Advertisements
Aquatic Avenue Banner Tropica Shop Banner Fishy Business Banner

Thread: How often to adjust CO2 for growth?

Hougang, Singapore / Tg Balai Karimun, Indonesia
    Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

How often to adjust CO2 for growth?

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Got me a 2ft tank of H. difformis planted very densely as it suddenly grow very fast and I didn't want to dump the trimmings... Tuesday evening when I return from work, I find that the CO2 level is 0.2pH lower than my desired level (ie tgt pH5.7, reading pH5.9), so I increase the bubble count.

By 12mn just before light out, pH have fallen to my desired level. Next evening, after work, measure pH and find it's gone back to the "insufficient by 0.2pH" level again. (Although bubble count have not decreased from previous night's setting) so I up the CO2 count again.

My question is this: Assuming that the plants are absorbing so much CO2 in return for the phenominal growth I'm now seeing, What should I do when I decide to do a massive trimming and remove all the trims? Reduce the bubble count?

Does anyone reduce your CO2 count after a massive trimming job? Never encountered such a high CO2 absorbing plant before.

Your thoughts please.
    Warm regards,

Lawrence Lee

brothers, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable--if anything is excellent or praiseworthy--think about such things.
    Philippians 4:8

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    nobody fiddle with CO2 after it is set? Even after a massive trimming exercise?
    Warm regards,

Lawrence Lee

brothers, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable--if anything is excellent or praiseworthy--think about such things.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    As long as the CO2 is within safe range for the critters via observation technique, there is no need to tweak the CO2 rate. You shouldn't trim the tank down to its initial planting stage either.

Regards
    Peter Gwee
    Plant Physiology by Taiz and Zeiger

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Thanks Peter.

Now that tank is cycled, I'm thinking of replacing the difformis with other plants. Thought I'd just chop off all the difformis and replace with other plants.

My worry is during the initial period as the new plants get acclimatised, wouldn't there be too much CO2?

Oh, guess I'll just run a powerhead at the surface every night till the new plants take over.
    Warm regards,

Lawrence Lee

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    You need some surface movement 24/7 rather than just the night. Yes, you would lose a bit of CO2 from that but you can always add more CO2 to account for that. Too little movement at the surface coupled with poor plant growth would mean low O2 for the critters and bacteria. It is safer to have moderate surface movement and add a touch more CO2 as a general advice.

Regards
    Peter Gwee
    Plant Physiology by Taiz and Zeiger