Images
    Country
    Singapore

Perpetual infection on Corydoras snout

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    I always like cory particularly the panda and sterbias . However, I always eneded with them having this diseses starting form the mouth. The feelers will start to get shorter and eventually all gone. Otherwise the moutn will start to rot. Any expert have the same experiences and can you advise what do you do to treat it.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Malaysia
    Most of the time, if there are problems with barbels, the substrate has a lot to do with it. What are you using for your substrate?

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    I concur with Quixotic on that, I've kept them in lapis, ADA and Dennerle quartz, with no problem encountered so far.
    Something about the water & the fishes that calms me down.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by Quixotic
    Most of the time, if there are problems with barbels, the substrate has a lot to do with it. What are you using for your substrate?
    I have been using lapis sand and weekly water changes. The rest of the fishes are ok but it is always the cory that got it..

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Cories are cute fellas, I like the bandits. I used to have the same problem when I kept them with substrate bottom tank but since changing to bare bottom tank it has never occur again. However the downside is bare bottom tank looks dull.

Eric

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Malaysia
    I have been using lapis all the while and there are no problems for my cories whatsoever.

There are contradicting reports on the effects of nitrates on the barbels, but being the skeptical aquarist that I am, I am not inclined to believe it yet. Furthermore, you do perform water changes as well.

Perhaps more information may help.

1. Is it pure lapis or mixed with something else?
    2. Do you vacuum your substrate when performing water changes?
    3. What is the frequency of water change and how much is changed?
    4. What are the tankmates?

There could be "something" in your substrate if you do not vacuum it much. I always make it a point to do so during water changes.

I also suspect the problem is partly due to your cories are not in very good condition in the first place. Stress could very well be a factor in the conditions of the barbels.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Thank you for all the advice. Here are the information on the tank.

1. Is it pure lapis or mixed with something else?
    I only have lapis sand.

2. Do you vacuum your substrate when performing water changes?
    I did that everytime when I change the water.

3. What is the frequency of water change and how much is changed?
    I change about 50% of the water every week.

4. What are the tankmates?
    I have Apisto Juv only.

During the water change this week, I have suck out most of the lapis sand leaving only a very thing layer.

Is there any medication that can help??

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Malaysia
    Hmm.. that would rule out a few things... sharp substrate, high nitrate.

This is puzzling. I would probably put it down to stress and unhealthy specimens. Maybe others have different thoughts.

Once barbels are eroded, they are most unlikely to survive as they depend on the barbels to search for food, and may succumb to secondary infection easily. Worn barbes will take a very long time to grow back.

In any case, I have known Melafix to be good for external wounds. You may want to give it a try but with all medications, go easy on the dosage.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    From my experience..naughty Apistogramma species may some times attack the barbels of the corydoras. This really stress them out.

How thick is your substrate? Do you have base fertilizer?

Lastly, whilst we sometimes claim to be using lapis sand, there are from different source and could well be of a different grade. Corydoras uses their snout extensively for foraging. If the substrate contains any sharp grains, this could injure the fish. If the injury cannot heal due to prolonged damage, infection sets in. Do a finger pinch test to see if it hurts when you pinch a small amount gravel hard between your index finger and thumb.

Do keep us posted on your quest of the cause of this problem.

Cheers,
    I have dwarf cichlids in my tanks! Do you?

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    To be frank, substrate is only one factor. The other factor is the bacteria living in the gravel itself. Dirty substrates tend to cause the barbels to erode. Sometimes its a normal thing, sometimes its not. I have a skunk cory with partially eroded barbels but its still alive and feeding like an aquatic pig.

Nonetheless, you should try vacuuming the gravel with a gravel vac. It helps at times. If you're really afraid you can top up the gravel bed with a layer of fine sand. That is, provided you're willing to use sand. The sand can be rather difficult to lay into the tank, without it being disturbed in the water column. To do this you'd have to siphon out 90% of the water and lay the sand in slowly. Make sure its well-washed before you do this. Then let the sand settle down before you top the water back up. Use the old tank water stored away in pails for topping up, then you can use tap water to refill the tank up to the original level.
    Fish.. Simply Irresistable
    Back to Killies... slowly.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Thanks for all the advices.

I have keep the gravel to be very thin (About 2 mm). Reason is I heard that it is good to have it for the cory to forage for food. I do not used any fertiliser as the plant I have it in the tank seem to be doing well without it. I am very tempted to remove all the gravel, do you think it is ok?

Since the last post, I have vacumm the gravel, with the thin layer, I can say that it is very clean. As for the Apisto, I doubt that it will attack the cory, I think is more the Apisto got frightened by the cory , at least at this moment.

At this moment, I guess I will not do much change. Will continue with the 50% weekly water change and vacuuming of the gravel. If the situation remain or did not get worst. I will probable introduce new coryies and evetaully hope to start breeding them.. Wish me luck..

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Don't remove the gravel bed unless necessary. From what I have experienced, most cories do not like a bare-bottom tank. A thin layer of gravel will do okay, especially if you feed live foods like tubifex worms. Since these worms will bury into the gravel and hide, the thin layer of gravel allows the corys to dig around for these worms. The best kind of substrate for this application would be fine river sand. If sand is not suitable, a thin layer of Lonestar (aka RMC Pacific Materials? Lapis Lustre Sand) would do just as well.

Note however that the thin layer of sand will not allow most plants to take root so the only live plants suitable would be those that can grow tied to a piece of driftwood or rock, or those that can remain in the plastic pots without any problems.

Here's wishing you luck with breeding corys. The only time I ever succeeded was with Corydoras pygmaeus, and that was a lucky chance. The babies however, did not grow up to adulthood.

If you're planning to breed them, try the easier species like C. aeneus, C. paleatus, and of course, C. pygmaeus.
    Fish.. Simply Irresistable
    Back to Killies... slowly.