Advertisements
Aquatic Avenue Banner Tropica Shop Banner Fishy Business Banner
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: some pics of my 4' planted tank...

Feedback Score

some pics of my 4' planted tank...

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    1st time taking pictures of my maiden tank setup in may this year...

welcome any comments. i personally consider it a "rojak" tank. being 1st time, everything also want to plant

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    what's the plant on the left? looks more like a terresterial plant to me
    and don't worry about 'rojak' growth
    if the plants are healthy, you can always change the layout to something else
    be happy you have nice and healthy plants

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Wee, r u using 2 filter? Wah, crystal clear water!
    If you've learnt, teach, if you have, give.
    Don't walk behind me as I might not lead, don't walk in front of me as I might not follow. Walk beside me, as my friend.
    Mohamad Rohaizal is my name. If it's too hard, use BFG. I don't mind.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Very nice tank. []

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    and very sharp pics.. what u using?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    i think it is very nice!

who care's if it is a zabalang tank ?

Feedback Score
    Very nicely planted and very impressive pics. What type of camera did you use to take the pics - digital, 35mm point-and-shoot or 35mm SLR? Also, waht kind of filtration do you use? The water is crystal clear and no trace of algae! Mine look at a dump in comparson []

Feedback Score
    Hey, your 4'tank looks pretty tall too. Custom made?

Feedback Score
    thanks for kind comments. it's the result of learning from you guys. there are so many tips that can be picked up in this forum.

i always admire those nicely done tank with just few species of plants. the visual impact is greater. i have all 3 amano books. every time i look at them, i have this urge to tear down and re-do. but being new, i can't ready visualize the end result of my plan. don't have a good feel of how will the plant turn out after they glow. even this tank went through 3 small re-scape within two months since i set up.

this tank is 4x2x2. external filter is eheim 2028. two inlets at right back: the standard inlet pipe from eheim and a surface skimmer. the outlet is the supplied rainbar but mounted vertically at left back behind a wood.

photography is actually my hobby of decades. i am new to digital photo. have tried using a canon digital camera to take this tank but not satisfied with the result. these photos were taken using very conventional equipment: fully manual 35mm SLR sitting on tripod. at least i have full control on this setup. the film was then scaned for the digital images. in order to keep the images small, a lot of details were lost in scaling down the size.

thanks.

Feedback Score
    BTW, my biggest difficulty is remembering the plant name. i don't know all the name of my plant. so DEA, i can't answer your question on my plant

the next thing i will like to do is to replace the Aponogeton (ulvaceus?) at back of left side. it's growing too fast [] the leaves turn brown easily. any suggestion for replacement? something tall as backgroup plant with big nice leaves.

thanks.

Feedback Score
    what gravel are you using?...and how do you connect the 2 inlet, i.e Surface skimmer & the inlet hose together??...a t-joint?

Feedback Score
    ----------------
    On 7/20/2002 9:27:18 AM

what gravel are you using?...and how do you connect the 2 inlet, i.e Surface skimmer & the inlet hose together??...a t-joint?
    ----------------
    it's Dennerle gravel. yes, i use a t-joint for the two inlets.

Feedback Score
    ----------------
    On 7/20/2002 1:26:02 AM

photography is actually my hobby of decades. i am new to digital photo. have tried using a canon digital camera to take this tank but not satisfied with the result. these photos were taken using very conventional equipment: fully manual 35mm SLR sitting on tripod. at least i have full control on this setup. the film was then scaned for the digital images. in order to keep the images small, a lot of details were lost in scaling down the size.

thanks.

----------------
    Photography is one of my many hobbies too. I take mostly landscape and cityscape. A bit rusty since hasn't done any photography for ages and now trying aquarium photography. Have a digital cam but use it for snapshots bcos, like you, not satisfied with the results. Plan to use my 35 mm SLR and have got a few questions for you. Where do you place you flash - off camera and to your upper left/right or above the tank? Do you use micro/macro lens? Do you place your lens against the tank? Sorry for all the questions.

