Aquatic Avenue Banner Tropica Shop Banner Fishy Business Banner

Thread: Pecular & True Clown

Feedback Score

Pecular & True Clown

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Hi, can anyone share his/ her experience in keeping the pecular or true clown ?

The previous tank I had, used to be not successful in keeping them. Normally, after one day introduced this clown fishes into my tank, the next day they started to develop kind of slimy texture on their body or tiny white spot (looks like lice) stick to their body.

And it is really painful to see them suffer this way....

So before I'm going to introduce them into my new tank, I would like some advise.

[]

Hi Ivan,

I tried in vain to keep 2 maroon clowns before adding my present pair of perculas, which are perfectly happy now. The maroons also got the white spot thing and died later, but these 2 perculas were OK. I dunno if it's because of stress or not, but the difference was that I already had a carpet anemone aready in the tank when I added the perculas, and they settled in quickly.

Regards,
    Hong Yee

Feedback Score
    er...what temp. do i need to keep carpet anemone ? Mine is about 29 to 30 deg C. Is it Ok ?

Feedback Score
    So anyone got experience to keep pecular clown sucessfully? I'm kind of fear to get them (even though they are $ 1 fish) but not the money count. Is that as a Marine Hobbiest, I would like them to be happy, just like they are in the ocean reef.

Do give ideas or comments as to how to keep them in good shape. Oh ya, i think my water conditions are Ok since my cleaner shrimp, Blood shrimp, Boxer shrimp, star fish, flame angel....etc are happily swimming around my new tank. So don't know what the cause ?[]

IMO TRUE percula clowns r much more difficult to keep then common clowns.90% of the clowns suffer from brookynella disease when 1st introduced.

Formalin dip is one of the only ways to get rid of brookynella. If it is from a reef tank keep the fish quaretined for a while as the formalin will leech out of the fish for a while.dip for 45 minutes. This should be repeated every other day for a total of 3 treatments. Be sure to keep an air stone running in the dip.

if ur clown has Brooklynella it will develop a cloudy slime coat and white feces hanging out...

true perculas r priced at $12 each. n comes in once in awhile. 1 hv one....but 2 died from brookynella.they r olso quite picky abt their food.
    Acroporids and Tridacnids

----------------
    On 7/21/2002 9:08:58 PM

er...what temp. do i need to keep carpet anemone ? Mine is about 29 to 30 deg C. Is it Ok ?
    ----------------
    anemones dun do well above 28-29C......they need alot of intense light to thrive too.
    Acroporids and Tridacnids

Feedback Score
    Country
    Oman
    Hi,

I thought Maroon clowns are not so 'friendly' against other clowns. Pls enlighten me.

Southern tip of S.E.A and possibly blowing bubbles underwater
    Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    The previous tank I had, used to be not successful in keeping them. Normally, after one day introduced this clown fishes into my tank, the next day they started to develop kind of slimy texture on their body or tiny white spot (looks like lice) stick to their body.
    percular clowns are especially sceptical to white spots and velvet diseases.. the cure for such a disease is to use garlic juices, mix them with the food for them and feed them.. it will take abt 3 days b4 the disease is cured from the fishes. the result of such is usually stress and poor water quality

So anyone got experience to keep pecular clown sucessfully? I'm kind of fear to get them (even though they are $ 1 fish) but not the money count. Is that as a Marine Hobbiest, I would like them to be happy, just like they are in the ocean reef.
    those $1 clownfishes are called common clownfishes.. and some of them dun go to the anemones.. percula, like what spiff and mentioned, can cost from $12-20 at times.. depends on your relationship with the seller.... it is good that u want to provide the same environment for them.. it is a noble cause..and it should be the way..

Do give ideas or comments as to how to keep them in good shape. Oh ya, i think my water conditions are Ok since my cleaner shrimp, Blood shrimp, Boxer shrimp, star fish, flame angel....etc are happily swimming around my new tank. So don't know what the cause ?
    chances are, it is infected already.. just that, with stress of being in the new environment plus probably inquistive pecking from the established residents could have added to the stress factor.. coz if ur shrimps and all can survive, there is not reason why your percula should not survive

IMO TRUE percula clowns r much more difficult to keep then common clowns.90% of the clowns suffer from brookynella disease when 1st introduced.
    Formalin dip is one of the only ways to get rid of brookynella. If it is from a reef tank keep the fish quaretined for a while as the formalin will leech out of the fish for a while.dip for 45 minutes. This should be repeated every other day for a total of 3 treatments. Be sure to keep an air stone running in the dip.
    if ur clown has Brooklynella it will develop a cloudy slime coat and white feces hanging out...
    while it is difficult to see whether the fish had brooklynella, it is a matter of luck.. if possible, look at the tank environment which houses the fish.. even if the fish is very active, but the fishes ard it are sick, dun get it.. u are merely changing it location of demise. like what spiff had mentioned, most clownfishes are prone to those diseases...but u can try again with common clownfishes for starters.. then, when the fish is stablised, perhaps u can get the more expensive ones, the true percula.. but mind u, they are expensive..

I thought Maroon clowns are not so 'friendly' against other clowns. Pls enlighten me.
    maroon clowns are the most territorial of the lot.. some of them had characters and usually, once u purchase it, it will stake out a territorial perimeter and chase other inhabitants away.. and any other corals will be upset by it.. i have personally seen it overturning a plate anemone and dislodge a mushroom rock from its place.. and if there are some other species of clownfishes, they are usually attacked and most of the time, in fact, 99% of the victims will not survive the attacked..
    Let us work together to preserve the world for our children to inherit by being responsible to our surroundings. Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, bubbles and memories.

Feedback Score
    Hi,

Thanks for the info and this really give me the confidence to keep clown again. I will get 2 normal clown + a carpet anemone when the next shipment in this thurs.

[]

Southern tip of S.E.A and possibly blowing bubbles underwater
    Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Ivan,
    i would rather u go down the following day to purchase the live stock.. coz they are usually stressed from the prolonged journey.. let them recover and go down on friday or sat instead.. that way, u be able to select healthy pieces.. anyway, just for your info, some of the common clowns dun go near anemones..[]
    Let us work together to preserve the world for our children to inherit by being responsible to our surroundings. Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, bubbles and memories.

Ya, kel's right - my maroon clown refuses to get to the anemone last time, or any other substitutes. You'll be quite safe if the shop sells anemones that are housed in tanks that already have clowns around, so you can pick the fish and anemones that are compatible.

I anyhow whack and got lucky, haha. Got 2 different-sized clowns, put them together and they are now a pair (I think - no fighting or fin-nipping).

Regards,
    Hong Yee