Feedback Score
    Country
    India

Smile Help! Fish dying!!

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    I have a tank size of 3 ft (L) x 1 ft (W) x 1.5 ft (H). It has an air stone, a submerged power filter (500 lt/h) and is moderately planted.
    Fishes in the aquarium:
    8-10 Guppies
    6-8 black mollies
    4-6 dalmatian mollies
    6 red wag swordtails
    2 striped peacock eels
    2 clown loach
    2 albino catfish
    1 suckermouth catfish
    3 Ramirazi
    2 Betta
    5 Tiger Barb

Recently 1 Tiger Barb, 1 Black Molly, 2 Guppies and 1 Ramirazi died. The only common symptom that I could find was that all of them preferred to be in isolation, hardly moving. The Molly sometimes scratched itself against the stone and sand. The surviving Ramirazis now appear colorless, some have red blotches on their skin and their fins and tails seem clamped (see pic). I am afraid that they will die too and am contemplating of keeping them separate. Can anyone tell me what disease is affecting them? Do I need to add salt (1-3%) in the water? What medicine do you suggest? Can I save the healthy fishes or will they all die? Please advise.

Surojit
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by surojit; 6th Sep 2006 at 11:58.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Hi Surojit,

How long have you had this tank setup ?

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    When fish rubs against stone or sand, it normally means that it is some kind of itch infection. I would apply some medication for itch and they would be fine in a couple of days...
    ========================================
    以敬还敬 再敬君也
    以辱还敬 再敬愚也

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Hi Surojit,
    Welcome to Aquatic Aquotient, If possible kindly get us a picture of a fish with the red sores. At the moment, change water, add aquarium salt and raise temperature to 30 if you have a thermostat. If not, nevermind. The picture would help us identify the intruder better.

Dream, fish don't suffer from itch but 'Ich'. I assumed that was what you meant.
    Something about the water & the fishes that calms me down.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    he he he... thanks for correcting
    ========================================
    以敬还敬 再敬君也
    以辱还敬 再敬愚也

Feedback Score
    Country
    India

Smile Thanks for replying. Here are more pics!!

Hello All:

Thanks for your concern. Below I have attached pics of fish that have succumbed to the mysterious disease. In the group pic, the Ramirazi on the top is the one I spotted dead just now and fished it out. The other two (Ramirazi and swordtail) died four hrs back.

I have noticed that fish with long tails (eg. Betta in pic) and guppies are beginning to develop frayed tails/fins. Another thing I noticed was that all Ramirazis show similar symptoms - clamped fins & tails and red blotches (like rash) in their underbelly (see pic).

I wonder whether it is due to water pollution (high ammonia or nitrate) or gold dust/rust/velvet/Oodinium (which presumably can be identified by clamped fins, fins and tail rot and red blotches on skin)?

I have started keeping the infected fish in separate container under observation. Should I 'nuke' the aquarium (clean the tank completely) or should I rather change just 40-50% of water?

I have applied Rid-All's 'anti-ich,' 'Koi and goldfish special' and malachite green in prescribed doses to both the general tank as well as the quarantine container. (Am I getting paranoid? I think I just saw some red rash-like marks near the gills of the striped eels.)

The tank was set up a month back.

I'll be glad if anyone can help me out identify and win over this mysterious killer.

Thanks again.

Surojit

P.S. - Hello Michael (moderator):
    I tried looking for fresh water aquarium salt. But it was not available in lfs. Was told to check back after 4-5 days. Same for thermostat. Also lfs told me to put on power filter for 24 hrs and not 5-7 hrs/day as I usually do.
    Last edited by surojit; 7th Sep 2006 at 02:19.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Your picture is not clear enought for postmortem exam. If it is ich, you will see white spots on the body. But then ich (Ichthyophthirius) seldom kill. If any fish die of ich, it is almost always due to secondary infection. So I think it is unlikely that you have an ich infection.

From the look of your tank, I think it is more likely that you have a case of poisoning. If your water parameters is good, the water should be very clear given that you have the tank for a month.

I would do a few things: (1) immediate take out the coral and the sea shells, and anything that may be leaching out unwanted chemicals (check your gravel - where are they from). (2) change the water - 3/4 with antichlorine added; (3) add activated carbon (or sutcliffe) to the filter; (4) maintain temperature at 28 deg C; (5) Add some aquarium salt (or if not available - get some sea water). (I would forget about adding the chemicals as they would stress the already stressed fishes). If you like, add a few Indian Almond (terminalia catappa) leaves. These leaves have anti-bacterial and anti-fungal properties, though they may tan your water a little (and will lower your pH, which I am sure is very high at the moment give what you have in the tank).

/John

Feedback Score
    Country
    India

Smile Thanks for the advice!!

Thanks a lot for your suggestion, John.

Today I have changed 2/3 water in the aquarium, adding 2 tablespoon of fresh water aquarium salt. I have also added anti-chlorine into the water (prescribed dose) and have set the temperature of the water at 30-31 deg. C.

Yesterday, the mysterious disease wiped out my entire Ramirazi population (6 in all). The killer also claimed the lives of 2-3 guppies, 2 black mollies, 2 red swordtail/wagtail and 2 Tiger Barbs.

Presently I notice that most guppies' tails/fins are disappearing. The same is happening to couple of lyretail (black) mollies and Betta. They are all in the main tank but under observation.

After changing the water, I have added prescribed doses of Rid All's 'Anti-fungus' and 'General Aid'. I hope they work.

Today I also added a 'cured' driftwood (weighed down with a stone) into the tank. The eels, corydoras (catfishes) and loaches seem to like the new addition.

Any suggestions?
    Last edited by surojit; 7th Sep 2006 at 21:04.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Hi Surojit,
    Maintain temp at 30 degrees and observe for the next 2-3 days. Their condition should improve. Do not do anything or dose any more medication within this period likewise for water change. Try not to increase the temp anymore as the fish will get very uncomfortable after 30 degrees.
    The pictures are too hard to call here, red patches might be Ichthyosporidium or red pest( bacterial ). Give it a couple of days, I'm confident with the current treatment program in place, the situation should improve. Also refrain from feeding until about 2 days later, if they feed by then they should be recovering.
    Something about the water & the fishes that calms me down.