Images
    Country
    Singapore

Trimming just the tip of the Java fern

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    if i trim off the tip of a java fern, will the whole leave die or will it juzt grow a new tip??? anyone can advise??? and is it possible to cut off the tip and replant somewhere else??? coz i saw it in a magazine from taiwan planting the tip of a java fern only. very impressive

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore
    If you chop the tip, the leave which the tip you remove will slowly decay.
    Basically the plant grows new plantlet usually first at the tip of the leaves. It will sprout faster if you stress the plant. Hope this helps.
    Cheerio,
    Sleepy_lancs
    *~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
    An afternoon trimming my watery garden is better
    then an afternoon with a therapist
    *~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    what do you mean by new plantlet at the tip of the plants and stress the plant??? sorry dun understand some of the terms used here cause still very new

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Java fern frequently reproduces by new plantlets attached to the tip of its old leaves.

However are you talking about trimming off tips of matured Java fern leaves and planting them so that they grow to reproduce?

Or are you talking about trimming the tips of new Java fern leaves which often have transparent growth at the tip (which is natural; it will fill out in time).

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    wow i'm confused... sorry...let me rephrase.

if i cut off the tip of java fern and plant it, will it be able to grow? do i need to watch out for anything? e.g. killing the cutted leaves or roots?

i do notice some black hair like stuff growing from the tip, is that roots? or juz algae?

i apologise if i confuse you guys too

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Erm I'm a bit lost as well to the question. Maybe you can post a photo of what you intend to do? This will help with your question I believe.

At the moment if you cut off the leaf of the fern, that cut piece will die/rot off and that existing leaf will look weird having its tip snipped off.

Java ferns reproduce by plantlets which grow from the mother leaf (attached to the leaf) as it matures it looks that of your current lot of Java ferns just smaller versions and further stages, roots (long black roots) will appear.

To propagate Java ferns, simply pull out these plantlets (gently) from the mother leaf and tie it down to your driftwood/rock/etc.

Hope this helps.
    visit my photo albums @ flickr!

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by soulfinder78
    if i cut off the tip of java fern and plant it, will it be able to grow? do i need to watch out for anything? e.g. killing the cutted leaves or roots?
    I don't think it will grow.

i do notice some black hair like stuff growing from the tip, is that roots? or juz algae?
    It might be roots or it might be BBA. Watch out.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by grey_fox
    Erm I'm a bit lost as well to the question. Maybe you can post a photo of what you intend to do? This will help with your question I believe.

At the moment if you cut off the leaf of the fern, that cut piece will die/rot off and that existing leaf will look weird having its tip snipped off.

Java ferns reproduce by plantlets which grow from the mother leaf (attached to the leaf) as it matures it looks that of your current lot of Java ferns just smaller versions and further stages, roots (long black roots) will appear.

To propagate Java ferns, simply pull out these plantlets (gently) from the mother leaf and tie it down to your driftwood/rock/etc.

Hope this helps.
    okie finally understand... thanks. will go and try pull those plantlets off. if cannot means those are BBA not roots. hahaha

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Erm, those black spots on the Java Fern might not be BBA spots, if its underside it might be the spores that the plantlets will emerge from.

Only pull out the plantlet when its visible of course. If there is no plantlet then there definitely is nothing to pull off, the plantlets will grow then the roots.
    visit my photo albums @ flickr!

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    yeah i knew abt the spores things last time primary school science evrytime got excursion so left a very deep impression abt all these ferns stuff. waha

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    tried to pull off plantlets of java fern. Succeed in doing so. All the tips are attached with more than 1 plantlets. now my javafern look so much tidy without black roots sticking out...

only problem left...what am i to do with so many plantlets???

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    tried to pull off plantlets of java fern. Succeed in doing so. All the tips are attached with more than 1 plantlets. now my javafern look so much tidy without black roots sticking out...

only problem left...what am i to do with so many plantlets???
    plant it!

or you can give me haha

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by lee1224
    plant it!

or you can give me haha
    me too..lol

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    sell u all cheap cheap then
    wahaha

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    haha i got a dw covered full by narrow leave java myself already
    lol....give i take, buy i say byebye ahha

n to ans ur earlier earlier question
    you cut off the leaf, the part left wun die but wun grow either as far as i notice

what i did when i got my narrow leave javas were to pluck off almost all the leaves, just tie the base that is left to the dw
    after a month or so the black roots all gre out n alot of new leaves sprout out
    then it just grow n grow after that

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    wow that's a hardy plant i must say. like what you said i'm going to tied all those little plantlets to a DW. see how fast can they grow

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Gentleman, due to us trying to acheive ISO 9002. Please kindly refrain from using abbreviations for the benefit of the entire community. Your participation to this cause would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers
    Something about the water & the fishes that calms me down.