Images
    Country
    Singapore

My platy fries die immediately

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    This morning I checked and realised that in my breeding box my platies had spawned some fries.

However, they are all dead.

The breeding box is submerged into my main aquarium so there's not need for a maintainance of water.

Any idea why they die?

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Malaysia
    I don't like using those breeding boxes at all. The fishes will get stressed easily.

Sometimes, they give birth to the fries immaturely. So the fries may be under-developed and would succumb eventually. This may be happening to your fish.

BTW, platies are not characins.
    Last edited by Justikanz; 3rd Sep 2006 at 03:28.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    1) Breeding boxes are stressful to the female, especially if the box is small or she was chased and caught to be placed in it near term, causing her to have a miscarriage or give birth prematurely.

2) The breeding box is at the tank bottom? If so, the fries would not survive. I think they need atmospheric air to fill their swim bladders early after birth...
    Read me! :bigsmile: http://justikanz.blogspot.com/

I'm crypt collecting... Starting cheap, now have Cryptocoryne beckettii, C.beckettii var petchii, C.crispatula var.balansae, C.griffithii(Melted! ), C.nurii, C.parva, C.pygmaea(Melted! ), C.tonkinensis(Melted! ), C.walkeri, C.wendtii 'Brown', C.wendtii 'Green', C.wendtii 'Green Gecko', C.wendtii 'Tropica' and Cryptocoryne x willisii

Oh, juggling is hard work, man!...

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Just curious, does it matter if the breeder box is placed near the surface of the water level in the tank? I was recommending this method to my mother-in-law to breed her newly bought guppies.
    Dickson Goh *** IN SEARCH FOR AN EASY LIFE ***
    Just started blogging my experience in: http://www.dikiaquarium.blogspot.com/

2 ft planted tank, 2 ft low maintenance planted tank & planted shallow tank left now

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    It is important that the fries fill their swim bladder after being born. Else, even if they don't die, they will develop swim bladder problems later. They fill the swim bladder with atmospheric air... And lifebearers feed from the surface, so why place the breeding box on the tank bottom?

I'm crypt collecting... Starting cheap, now have Cryptocoryne beckettii, C.beckettii var petchii, C.crispatula var.balansae, C.griffithii(Melted! ), C.nurii, C.parva, C.pygmaea(Melted! ), C.tonkinensis(Melted! ), C.walkeri, C.wendtii 'Brown', C.wendtii 'Green', C.wendtii 'Green Gecko', C.wendtii 'Tropica' and Cryptocoryne x willisii

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Thanks Justikanz. This is something new to me. My idea is to put the breeder box near the surface of the water in the tank. Don't know what is the reason for nkthen to put his submerged. Maybe a lesson learned. Thanks for your reply.
    Dickson Goh *** IN SEARCH FOR AN EASY LIFE ***
    Just started blogging my experience in: http://www.dikiaquarium.blogspot.com/

2 ft planted tank, 2 ft low maintenance planted tank & planted shallow tank left now

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Just somewhere I remembered reading somewhere... Perhaps someone can confirm this...

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    OK, PC was down for a few days and now it's back, and I'm back.

Well, I realised that my female fish is dying anyway, so she 'let go' of her fry and then died an hour later.

I have a new Platy and just an hour ago, she laid 4-6 fries! From what I saw, 2-3 of them are swimming to the top, 1 turned upside down and one isn't moving at the bottom of the breeder box.

I dropped a couple of Liquidfry 2 and hope that it can help.

I'm going to get a bigger breeder box now, with slots at the side so that the water can run in and our easily. The breeder box looks dirty, I don't know why.

And yes, my breeder box is at the top of the tank.