Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    There are plenty of D. hysginon at the Great Hall of the Azmi. You seem to have missed out on this fantastic new Dario http://www.aquaticquotient.com/forum...ad.php?t=23459

Quick, they might still be available.
    why I don't do garden hybrids and aquarium strains: natural species is a history of Nature, while hybrids are just the whims of Man.
    hexazona · crumenatum · Galleria Botanica

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Malaysia
    Yeap, I knew they are at the Great Hall but... am surprised that they are still available. It's been a while, isn't it?

This proves that - Azmi, if you are reading this - we need delivery services!

Quote Originally Posted by hwchoy View Post
    There are plenty of D. hysginon at the Great Hall of the Azmi. You seem to have missed out on this fantastic new Dario
    sorry ah, me very the new here, i not sure what is great hall of Azmi...
    Can Light up candles or not? maybe give me directions out of the wild.

Quote Originally Posted by Quixotic View Post
    There are currently 3 described species in the Dario genus: D. dario, D. dayingensis and D. hysginon. They are all small fishes, reaching about +-2.5cm in size.

D. dario comes from India, D. dayingensis from China and D. hysginon from Myanmar. D. dario is most recognisable by their vertical bars and found in our LFS quite often. However, they are known as Scarlet badis or Badis badis in the trade. Badis badis is actually a different fish, which is much bigger.

D. dayingensis and D. hysginon looks quite similar, entire body is red with black blotches on the dorsal and ventral fins. They are rarely found in our LFS.

A website with pictures of the biotope of D. dario, http://www.kolumbus.fi/vuorela.antti/dariobiotope.htm

And here, MrTree shows you where D. dayingensis can be found, although I think that MrTree has removed the picture of D. dayingensis.

There is possibly a fourth undescribed Dario sp. that came to our shores recently. A recent discussion of the fish here, Dario hysginon and Dario sp..

And finally, Alexander Dorn's webpages of Dario spp.

Apistos can be quite agressive and territorial. D. dario are rather slow fishes and easily outcompeted when it comes to feeding. I do not recommend this. They would do well with smaller and less boisterous fishes, e.g the smaller Parambassis spp., Boraras spp.

Also, they are found in slow streams with lots of vegetation and plants, so they do not like current very much.

Edit: Oh yeah, lest I forget, there is an article on Badis and Dario in PFK magazine, Oct 2006 issue, written by Anti Vuorella (whose website I posted above) and Stefan van der Voort, who is active in the other forum and successfully bred a number of Badis spp.
    Thanks a Million(X10)!!
    I will read abit first before buying.
    Last edited by Justikanz; 30th Sep 2006 at 13:06. Reason: Please mind the SMS language and spell properly. Thanks!... We do not have limitations on the number of characters to post!...

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    The Great Hall, 1024 Upp Serangoon Road. Best to go at night or late afternoon.
    why I don't do garden hybrids and aquarium strains: natural species is a history of Nature, while hybrids are just the whims of Man.
    hexazona · crumenatum · Galleria Botanica

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12