Country
    Singapore

Newbie question : How to differentiate HC from V. nana

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Hi folks,

I would like to know.. how do you differentiate the Cyperus Helferi from the Vallisneria Nana.. both of them pretty similar rite?
    But I understand that the V.Nana is a much hardier plant.

thanks.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Cyperus helferi is sort of like a rosette plant, while Vallisernia nana produces many runners.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    thanks for your reply. Is it safe to assume that both the tips of the C. HElferi and the V. Nanas are different? The CH having a sharper tip and the V. Nanas have a more rounder tip ?

Feedback Score
    Country
    Slovakia
    Hi,
    found your post once again Other than the tips of the leaves you can look at the leaves themselves. Cyperus is a true grass, so it has a leaf kind of split in two parts by the central nerves which makes kind of keel or edge on the back side of the leaf. Vallisneria has a flat leaves, you can see the veins making some horizontal "rings", but there´s not this kind of crest in the middle of the leaf. I hope this helps

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    here's a picture of my unknown.. i actually cut it.. so the tip definition is not there.. but based on your description on the leaf.. perhaps we can have a deduction ?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Almost certain it's a Val. Cyperus has much lighter (grass green) leaves while Vals are slightly darker toned and the leaf edges can have an dark outline.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Slovakia
    Looks very much like Val That´s not a plant of Cyperaceae family since it doesn´t have the grass-like leaves. Don´t get mistaken by the tips, Cyperus has a REALLY sharp tips, but I didn´t say that Vallisneria has rounded leaves.

But I doubt it is V. nana, since it really has to have a very narrow leaves. With 5-7 mm width I would bet on V. spiralis, but I have no idea what other species of Val are available in your country + the photo is not enough to tell, so I better not guess
    I am talking about Vallisneria nana as we know it here in Europe (still quite a rare plant, especially where I live): http://www.tropica.dk/productcard_1.asp?id=056C

Feedback Score
    Country
    United_States
    That's definitely not Cyperus there; looks more like a species of Vallisneria like the others stated. Here's what my Cyperus looks like.

Eric

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    thanks folks,

its a Val. Now I am abit confuse.. i spent the weekend reading up on the Val. and some books say that its not a plant that requires strong lighting.. and there is another books that says that its an easy plant not require strong lighting..