Country
    Singapore

Tiger Lotus melting

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Hi,

I got a tiger lotus during the weekend, but now it seems to be dying somehow. The leaves were not damaged when I put it in the tank, but now there are holes in the leaf, as if they are being burnt.

The leaf was green on the top surface and purple-ish at the bottom when I got them. Now, the top surface looks to be turning blue-ish.

Anybody knows why they are dying? I'm thinking that maybe the light is too strong?

I re-scaped my 3 feet tank the day i placed the tiger lotus into the tank, and did a 25% water change. I'm also dosing potassium nitrate (1/4 teaspoon) and potassium phosphate (1/8 teaspoon) every other day. I've also just installed a solenoid and an internal reactor to help with the CO2.

Ben

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Ben,

Could you provide more of your tank specifications? Eg. actual size of tank, wattage of lights? etc.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Yar, maybe light is too strong. But this plant is suppose to like light, isn't it? Or would you wanna position your plant away from the direct light? Some distance away may help.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Hi kemp,

The tank is 3 x 1.5 x 1.5. I don't know the wattage of the lights, I'll go back to check tonight. I got them when I got the tank from C328. Its rainbow brand, 3 feet T5 lights i think. It has 3 tubes, 2 of which are normal white light, and one of it is blueish (?).

The tank is not heavily stocked with plants, but not too little too. About slightly more than half (the floor space) planted. Lapis sand, with JBL fert below. Tank has been around since June, but re-scaped it at the time I put in the lotus.

Ben

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    I just found out that I have 4 x 21W tubes in my lights. Is that enough / too much for a 3 foot tank? The lights are turned on for about 9 hours each day.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Remove any leaf that appears to be melting. Holes are ok, as long as the edges of the hole are not melting. It may just be adapting to your tank conditions. Tiger lotus are easy plants and adaptable as long there is at least moderate light.

The main thing is, it must have at least ONE leaf to survive. If you have to cut all the leaves off, dig out the tuber and let it float. Or (especially if it won't float) anchor it on the substrate, un-buried in the brightest part of your tank. Soon new baby leaves will grow. Let those get to about 1.5 inch in diameter before re-planting. If you are planting in a shaded area, let the leaves get taller first. They will need the light to sustain growth till it can keep enough big leaves in the light, while the baby leaves grow.

They are heavy substrate feeders, so put a substrate fertiliser plug like Root Monster about 2 inches away from it's tuber (once you have it in it's permanent location).

I think it should be red tiger lotus because the leaf bottom is purple. If the green leaves are very smooth on top, those are the floating leaves. New submerse leaves will be reddish with streaks of green and muted bronze. The floating leaves may just be dying to adapt to the new submerse conditions.

Pics?
    Vincent - AQ is for everyone, but not for 'u' and 'mi'.
    Why use punctuation? See what a difference it makes:
    A woman, without her man, is nothing.
    A woman: without her, man is nothing.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by benchan21 View Post
    I just found out that I have 4 x 21W tubes in my lights. Is that enough / too much for a 3 foot tank? The lights are turned on for about 9 hours each day.
    Oh, get rid of the blue tube. All your tubes should be white for a planted tank. 6000 Kelvins and above.

84W of T5 for about 40 USG of water... I would consider as high light. Are those high output T5s?

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    What is the blue tube for? It came with the lights when I got the whole setup. 6000 Kelvins? Do they write that on the tube? One more ... how do I know whether its high output T5?

84W of T5 for about 40 USG of water... I would consider as high light. Are those high output T5s?
    Vinz, is that bad? Should I reduce it?

New submerse leaves will be reddish with streaks of green and muted bronze. The floating leaves may just be dying to adapt to the new submerse conditions.
    I think the melting has paused for now. the holes and the change in colouring are still there. I think you are right that its adapting to the new conditions. But I think that the plant almost died while adapting. Hopefully, it'll start growing soon.

I'll try to get a picture of the lotus here this weekend.

Thanks all.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Usually they lnclude the blue tube for marine tanks. Actnic tubes, I think.

Most manufacturers do print the kelvins on the tube. If not they will at least rate them as 'warm white', 'daylight', etc. You are looking for 'daylight' tubes. Depending on the manufacturer, it's around the 6000Kelvins. Manufacturers vary by a few hundred kelvins.

Nah, the plant probably won't die. At most it'll go dormant. I've found baby tiger lotus (these are actually water lilies) tubers the size of green peas with no leaves in my substrate during tank revamps, tossed them to float in other tanks and they'll sprout new leaves. If yours ever dissappear, just dig up the tuber. If it is still firm (i.e. not mushy), it can regrow under good light and fert.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    dont worry about lotus plants
    usually when they adapt into a new tank they'll look to be in pretty bad shape.
    always melting and looking generally unhealthy
    but after awhile new leaves will sprout and after it grows in you won;t believe how well they do