to clear those? How do you guys do it, esp. with all those plants around?

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    I dun clean my gravel. But I used to throw lotsa Malayan trumpet snails to try aerate the gravel but now i use coolie loaches cos my clown loaches are eating up the snails.
    Uniting all Guppy lovers

Guppy Club, Singapore

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    siphoning... I oso used a gravel cleaner the last time.. but its battery operated and not that good if the water level is too low

Thanks guys!

Southern tip of S.E.A and possibly blowing bubbles underwater
    Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    those battery operated gravel cleaner can be quite costly.. u can consider the gravel cleaner by SERA.. and u dun have to worry abt the water level.. alternatively, u can DIY it yourself.. just use a rubber hose and attach a 1.5l bottle with the base cut off, to it.. []
    Let us work together to preserve the world for our children to inherit by being responsible to our surroundings. Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, bubbles and memories.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    err how about those $5 type operated by a handpump that people use to change water ? it has a bottle like inlet and if you want to trp the gravel, can use a net at the outlet.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Peter, I bought a Gravel cleaner (S10-15 only). Which I think works quite well.

It has about 3cm cylindrical opening with a flow control on the top.

It works by sucking up the water thru'shaking for the 1st time. Then Poke the cylindrical pipe into the gravel while controlling the flow.

The gravel will be sucked up one-third or half-way the pipe and starts rotating inside. Tremendously amount of dirts are sucked out this way.

To get those Dirts below the UG Platem if u use them, just poke it through the gravel and rest on the Plate.

Cheer !
    Click to My Aquarium Blog
    I Love Corydoras, Planted Tank and Taiwan ( Singaporean )

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    ----------------
    On 7/13/2002 9:46:25 PM

Is there a need to clear the gravel of a planted tank. I could see lots of sh*ts in it but is there a need to clear those? How do you guys do it, esp. with all those plants around?

----------------
    I don't clear them. The plants seem to grow better when the mulm accumulates at their base.
    koah fong
    Juggler's tanks

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    I always siphoning the gravel during water change (similar to Simon's idea).
    Cheers!!

Sherwin Choo
    [email protected]

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Agreed. But if not for those balls of bba which prevent my glosso from growing properly, i wouldn't bother with gravel cleaning. i've to take the blame for using feritilizer sticks for my glosso. the sticks disintegrate and make the gravel ultra rich ... this even the algae problem. not sure if i want to try glosso again as it's back breaking business planting them. looking around for foreground/carpet plant ....

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore
    i bought a batt operated gravel cleaner 3 mnths back.NO DELAY! jus grab and pay...ehhehehhee...gues the $$$.REALLY WORTH IT! but now saw very expensive..AQUAPET selln at $37 ,,yikes..

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    How about keeping a few corydoras and kuhli loach?

I have a few of them and they helped to stir up the surface of the gravel by digging their nose into them. Then the filter will take over!

With them around, I dun really see much dirt at the surface of my gravel except for those that are hidden/trapped under those rocks...