Advertisements
Aquatic Avenue Banner Tropica Shop Banner Fishy Business Banner

View Poll Results: What brand of Plant fertiliser you used ?

Voters
225. You may not vote on this poll
  • Dennerle

20 8.89%
  • Seachem

82 36.44%
  • Ocean Free

10 4.44%
  • Tetra

9 4.00%
  • ADA

33 14.67%
  • Others (please specify)

71 31.56%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Brand of plant fertiliser used

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore
    Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Quote Originally Posted by Plantbrain View Post
    I've used TMG going on 15 years?
    I've tried Kent, Sera, ADA and Flourish etc.
    Many folks have ended up going back to TMG.

As far as macro nutrients, it does not matter, NO3 is NO3, PO4 is PO4, K+ binds with no organic molecules, so it's the same, Ca++, Mg, SO4, Cl etc

Does not matter where it comes from, it's still the same stuff.
    KNO3 runs 15$ for 50lbs here.
    Why should I buy it diluted with a name brand on the the bottle and pay extra for water/shipping?

15$ is what one little bottle of the ADA cost, and the 50lbs will last till I have grandkids and they have planted tanks. I also know precisely what is in it, KNO3, pure and simple, a dosing calculator can easily help anyone dose it dry.

I've been testing a new trace of my own design.
    It'll be about 10-20X cheaper than Flourish and TMG.
    And it'll be sold dry via Greg Watson etc.

Unlike the macro nutrients(other than say Mg), chelators vary in the name brands as do the ratios. Few measure the other trace metals other than Fe.
    It used a mix of chelators, a weak highly bioavailable one and stronger longer lasting one, and unlike just Fe, these same mix of chelators will be applied to all the trace metals, not just Fe only.

Plants all use the same building blocks so delivery is all that's left.
    Chelators that are specific for the KH's we typically find can do this easily.

At that point, I'm free of any name brand, cost 20X less, easy to determine concentrations, cheaper to ship and grows the plants better.

Regards,
    Tom Barr
    Wah ! 50lbs(~22.6KG) for $15US ~ $18SGD. In Singapore, KNO3 1kg cost $8-$9 SGD. That's a lot of profit for just pure chemical form. May be AQ member can do MO from local supplier.

Tom, who is Greg Watson ? Is it a store or forumer ? what is the dry trace pack size/weight ? Must it be premix with water as storage first? How many doses can each pack last for a 6'x2'x2' tank ? Roughly how much would it cost ?

Cheers

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    United_States
    The USA grows a lot of food, so we have a massive economy driven by such products. California alone, in a small percentage of the state 's land, grows far more rice than all of Japan. And we have 49 more states.........

You should be able to get it from the mainland or China pretty cheap.
    But who knows with SG...they might call you a terrorist

Greg was someone that started helping folks by selling the bulk ferts for PMDD and then EI methods. He visited forums etc but it was mainly just a hobby.

It did very well and he recently sold the business to a local CA friend of mine.
    They are committed to helping folks and have excellent service, so I'd imagine they will only get bigger.

I'll be adding my own developed trace element mix coming up, one for marine plants, one for Fresh water, and another super red*(does not use Fe or lowering NO3 to produce red color, nobody has a clue what is in it and I'm not telling).

These will be sold dry and be about 15-20X cheaper than Seachem or TMG.
    But.......they will be better, they have the advantages of both and then some, without the issues. Even if they could copy it, they would never drop their prices by 1000% Shipping is also 10X less since you do not pay for shipping the water. Eg 1 lb will make 50 liters and run about 50$. Try shipping 50 liters, that would run not quite 100lbs in weight. Where do you put that much stuff also?

I think I'll have the only marine specific pH trace for macro/plants available on the market. It'll be less, about 25$ lb.

But bottoming out the markets on such product lines and bringing the products to the people direct makes a specialized market niche that cannot be competed with.

Other folks can do it also, clubs can do group buys(very popular here) to reduce cost and buy in bulk.

I am looking for a person, a hobbyists that sells such ferts there locally in SG also to sell the Matrix Micro nutrients also. I have 2 in the USA, one in the UK and will have one in Oz as well.

Regards,
    Tom Barr

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Malaysia
    tried OTOTO and also Mr. Aqua.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    I use Dr. Mallick lushgro ferts, they are comparatively very very cheap, many people on the forum use lushgro and have developed spreadsheets so that you can mix the contents to get ppm levels you need.

Calculator link below
    http://www.aquaticquotient.com/forum...5&postcount=56

I was buying 3 ltrs Macro & 1 lt Micros of Dr Malick’s ferts all the time. Crusader on the forum will even deliver for a small extra cost with made a big difference if one gets busy.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Where can i get Dr Malick's ferts? And how much do they cost?

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by kaym View Post
    Where can i get Dr Malick's ferts? And how much do they cost?
    You can find it at NA. 1kg of KNO3 and 1/2kg KH2PO4 should cost you less then $20. I believe it can last you for more than a year.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Looks complicated to mix them in quantities.... afraid of overdosing. Is there a simpler chart by means of tank size. Eg 5 gallons = 1/2 cap.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Malaysia
    Hi kaym,

I presume you are keeping shrimps of the expensive kind?
    Best you start a new thread to get a more direct answer.
    You can if you dare to fail - Stan Chung

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Dr. Mallick LUSHGro K2SO4 & Micros
    Calcium Carbonate
    Powersand Special & Aquasoil
    I'm back!

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    United_States
    It's not more complicated than making cookies or pork buns.

Add 1 teaspoon of KNO3 to a 80 gallon tank will add 10-11ppm of NO3.
    If you have 50% weekly water changes, then it can never build up to 20-22ppm and that assumes zero uptake by plants also.

So 10-20ppm of NO3 is the maxmimum.
    If the plants use more than 10-11ppm per week then you will need to add more but you do so every 2-3 days.

Now you can add 1 teaspoon to 100mls of water and dose that 100mls/7 and this will give you 10-11ppm/7 = 1.4-1.6 ppm of NO3 per day if you 14mls per day of this solution.

That's an additional step and adds the KNO3 daily instead, you can try to do it with powders but the samller amount sare harder to add accurately.
    So you can add them to water.

See the claculator.
    Do not get scared about the ppms etc.

Just add the suggested amounts for your tank size for NO3, PO4, traces and GH.

That's all and add good cO2 that's stable.

Regards,
    Tom Barr

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Just started using Wondergro Aqua+ & Wondergro Micro+

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by Ben Lim View Post
    Just started using Wondergro Aqua+ & Wondergro Micro+
    Bro, it's Wonder-gro Macro+ & Micro+ .
    Cheers,
    U.K.Lau

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    i use mr aqua

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore
    I am using Seachem Flourish & Trace. So far, there is no problem for my 2ft planted tank. To make my planted more vibrant, I intend to add macro nutrients using Dr Mallicks product.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    I'm using easylife pro-fito and monster root so far my 2 month tank is doing well.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore
    I'm using ADA special lights, brighty K, ECA, Green Gain

Feedback Score
    Country
    Indonesia
    I'm using Wonder-Gro series...

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    i use jbl , cheap and good
    I LOVE ADA PRODUCTS

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore
    Actually, I feel after trying out many fertilisers and still experimenting with some, there is NO ONE BEST fertiliser in the market. It's more of a combination of a few to suit the health of your tank that you want. For example, I'm using ADA fertiliser to complement my ADA substrate as they are design to work in pair while now toying around with Seachem phosphate to reduce and eliminate GSA by increasing phosphate level. Result is good after 3 days with no GSA or other algae appearing I'm using Dennerle S7 to supply the needed vitamins for plants and fishes as well and results are very good too!

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    i am experimenting between tetra, ocean free and seachem. but i dont dump all in together. i test each of them in various tub of moss

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast