Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Vallisneria Nanas

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    I understand that this a new strain of Vallisneria.. wonder if anyone has this in his/her possesion..

I am also confused whether what I have is a Vallisneria or a Cyperus Helfelri, because the place where I bought it, told me that wat I have is a Vallisneria, but of the short and straight version..

Attached is a picture of my vallisneria..
    Attached Images Attached Images

Feedback Score
    Country
    Slovakia
    I bought Vallisneria nana few days ago, it´s not planted yet, but looks really great Leaves 50-60 cm long, 2 mm wide. There´s a lot of new leaves and some young plants coming out and those reach up to 15 cm. I wonder how it is going to grow in my new tank, I´ve read that it could be used as a foreground plant or become nearly as tall as gigantea... so I don´t know where to plant it

I can´t tell what´s on your picture, some closer view would help. You can tell apart Vallisneria and Cyperus by looking an the tips of leaves - Cyperus does have a sharp tips, Vallisneria doesn´t. But I would guess it is Vallisneria what you have. Not the nana species, though.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by Raviolka View Post
    I bought Vallisneria nana few days ago, itīs not planted yet, but looks really great Leaves 50-60 cm long, 2 mm wide. Thereīs a lot of new leaves and some young plants coming out and those reach up to 15 cm. I wonder how it is going to grow in my new tank, Iīve read that it could be used as a foreground plant or become nearly as tall as gigantea... so I donīt know where to plant it

I canīt tell whatīs on your picture, some closer view would help. You can tell apart Vallisneria and Cyperus by looking an the tips of leaves - Cyperus does have a sharp tips, Vallisneria doesnīt. But I would guess it is Vallisneria what you have. Not the nana species, though.
    thanks for your reply.. as i look at your description.. looks like wat i have is not Vallisneria Nana.. because the width of these plants are around 5-7mm.. and the tips are sharp as well.. apparently... C. Helferi is a harder plant to keep.. now i am really angry with the seller.. he duped me into buying 50 stalks of these difficult to grow plants..

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Quite easy to tell a Val from a Cyperus. Val has flat leaf while the cross section of the Cyperus leaf is shaped like a V.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Another way is to look at whether the plants you bought have runners... If there are runners, it is a confirmed val rather than a C. helferi...
    ~ Vincent ~ Fishes calm your mind...
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/valice/

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Hi bk707, I like the way you plant your "vallisnersia". What type of gravel did you put below the lapis sand?

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by wks View Post
    Hi bk707, I like the way you plant your "vallisnersia". What type of gravel did you put below the lapis sand?
    Hi,

I am such a newbie.. I don't really know what those gravel is called? I went to the local fish shop.. because my planted didn't have enuff depth.. so i decided to get the gravel that looked slight bigger.. my bottom layer is with those clay looking substrate us by Ocean Free.. and the middle is of a slightly bigger size.. is that Lapis ? didn't know that...

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Hi everyone,

Now I believe that what I have is Vallisneria.. there are some signs of runners sprouting out.. but only by a few sister stalks.. considering that I have more than 50 stalks of Vallisneria..

Its not as green as it used to be.. it lost alot of its green.. showing a duller color.. I am suspecting a deficiency in Iron.. should I be dosing daily or every 2 days ?

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    The plant in your picture is a Vallisneria but not V nana.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by Green Baron View Post
    The plant in your picture is a Vallisneria but not V nana.
    Sorry.. Vallisneria is family name.. there truly is a new strain of Vallisneria Nana. Check out this website... http://www.tropica.com/default.asp

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by bk707 View Post
    Sorry.. Vallisneria is family name.. there truly is a new strain of Vallisneria Nana. Check out this website... http://www.tropica.com/default.asp
    Actually Vallisneria is a genus and not family name. V Nana is not new. It has been around more than a year. The leaf of the Vallisneria in your picture is too broad to be V. Nana.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Roger that!
    I am hoping that its a V. Spiral.. but it does spiral.. and also the width is around 7-8mm ... so i am still wondering what it is.. pretty sure that it's of the Vallisneria genus.. my goal is to try and get a planter full of nice Vallisneria.. I keep an Aro, and a couple of Bichirs, 3 FFs and 3 datnoids..

so the planter is for the feeder fish to hide.. at nite when the lights goes off.. the hunters will go to the planter to hunt...
    Attached Images Attached Images