Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Removing 70 bags of ADA soil... now that's a feat. Just a question Tom, what is going to happen to those 70 bags of ADA soil that's been removed?
    visit my photo albums @ flickr!

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    United_States
    Yes, it was the only culprit.
    another person that used it on a large 16 ft tank has complained about the same thing.

But they are not going to make the change we did, it's a lot of work and cost, I do not do this for free after all I charge a lot but go all out to fix and restore things to their proper routines.

Regards,
    Tom Barr

Feedback Score
    Country
    Philippines
    hmm did a little googling and a lot of people complain about ada soil causing cloudiness too...

maybe i should just stick to the river soil we use here :P why fix something when it ain't broken hehehe

hmm but apperently its very good for shrimps and plants...

I tried contacting people for shipping ADA soil here a few mins ago and apparently its illegal to ship soil to the philippines....

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Malaysia
    I wonder if Amnao's tank has some soil at the back perhaps? The front is definitely just gravel and rocks.
    You can if you dare to fail - Stan Chung

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    I think its just new tank syndrome, I have 2 tanks using aquagravel and ada soil, both had the same result right immediately after the soil was added.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    United_States
    I think it's just Soil in the rear only.
    I saw something that looked like Soil anyway.

There are no foreground plants at all and mainly just wood bound plants for most of the tank, that makes taking care of it a lot easier.

I suggested a similar layout here...........but.......that did not go well
    It's not my personal tank

Regards,
    Tom Barr

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    United_States
    Quote Originally Posted by Jungle-mania View Post
    I think its just new tank syndrome, I have 2 tanks using aquagravel and ada soil, both had the same result right immediately after the soil was added.
    Oh no no, this tank had this for 6 months!!!

That's why, I gave it plenty of time to mature.
    If it was my personal tank, I probably would have been able to get it done, but the client would have to work a lot more and really tend it much more than he really should.

The tank would never had been 100%.

Regards,
    Tom Barr

Feedback Score
    Country
    Philippines
    WHOA 6 months and ADA soil still cause cloudiness ? I failed to review the dates,

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Wow, I can't imagine how you fertilize the plant. The cost I mean. I think you have to mix the chemical yourself.

It would cost a lot to use commercial fertilizer.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    United_States
    Quote Originally Posted by kenneth_kpe View Post
    WHOA 6 months and ADA soil still cause cloudiness ? I failed to review the dates,
    Yea, no sweat
    I'd thought it would have cleared up sooner myself, this was not predictable truthfully.

I know many are not patient enough, I tend to be very stubborn, generally I try everything I can to make something work and try and try.

But after some pint, I build a case against it and have to throw in the towel and say forget it. The client was very sheepish when he asked me about replacing it as it's a huge massive job to do, but we did it.

Now I'll likely save a lot more time and in the future, I have no less than 2-3 more tank's in this size range yet to do.

And the client will be very happy with me as well.

As far as fertilizers, we just use EI.
    Saves a bundle of $.
    We get 50lb sacks of KNO3 for 22$, 50lbs of KH2PO4 for 23$, MgSO4 about 2$ for 10lbs and traces are expensive, 60$ for 5 liters of TMG.

We use about 1/3 of a cup of KNO3 each dosing
    Once I get the dry trace mix done this summer, I can go from there and use it as well.

Regards,
    Tom Barr

Feedback Score
    Country
    Philippines
    haha i would guess you would be using EI

why use TMG and not CSM or any equivalent trace mix powder ?

by saying
    "Once I get the dry trace mix done this summer, I can go from there and use it as well."
    are you cooking up your own barr trace mix ?

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    United_States
    I prefer TMG and have blended some of SeaChem's attributes and TMG's together, as well as adding the best chelator mix using several differing types to target plant uptake over a wider range than either and for more of the trace metals. It's also specific for aquatic plant nutrient ratios compared over 54 species. Most are geared for terrestrial species.

It's about 10-15X cheaper also.

The other thing, it's available dry, so less shipping cost, about 10x less weight since you pay to ship the water. If you spill it, it does not make a mess.