Thanks,
    Roy

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Wee: Ya, did you use any flash or just based on aquarium lights only? Aperture seem big, using macro lens? What speed of film did you use?
    I haven't had much success using SLR for tank photography. So I like to know too. Thanks!
    koah fong
    Juggler's tanks

Feedback Score
    roy,

same here. i hardly touch my gears for last few years. only for some candid occasions. i am not expert in taking aquarium photo. this was my first try. i will consider it a bit of "trial-by-error" approach. so we can learn from each other, and from many others on this forum.

these were the few considerations when i took the photos:
    1. photo taken at night. all room lights off so that there is no reflection on the glass wall
    2. no flashlight as the light can easily be reflected on the glass wall. remember, there is more than 1 piece of glass. for my tank, it’s well lighted up when all the lights are switched on.
    3. i didn’t use any macro lens. don’t think it’s useful as you can never move so close to the fish or plant. 3 fixed focus lens were used: 35mm, 50mm & 85mm. zoom lens will serve the same
    4. all shots were taken with exposure bracketing. i.e. -1, 0, +1 exposure of the meter reading. it turned out that the -1 ones are better in scanned images
    5. fully manual focusing (anyway mine is 100% manual slr). too many plants within close distance so difficult to predict the auto focus. using higher f-stop for bigger depth-of-view can overcome this problem but, depending on your film iso, the shuttle speed may be too slow and the fishes in movement will be totally blurred. besides, by controlling focus, aperture and shuttle manually, one can choose to highlight a particular plant or fish (like the apisto in last photo).
    6. as the shuttle speed can be too slow for handheld, i used tripod for every shot. as i couldn’t find my shuttle release cable, i used the camera timer

the reason i consider this is a trial exercise because, as i can predict the turn out on photos, i am not so sure of the effect after scanning. i am new to digital imaging and not familiar with tools like photoshop. i believe these tools can be used to enhance the effect.

i feel that the contrast of these photos are too high. the highlight is too bright and the dark spots are too dark. i will find time to take again during day time as the dark spots will have slightly more light from ambience. will have to use polarizer filter to control the reflection. this can be tricky as, from any angle, there will be at least two glasses (front and back) that may have different reflection. no sure yet. will have to try.

personally i feel that the problem with digital camera is that the dynamic range is limited as compare to film. the highlight can easily be washed out. the texture is totally lost. the scanned images from film is almost the same. just slightly better.

i am sure there are many experts in this forum. will like to learn from your experience.

thanks.

Feedback Score
    juggle,

nice tanks and nice photos that you have. all taken with digital camera?

the speed of the film used is iso400. it's actually an old film not used for 2 years. i was just giving it a try.

i just own a digital camera recently. not happy with the tank photos taken. as i am used to control manually, feel quite helpless with the camera. any tips? have seen so many nice photos of individual's tanks on the forums and personnel pages, i am sure the potential is there. just that i have not learn the tricks...

thanks.

Feedback Score
    wee, thanks for the detailed info. Much appreciated.

Roy

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Wee:
    I found I had better results with digital, using a Canon Powershot G1. Focusing is frustrating and I had to try a lot of times to get a good pic of fish.
    When using SLR, I found that it gives a greenish cast because of the FL lighting. Hard to correct even after scanning. The digital photo is easier to correct -- even on-camera because it has auto-white-balance function.
    Recently I managed to borrow a off-camera shoe cord so I use my flash from another angle. Will give it a try on my SLR (Canon EOS).
    Thanks for the sharing.
    koah fong
    Juggler's tanks

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Nice to know there are many shutterbugs in AQ ! I'm into photography too ! but more to Underwater photography. I tried both SLR camera and Digital camera U/Water system and still prefer the SLR camera system wide and macro slides end result []. Just my preference !

Safe Diving !
    akoh
    Safe Diving !
    Seeking for the Ultimate Diving Adventure !
    - Sipadan, Similan Islands, Burma Banks, Palau, PNG, Raja Empat ( planning for June 08 )

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    ----------------
    On 7/22/2002 9:58:58 AM

Wee:
    I found I had better results with digital, using a Canon Powershot G1. Focusing is frustrating and I had to try a lot of times to get a good pic of fish.
    When using SLR, I found that it gives a greenish cast because of the FL lighting. Hard to correct even after scanning. The digital photo is easier to correct -- even on-camera because it has auto-white-balance function.
    Recently I managed to borrow a off-camera shoe cord so I use my flash from another angle. Will give it a try on my SLR (Canon EOS).
    Thanks for the sharing.
    ----------------
    When using digital cams to take pictures of fishes or close up of plants, remember to use the macro function if there is one.
    Vincent - AQ is for everyone, but not for 'u' and 'mi'.
    Why use punctuation? See what a difference it makes:
    A woman, without her man, is nothing.
    A woman: without her, man is nothing.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast