Thread: Endearing qualities of pleco

Feedback Score

Endearing qualities of pleco

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Folks,

There are quite a few pleco fans here. The fancy ones look very nice but they are always hanging still or hiding somewhere. I may be wrong about them and would like to know more about the endearing qualities of pleco that captivated so many hobbyists.

Cheers,
    Roy

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    I have an L128. She is very nice, dressed in full body-hugging black with elegantly placed pale blue spots. Like a prim and proper lady, she shies from being spied, and sashays herself behind the big Echinodorus to conceal herself from seedy prying eyes (mine!). If I shift slightly to spy her through the foliage, she would so elegantly sashay a few inches away, again to conceal her beautiful body, with her full, thick lips (black by the way).

Besides, she is also very intelligent and artisitic. While no one is looking, she would expresses her artistic side using the Echinodorus leaves as a canvas. The holes that results is so impressionistic, she must be from the French Guyana.
    why I don't do garden hybrids and aquarium strains: natural species is a history of Nature, while hybrids are just the whims of Man.
    hexazona · crumenatum · Galleria Botanica

Feedback Score
    Wow! I'm more impressed with your description of the pleco than the pleco herself []

Cheers,
    Roy

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    hwchoy ! []

Safe Diving !
    akoh
    Safe Diving !
    Seeking for the Ultimate Diving Adventure !
    - Sipadan, Similan Islands, Burma Banks, Palau, PNG, Raja Empat ( planning for June 08 )

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    hwchoy, i'm supposed to be working now, but can't help reading your description of your L128 lady. []

roy, my latest aquisitions were a youngish L015 and a L018, both have been with me for slightly over a week. Though the colour of the L015 is similar to the gravel, it's quite bold as to "sit out" in the open. As for the L018, it's still very busy exploring the tank until today. For the first one I'll say maybe it's due to ignorance, and the second one, very "kepo"?[:]

my L248 though hidden most of the time, is pretty fat now cos it's almost always the first one going for the food. my L200 (first pleco of mine) is always hidden. L134 has a bad temper, cos i once vacuumed his "home" and he sulked behind the filter inlet for several weeks.

hey, should i replace all the "it" here with "him"? so my L128 is wearing a black texedo?[]
    P-L-E-C-O-R-Y=M-A-N-I-A!!! YEAH!
    FLORENCE, capital of the region of Tuscany, has a population of around half a million inhabitants, spreads on the banks of the Arno, between the Adriatic and the Tyrrhenian seas, almost in the middle of the Italian peninsula. It is a city which bustles with industry and craft, commerce and culture, art and science.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    The most " enchanting thing " I realised/ noticed recently is the " Countship Dancing " of the Dwarf Royal Farlowella. Both the male and female danced by swinging their tail to and fro !, actually I read somewhere that this swinging actions of all twig Suckermouth catfish is for them to sense the surrounding ! ( for food, predator etc ). Well ! there are alot more ! []

Safe Diving !
    akoh
    Safe Diving !
    - Sipadan, Similan Islands, Burma Banks, Palau, PNG, Raja Empat ( planning for June 08 )

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Hi UNCLE Hwchoy
    You read poems for a living ???.....hahaha

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    ----------------
    On 7/15/2002 10:23:14 AM

Hi UNCLE Hwchoy
    You write poems for a living ???.....hahaha

----------------
    Eh HeibeeKing, I thought you around my vintage, how can you call me uncle… tsk tsk tsk.

Anyway, I’m sure we’re all familiar with the weird things our fishes make us do []
    why I don't do garden hybrids and aquarium strains: natural species is a history of Nature, while hybrids are just the whims of Man.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    ----------------
    On 7/15/2002 10:14:22 AM

The most " enchanting thing " I realised/ noticed recently is the " Countship Dancing " of the Dwarf Royal Farlowella. Both the male and female danced by swinging their tail to and fro !, actually I read somewhere that this swinging actions of all twig Suckermouth catfish is for them to sense the surrounding ! ( for food, predator etc ). Well ! there are alot more ! []

Safe Diving !
    akoh
    ----------------
    my farlowella mati recently after eating cucumber []

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    ----------------

Safe Diving !
    akoh
    ----------------
    The most impressive thing I saw on my L048 is their dance before they breed. They will swin around the tank in pair swinging their tails in the same direction like a pair of lovey couple dancing on a huge dance floor.[:]

Feedback Score
    My goodness - the passions for pleco! Almost humanizing the fish to a certain extend [:] Hmm... I'm wrong about its seemingly "boring" qualities and there's more than meet the eyes.

However, not sure I would spend $50 up for a fish though. Anyways, what would be a good "dward" fancy pleco for a 3.5 feet aquarium? I heard pleco grow to be quite big.

Enjoy your pleco folks!

Cheers,
    Roy

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    australia has "waltzing matilda" and kunner has "waltzing plecos"![:0] []

hwchoy, farlowella + cucumber is a no-no? oh no! my farlo's with my corys and so far i've only put romaine lettuce in there...! oh, also zucchini... but hey, i used to put cucumbers in there!!![:0] but i hardly see my farlo near the vege...[]

alamak, then i'll have to be careful what i put in there!
    FLORENCE, capital of the region of Tuscany, has a population of around half a million inhabitants, spreads on the banks of the Arno, between the Adriatic and the Tyrrhenian seas, almost in the middle of the Italian peninsula. It is a city which bustles with industry and craft, commerce and culture, art and science.

Feedback Score
    I bet many of you folks take care of your fishes better than yourself []

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    i take care of pets (strays included) better than i take care of humans, me included![]

Feedback Score
    i place my fishes and pet before me.they r full all the time while i hardly eat til lunch or dinner.....[]

rgds
    LH is the power to the dark side.LH leads to fear.Fear leads to anger.Anger leads to hate.Hate leads to suffering.....

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    ----------------

Safe Diving !
    akoh
    ----------------
    Man ! I was right about the " dance " coz' I found eggs ! ! ! on the PVC pipe, can't really count the number but reckon about 20 pcs lah ! . Now the male is guarding the nest ![]beli hardworking ! []

Safe Diving !
    akoh
    Safe Diving !

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    ----------------

my farlowella mati recently after eating cucumber []

----------------
    hwchoy ! I'm sorry to hear that !. But I have no problem with cucumber leh ! reckon it could be something else!

Safe Diving !
    akoh
    Safe Diving !

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    ----------------
    However, not sure I would spend $50 up for a fish though. Anyways, what would be a good "dward" fancy pleco for a 3.5 feet aquarium? I heard pleco grow to be quite big.

Cheers,
    Roy
    ----------------
    Hi Roy ! for a " pleco start " check out L177 Iriri Gold Nugget ! ( black body with yellow or orange spots ). Max. size for Iriri is about 6 to 8 " ( it does take a very very loooong time to grow to that size ) hence should be no prob. for 3.5' tank. Gan do have some very nice Iriri from his recent shipment , think he is asking for below 50 bucks, check it out ! , cheers ! []

Safe Diving !
    akoh
    Safe Diving !

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Man ! I was right about the " dance " coz' I found eggs ! ! ! on the PVC pipe, can't really count the number but reckon about 20 pcs lah ! . Now the male is guarding the nest ![]beli hardworking ! []

Safe Diving !
    akoh
    ----------------
    Yo Allen congate man! But the problem is u got so many kind of pleco around and may I know the egg belong to who????[]

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    ----------------
    On 7/15/2002 10:20:14 PM

I bet many of you folks take care of your fishes better than yourself []
    ----------------
    U r right man, sometime I squeeze my pocket dry just make my dear fish get enough food but me got no food to feed.....

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast