Images
    Country
    Singapore

Red face Hole-y Bags?

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Hi, I don't know if I've violated the rules in some way. New to riccias and mosses. Need plenty of advice and opinions from experts. Please delete this thread if needed. Thanks.

If I could borrow kkloo74's recently posted pictures (about 4), making reference to it, I would like to know what are those white mesh-y bags? Plants or ... ?

If they are plants, How do we plant plants this way? What kind of plants are suitable? Mosses or Riccia?

What will be the effect achieved? How do we maintain these bags? Won't the content in there, due to insufficient light inevitably, be rotten someday?

And, anyone knows of any place where they sell these hole-y bags? (can be self made... but troublesome )

Thank you in advance!

*pai seh*
    Last edited by jacquetlc; 6th Oct 2006 at 09:01. Reason: want to ask for source of bags

Hougang, Singapore / Tg Balai Karimun, Indonesia
    Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Those are not holey bags. They're net that's used to wrap the riccia to stone. Easier than winding a fishing line.

You can buy a bag of garlic at NTUC, and use the bag. A nicer one is to use those very fine black hair net that the Ah Sims use to hold their hair in place. Much more invisible, but cost more than the garlic bag.
    Warm regards,

Lawrence Lee

brothers, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable--if anything is excellent or praiseworthy--think about such things.
    Philippians 4:8

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Very Interesting!!! Now I'm really excited about this whole new idea of landscaping my shrimp tank! somehow think something is missing/lacking, no life in my landscape currently!!! Now I've got more gimmicks!!! *flip-flop somersault*

Does that mean I can trap my moss this way too? Will the trapped moss at the centre rot due to no light?

It's so so so so so so so COOL!

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    I usually buy the bathfoam thing, I do not know what do you call it , something to use with the shower gell. Easy to find, NTUC, Gardian, Watson and come with different collor red, green, blue, red

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by jacquetlc View Post
    Very Interesting!!! Now I'm really excited about this whole new idea of landscaping my shrimp tank! somehow think something is missing/lacking, no life in my landscape currently!!! Now I've got more gimmicks!!! *flip-flop somersault*

Does that mean I can trap my moss this way too? Will the trapped moss at the centre rot due to no light?

It's so so so so so so so COOL!

You wrap only a thin layer of they plants below, so all of them will get light and grow. Moss is usually ok because they are slow growing and do not need strong lights. Over time you may have to take out each rock and give them a hair cut.

For riccia... what I call beginner's bane because they entice so many beginners, only to prove to be a troublesome plant... grow pretty fast and need strong lights. The netted riccia will grow new fronds outside the net which in early stages remain attached. Over time, the mass outside the net gets so large, it's combined bouyancy slowly causes it to detach from the netted riccia. Also, due to lack of light the original netted riccia often die and eventually let go too.

For riccia to work, you need to remove the access plants and/or re-tie the whole lot.

One trick Amano does is to net excess riccia on to new rocks, and just drop them on top of the original bunches to weigh them down. That's how he creates the rolling hills of riccia.
    Vincent - AQ is for everyone, but not for 'u' and 'mi'.
    Why use punctuation? See what a difference it makes:
    A woman, without her man, is nothing.
    A woman: without her, man is nothing.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    hi vincent!

Quote Originally Posted by vinz View Post

The netted riccia will grow new fronds outside the net which in early stages remain attached. Over time, the mass outside the net gets so large...
    U mean to say that they are 'crawlers' as well? ... they will grow widely spread out on the bottom of the tank?
    Last edited by vinz; 9th Oct 2006 at 12:06. Reason: Removed garish, hard to read colors and used quotes instead.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    No they don't creep. New leaves will grow from/around the existing ones. Initially, they are attached to, or interlocked with other leaves, so they stay in place. But Riccia in their bright green form is bouyant. Once there is enough new leaves, they will collectively lift and detach themselves off the older/dying leaves at the bottom of the mass.
    Vincent - AQ is for everyone, but not for 'u' and 'mi'.
    Why use punctuation? See what a difference it makes:
    A woman, without her man, is nothing.
    A woman: without her, man is nothing.