Country
    Singapore

Sewellia lineolata - Vietnamese hillstream loach

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Benny can you comment on the post processing

these are really cute buggers, they have modified paired fins to help them maintain a grip on rocks in hill streams with fast flowing current. this fellow is about 4cm, from Vietnam.

see 2400×1800 version of close-up of mouth.

why I don't do garden hybrids and aquarium strains: natural species is a history of Nature, while hybrids are just the whims of Man.
    hexazona · crumenatum · Galleria Botanica

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    First of all, excellent fish and a handsome specimen.

The colors seem a bit on the cool side, judging from the rock. But the subject does not seem to be the case, except in the third photo, where the magenta seems slightly stronger than the rest. All in all, good color control.

Contrast is very well handled too. Obviously plenty of details in these photos as well and they do not look excessivly sharpened.

Cheers,
    I have dwarf cichlids in my tanks! Do you?

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    yeah? great I will keep this monitor calibration

btw I am now using a new workflow:
    1. Open RAW file in DPP
    2. use DPP for RAW brightening, and sharpening, occassionally for RGB adjustment
    3. from DPP directly transfer (Alt-P) to PS/CS2
    4. cropping, cleaning, levelling etc plus other annotation tasks as per normal
    5. no more sharpening to be done in PS/CS2 i.e. no USM which I find is noisier than DPP RAW sharpening
    6. output final uncompressed full size JPEG master file
    why I don't do garden hybrids and aquarium strains: natural species is a history of Nature, while hybrids are just the whims of Man.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    btw I was also using custom WB by sinking the white card into the tank.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    China
    I saw pics of freshly caught specimens of this fish, damn golden!

Started to appear in the trade from early 2004 I think.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Well...if you lose a bit of the blue, then it will appear to be more golden.

Cheers,
    I have dwarf cichlids in my tanks! Do you?

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    wasn't very golden in the tank, so didn't want to tweak.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    China
    Yup, but uncle choy's fish is still young.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    RMBR complaining how come you never send them the yunnan fishes.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    China
    I am thinking of bring them back myself. haha

Just managed to sort everything a couple days ago...the post office is restrict now, can no longer send through them.

Anyway, if i cannot make it then still got visitors coming soon.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Can anyone assist to tell me where I can buy these cute little fishes ? Are they aggressive ? And, will they attack my cherry shrimps ?

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    they only come in very rarely, all gone as far as I know. I don't think they will attack cherry shrimps.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    hwchoy, thank you for your reply. Just would like to check with you more on this loaches.

1) Use to see something similar pre-packed 3 to 5 pieces in a pack at either C328 & also Y618. However, they are always labelled as Hill Stream Loaches. Are this the same fishes ? If yes, I may want to purchase them next time I am at either LFS.

2) A friend of mine told me that he saw these Vietnam Hill Loaches in NA last week. I may want to buy them there but how do I tell the correct fish ? Is there only 1 type of this fish or many types with slight different in colouration & markings ?

3) By the way, are they Algae Eater ? Or what do they feed on ?

Thank You.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Japan
    many kinds.. so many someitmes its hard to tell.. but still okay la.. i'm not a very hillstream loach guy..but can see a few common types here in singapore.. but they are rarely this one. Most..i know do eat algae.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    most of the common ones are borneo hillstream loach (of which there are many many species, but a few are commonly imported I think). these vietnamese ones are very rarely imported.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

butterfly loach and so on

Most of the hillstream loaches in the trade are from southern China, i.e. Beaufortia, Sinogastromyzon, occasionally Pseudogastromyzon, Liniparhomaloptera; from Borneo, i.e. Gastromyzon ctenocephalus, G. stellatus, G. zebrinus, G. ocellatus (these are the only four seen in the trade, out of 36).

Basically, to tell them apart, look at their mouths from the underside (easier if they are already in a bag). Gastromyzon have the widest mouth, almost as wide as the head width. They also look more streamlined and tadpole-shaped. Also the pelvic fins are fused completely. The chinese butterfly loach appear more flat and have a small (usually) u-shaped mouth. the pelvic fins can be fully fused (Sinogastromyzon), partially fused (Beaufortia), not fused at all (Liniparhomaloptera, Pseudogastromyzon).

Sewellia is more a recent phenomenon. Rarely encountered in the trade. Scientifically only re-discovered in 1998.

All hillstream and butterfly loaches come from fast flowing clear hill streams. These habitats all have stone, gravel and rock bottom. So if you want to keep them successfully, ensure lotsa rocks and fast current. They will feed on most food, but all require a certain amount of algae.

Hope that helps.

Ikan Patin Bakar Sidep

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Hey Heok! didn't know you joined AQ as well. A belated welcome

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by Nik-enduser
    Most of the hillstream loaches in the trade are from southern China, i.e. Beaufortia, Sinogastromyzon, occasionally Pseudogastromyzon, Liniparhomaloptera; from Borneo, i.e. Gastromyzon ctenocephalus, G. stellatus, G. zebrinus, G. ocellatus (these are the only four seen in the trade, out of 36).

Basically, to tell them apart, look at their mouths from the underside (easier if they are already in a bag). Gastromyzon have the widest mouth, almost as wide as the head width. They also look more streamlined and tadpole-shaped. Also the pelvic fins are fused completely. The chinese butterfly loach appear more flat and have a small (usually) u-shaped mouth. the pelvic fins can be fully fused (Sinogastromyzon), partially fused (Beaufortia), not fused at all (Liniparhomaloptera, Pseudogastromyzon).

Sewellia is more a recent phenomenon. Rarely encountered in the trade. Scientifically only re-discovered in 1998.

All hillstream and butterfly loaches come from fast flowing clear hill streams. These habitats all have stone, gravel and rock bottom. So if you want to keep them successfully, ensure lotsa rocks and fast current. They will feed on most food, but all require a certain amount of algae.

Hope that helps.

Thank you very much for the information. Have always been facinated by these hillstream loaches but afraid to buy them as I do not have much knowledge on them. Some friends discourage me from getting them claiming that as sucker fish, they will harass the other fishes by chasing & sucking the slime off their body. So, these are peaceful community fish for the planted tank ?

By the way, what is the maximum size they will grow into ? Do not like them to grow large like some plecos

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    China
    Wah..BIG WELCOME!!!!!!!!!!

I am keeping some Pseudogastromyzon myersi that I caught from LUO HU district(yes, it's got a 944 m ASL mountain within the district!). Don't accept bloodworm but only go after algae, very skinny now.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Malaysia
    They were in town and I managed to pick up two of them. Nice fellas and good size too.

Anyone knows how to sex them? Read the article from Loaches Online but not sure if I understood correctly.

http://www.loaches.com/species-index/sewellia-lineolata

Choy, based on the article, yours should be a male, yes?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast