Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

NEWater

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Is newater more suitable for softwater or hardwater fish or none?

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    dunno .. haven't seen any specification of it yet..

----------------
    On 7/18/2002 2:41:09 PM

Is newater more suitable for softwater or hardwater fish or none?
    ----------------

Feedback Score
    The question most important to me - would I want to drink it?! Purified sewage water! Yikes, the thought is revolting enough. Orange county in California uses newater and, aparently, the process employs reverse osmosis in one of the stages. So, its properties should be similar to the water derived by reverse omosis process employed by aquarists.

All the info are distilled and I'm a careless reader so take it with a pinch of salt.

Cheers,
    Roy

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    softwater
    apparently newater is microfiltration, RO and chemical treatment
    after this, it'll be as good as DI as far as i'm concerned
    don't be too perturbed by the origin []

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    water is just water - H2O with various levels of mineral content lah. Even the resevoir water we sue now would contain varying levels of contaminants (from dust to dead animals, not too mention waste matter) which are removed/filtered during treatment. So drinking water recycled from human waste is no big deal. Ever read Dune?

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    From what i understand, at lest according to the news reports, the only problem with this newater is the total absence of minerals. But i'm not quite sure what does this implies. We have to buy more additives to condition our water for the fish? But they are going to mix with reservior water 1st.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    hmm sounds like pure distilled water to me..

Feedback Score
    The day will come when I've no choice but to drink newater.

My primary concern is the concentration of contaminants. After all we're talking about slushy, gooey, smelly sewage. The govenment is going to mark me now []

Anyway, I know newater is safe and the process to produce it is so effective that it removes even minerals.

Roy

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    its a good thing. heh..

I think marine tank people don't need to buy RO units after that.. just tap water can top up tank immediately.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Also good lah, at least in a few more years, S'pore will not always be bullied like a little boy by our neighbour...every few months raise an issue about threatening our water supply or price increase...at least we will be self sufficient in this manner. (Actually, I thought LHs were introduced, by our "friendly" neighbours, to make S'poreans waste more H2O so that we will be in shortage of water supply and have no choice but to continue buying from them at their price...)

As for the heath reason...well just try to imagine what are the "stuffs" that are already in our reserviors now...yeah, that's right! Your regular fish poo, fish carcess, mud, soil, animal carcess, bird carcess...you name it. So there's really no big deal about newater if they treat it properly.

Anyway, the authorities are planning to put the newater back in to our reserviors, to help the water gain back some minerals, before treating it again and supplying it to our taps.
    Work Whenever, Fish Forever.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    They will mix wif res water so u never notice the diff, then they will buffer wif chlorine for hygiene & bring PH to 7 for less corrosion in the piping.
    & i guess they will post on their website the chemical make up.silicates/copper/conductivity...etc..etc as they do now.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    eZion, ahh, politics is a tough thing to be talking about lest we offend the higher echelons in our country. lol, blame not our neighbours for the introduction of LHs, but blame ourselves for over-relying on our neighbour. bullying happens everywhere. nobody's free from it. so we all have only one thing to do, go with the flow. patience and alot of toleration works in alot of ways. besides, drinking NEWater isn't that bad. []
    Fish.. Simply Irresistable
    Back to Killies... slowly.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    I think we also can create our own newater at home by using our aquarium accessaries to treat our own waste water like urine.

We can use Eheim filter to clear suspended particles and treat ammonia, use water conditioner to bind heavy metal, activated carbon to treat other harmful chemicals. RO unit for reverse omosis process to clear virus and bacteria, distillation to get pure water and UV unit for final sterilization. Do u think this can work?[] [] []

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    ----------------
    On 7/18/2002 10:56:41 PM

I think we also can create our own newater at home by using our aquarium accessaries to treat our own waste water like urine.

We can use Eheim filter to clear suspended particles and treat ammonia, use water conditioner to bind heavy metal, activated carbon to treat other harmful chemicals. RO unit for reverse omosis process to clear virus and bacteria, distillation to get pure water and UV unit for final sterilization. Do u think this can work?[] [] []
    ----------------
    [:0] How come I never thought of that heh []

Feedback Score
    We could also drink the urine straight up. Hehe... I'm not trying to be funny. Try doing a search in Yahoo and you will see quite a few sites dedicated to urine driking and how doing so is beneficial to health. Go check it out if you think I'm pulling your leg.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    ----------------
    On 7/18/2002 11:09:17 PM

[:0] How come I never thought of that heh []
    ----------------
    ^ _______ ^
    cos we've been indoctrinated since birth that drinking water comes from the tap, and money from the atm [] []