Country
    Singapore

Making hairgrass grow well

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    hi guys,

I have CO2 and lights in my planted tank...but my hairgrass cant seems to grow...will root monster do the trick?

Thanks

yours sincerely,
    Storm
    Last edited by benny; 26th Aug 2006 at 08:21.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    I think it's not just a case of add root monster. What's the rest of your tank parameters like? That might give you a clue. Perhaps it's not enough light or ineffective filtration, etc. More information about your setup will help.

Cheers,
    I have dwarf cichlids in my tanks! Do you?

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Do not add strong base fert to HG! Some clay layer or better still something liked ADA soil to begin with is good. but no spike fert. They might not take it well. I once "burnt down" patch of HG by inserting a plant tab - they just turn brown and melt down. Total approach should be the way. Lots of CO2, NO3, PO4, trace, a small tag of Seachem Equilibrium to keep some level of Ca, Mg,...(do a search on E.I. for more details)
    One trick that was given by folks who are good at this said that do regular trimming (just a tiny snip) of their tips will promote growth.
    Keep NH4 level low, not too many fish. Frequent water change - 50% per week. BTW these best practise also apply to any other plants too.
    Temperature might play a part, but there are also success examples without fan or chiller.
    Light level need not extremely high, 2~3wpg should be adequate if they are not overshadow by other plants.
    Bottomline you need lots of patience. My HG tank took about 3 months (inlcuding my learning curve to get the all the parameters right) before new runners start showing.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Hi, hairgrass generally is not a very demanding plant. The only problem is that it takes a while (like 1 -2 months) for it to settle and start to show visible growth. So many beginners (myself included) gave up too early.

Start by planting them thinly. Give them a crew-cut after 1-2 weeks. With proper light and CO2, they should strat to grow and spread. Try to go light with your fertilizer and do regular water change to keep them algae free. Once established, hairgrass is virtually unstoppable!

Good luck.
    -CP

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    I agree wit CP.. How long have you planted your HG?
    It normally will turn brown on initial planting and also after the first cutting.
    But subsequently, after they have browned, new shoots will start to grow...

Btw, your HG are emersed HG right?
    ~ Vincent ~ Fishes calm your mind...
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/valice/

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    I think the mystery is in how storm plants his Hair grass. All in 1 lump or sparely all over the place?
    Something about the water & the fishes that calms me down.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Seperate them patiently into small clumps of 5 to 6 leaves maximum.

Plant them not too deeply, plant until the roots are covered.

Trim them to 4cm height after planting.

Give good light, CO2, fertilisation.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by dc88
    Do not add strong base fert to HG! Some clay layer or better still something liked ADA soil to begin with is good. but no spike fert. They might not take it well. I once "burnt down" patch of HG by inserting a plant tab - they just turn brown and melt down.
    Why is that an issue? Well, sounds like poor CO2 if that is the case. You lift the demand for nutrients and the uptake rate for CO2 increase as well. If you did not keep up with the increase in CO2 demand, the plant slows down after a while due to CO2 limitation and worst shuts down. You can keep the substrate or water column rich and that does not hurt HG a tad bit nor any plant.

Regards
    Peter Gwee
    Plant Physiology by Taiz and Zeiger

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by stormydax
    hi guys,

I have CO2 and lights in my planted tank...but my hairgrass cant seems to grow...will root monster do the trick?

Thanks

yours sincerely,
    Storm

you know, sometimes some plants simply refuse to grow in certain tanks. I used to have extremely lush hairgrass. after a total revamp (because the hairgrass grew so lush for so long they became detached from the substrate) they simply will not grow back.
    why I don't do garden hybrids and aquarium strains: natural species is a history of Nature, while hybrids are just the whims of Man.
    hexazona · crumenatum · Galleria Botanica

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    hi guys,
    Thanks a lot for the many reply
    I am using those GENOAH tank..., with a CO2 cylinder, hang on filter, mini fan, ada soil. Thats about it.

I plant them sparsely all over my tank.

Any advice on using root monster?

I use to have tank of hairgrass...it grew so well that i got tired of it...but now, it simply gorw propagates...hahaha

thanks

yours sincerely,
    Storm

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    u can try root monster if u want. i use ocean free root monster. cheap and good. but most importantly, have a good co2 level and good light, + NPK dosage, then i dun think there should be a problem in ur HG growth
    i'm ADDicted to this wonderful hobby

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    hi ,
    +NPK?

thanks

yours sincerely,
    Storm

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    NPK = nitrate, phophate and potassium
    i'm ADDicted to this wonderful hobby

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by PeterGwee
    Why is that an issue? Well, sounds like poor CO2 if that is the case. You lift the demand for nutrients and the uptake rate for CO2 increase as well.
    That could be the case, but it could also be that plant tab contained NH4. It was actually for land plant. But that was many years ago so I don't really know.

I thought only increase light level will lift the demand for nutrients ? How would adding nutirent increase demand for nutrient ? Like to learn more.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by dc88
    That could be the case, but it could also be that plant tab contained NH4. It was actually for land plant. But that was many years ago so I don't really know.

I thought only increase light level will lift the demand for nutrients ? How would adding nutirent increase demand for nutrient ? Like to learn more.
    ADA aquasoil has NH4 in small amounts. If NH4 cause plant growth issue, how could it do fine with it?

If you are limited in a particular nutrient, the plant growth rate would slow down significantly as well. Once you lift the limitation, the plant growth gets up to speed (after a while) depending on how bad the previous deficiency is. The rate of max growth is still based on the amount of light if all other nutrients including CO2 are non-limiting. (Since light energy is converted into ATP and NADPH during the light reaction cycle which are later used in the dark reaction cycle aka calvin benson cycle.)

Regards
    Peter Gwee
    Plant Physiology by Taiz and Zeiger

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    dont planted HC too deep into the soil, the runner will run under the soil...
    "L" plate gardener

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    are you talking about HC or HG(Hairgrass)?

Hougang, Singapore / Tg Balai Karimun, Indonesia
    Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    HG is an undemanding plant. Mine grows without CO2, very little NPK in a 1 ft low-tech tank.

It needs time to respond, which we all think we have failed when we see the leaves disappearing. I thought I failed AGAIN with HG in this tank when I set it up with CO2 and the works. After 2 months, only 1 small clump remained. I gave it a haircut and BOOM! It spread all over like wildfire. I had to take away the CO2 and lights to tame it -- it overran my Cryptocorynes.

Now, I'm happy it is slowed down enough in a low tech setting. Before, I tried uprooting to control the spread. BAD idea.

Be patient, and oh I forgot to mention, give it a good current flowing through the lawn, and regular haircuts.

Good luck
    Warm regards,

Lawrence Lee

brothers, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable--if anything is excellent or praiseworthy--think about such things.
    Philippians 4:8

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    HI,

Im a newbie in planted.
    My HG always turns brown and wont survive. But now after i change mmy light to 2x36 PL lights with C02 and internal filter for a 3 ft tank. It shouldn't be a problem to grow HG right?

Sorry for my ignorant questions as im quite new.

Cheers!

Feedback Score
    Country
    Indonesia
    I have planting HG for 6 month and i don't see they spreading at all.. but the good news is that this plant has developed new root and the not turn brown.... I think i will give the a hair cut because i never done this before... hope this will solve my problem... Thank you for the advice....

Sony