I'll sell it to wholesalers though, no direct stuff.
    It'll be about 50$USD per pound, but that will make 50 liters worth.
    So if you spent 60-70$ a year now to use 5 liters, you'd spend 5$ a year.
    Not bad.

And given the lower shipping cost, can be sent most anywhere in the world.
    I'll likely sell it to a couole of folks in the USA, I have someone in the UK, one in Italy, one in Sweden, One in Brasil, one in Japan and one in Oz.

Regards,
    Tom Barr

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Malaysia
    I personally had a 5ft tank that never cleared for 5 months. I didn't know the difference between soil and sand at the time. duh!!!
    Not implying you don't but certain types of fish do add to the cloudiness as you might know already. [cories, plecos...]
    I was always replanting here and there without standing by a hose to siphon the cloud of dust. Needless to say my misery was complete when the whole tank was infected with hairalgae and BBA.
    Nowadays I try as best to let the plants cover up the soil before adding fish other than the odd yamato and oto. Pretty much a fishless cycle as ADA has all that bacteria and stuff to speed up cycling.

Your trace mix sounds tempting, any chance of you sending it to South East Asia? Singapore/Malaysia?

Feedback Score
    Country
    Philippines
    I have been trying to get a hold of a bottle of TMG for the longest time now, I will probably find some in sing when I pass by there.

With regards to terrestrial trace ferts.. thats the problem in the philippines.. its the only choice we have now hehehe we have been trying to brew up our own trace mix to help the local hobbyist with their trace requirements but there are some set backs.. (example would be kno3 is illegal in the Phil.hehe).

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    United_States
    Given the situation in some of the southern islands, I can see why they make KNO3 illegal, but gasoline, fuel, many other dangerous chemicals are illegal as well?

No.........and those that want to blow things up or harm others will find another a way. You really do not solve issues like that by making everything illegal. Witch hunts have done no good here nor anywhere. Uranium and Plutonium yes, nerve gas, automatic assault rifles etc. Gasoline can easily be made much more explosive than KNO3(no, I'm not going to tell you how, that's not the point here). Model rockets, blackpowder shooting etc and of course firecrackers where all part of growing up here for me and have KNO3 in them, but terrorist and goons do not use that type of stuff nor stump remover.

KNO3 is often available in pharmacies, as salt petre, or stump remover.

Regards,
    Tom Barr

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    I found it myself very difficult to get absolutely clear water with ADA. I had to resolve to water change weekly to get clear water, then then again, after 2-3 days, it had a lightly greenish tint (not green algae). But when I use lapis+JBL substrate, water is absolutely clear, ceteris paribus. However this is my experience, maybe tom's wiill differ
    ~ Ā q u ã O b s έ Ş Ş i ŏ ŋ ~
    Once you pop, You can't Stop
    http://aquaobsession.blogspot.com/

Feedback Score
    Country
    Philippines
    Yup I get your point, but sourcing kno3 is not impossible, apparently its being used as a food preservative before, (even until today and sourcing it as "food" kno3 is a bit more legal then "explosive" kno3, they should ban manure too since it can alse be used as an explosive ingredient.. pfffft...

hmm it seems like nobody has posted here that using ADA soil == clear water... why do so many people buy it !

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    because ADA is good for plants... as for tropical fish and plants is also great as it reduce PH to around 6 to 6.5...

ADA has high amount of nutrient within the soil which give u lesser trouble with unfert soil... for about 2 years max...

many other benifits just have to read the webby on the main site

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    ADA is very expensive though... Imagine 70 bags... phews...
    It is a massive project though...
    Hmmm.......... and usually new ADA soil tend to be too acidic...
    takes a few rinses to stabilise to pH 6.5. (personal experience)
    I tend to mix ADA with other other types.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Malaysia
    My tanks are really clear with ADA soil till it sparkles [must be the MH]
    I must say everybody's experience varies.

People also don't do 100% the ADA way and make do with DIY. So it isn't very surprising to see many types of answers.

I find that overloading with fish is one of the major causes.

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast