Country
    Singapore

Bogwood that floats?

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    hi, need some advice on woods:

last evening, i bought what i thought were pieces of bogwood from sam yick in marine parade, using the "2 tone & smooth" description.

compared to what i've seen at petmart, these are pretty "cheap".

- small piece (about 6") cost only $4, and it's a tag "south african welaby wood" on it.

- bigger piece (no tag, lfs said from taiwan), at $20 per kg.

i got 2 small ones and 1 big one, and only 1 of the small one sank!

question: are these bogwood?

tks!
    P-L-E-C-O-R-Y=M-A-N-I-A!!! YEAH!
    FLORENCE, capital of the region of Tuscany, has a population of around half a million inhabitants, spreads on the banks of the Arno, between the Adriatic and the Tyrrhenian seas, almost in the middle of the Italian peninsula. It is a city which bustles with industry and craft, commerce and culture, art and science.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    sounds like it, but its supposed to be heavy.. i had some small pieces, say 15cm in length and they sink

Feedback Score
    Too bad we can't test sinking a bogwood or driftwood before buying. If you wanna sink a piece of wood, do what simon do - put a piece of stone on top of the wood. Sorry, simon [] Alternatively, drill holes at bottom of wood and filled them high density material then sealed opening with silicon. Of course, you would need a electric drill with wood drill bit.

Cheers,
    Roy

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    thanks, guys. i'm trying not to have to do any sealing, drilling, etc, lah.[:]

anyway, i've been soaking the wood and the other small piece has sunken. now to wait for the big one to behave too![]

come to think of it, if the big one's heavier, i'd have had to pay more $ for it, huh? for a piece that's over 1ft long, i paid only $12...[]

saw petmart's about $20 for a 7" piece...[]
    FLORENCE, capital of the region of Tuscany, has a population of around half a million inhabitants, spreads on the banks of the Arno, between the Adriatic and the Tyrrhenian seas, almost in the middle of the Italian peninsula. It is a city which bustles with industry and craft, commerce and culture, art and science.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    flor, thats cheap.. i got 3 piece for my 6ft at $70 each

roy, its okie.. thats the only way, prolly takes 2 mths to sink that mangrove root

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    yeah, simon, after seeing petmart's price, i just grabbed from sam yick's! at that kind of prices, worst comes to worst just give away lor![] at least the small ones had tags to say that they're for aquariums.