Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Eheim Filters - Decision, Decision, Decision

Feedback Score

Eheim Filters - Decision, Decision, Decision

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Hi all, I'm a new to marine aquarium. Recently setup 2ft tank with 2 clowns, 2 hermit, 1 banded coral shrimp, 2 anemones. planning to have 8-10 fishes(max) and 2 more corals. currently running on 3-tier top filter, UGF filter powered by overhead. thinking of getting a Eheim filter. couple of questions need clarification:

1. Which model should i get for my 2ft tank?
    2. Should I get a higher range model so that it could produce better water quality ?
    3. what is the est. cost of the model you recommend ? (assuming brand new)
    4. what else do i need to know b4 investing $$$ ?

Thanks in advance.

Southern tip of S.E.A and possibly blowing bubbles underwater
    Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    firstly, welcome to the dark side.. hehehe

planning to have 8-10 fishes(max) and 2 more corals.
    for your 2ft tank, 8 fishes is too much.. and i dun even know what kind of fishes u are talking abt..if u are keeping something like dwarf angels and clownfishes, i dun recommend having more than 5 max.. and corals, u can have mroe than that.. but..
    1. is your water quality abt to support them?
    2. what is your lighting systems?
    3. what is your current water parameters; NO2, NO3 etc
    4. What is your water temp?

thinking of getting a Eheim filter. couple of questions need clarification:
    before u get that.. ask yourself this, will i be upgrading the tank in the near future?if it is just gonna be 2ft, then, this is what i can recommend

1. Which model should i get for my 2ft tank?
    personally, i would go for 2227 coz it is wet/dry filter.. but it is ex..ard 300 region i think alternatively, u can get a 2224 or 2026 which are ard the mid 200 region.. u can never overkill filtration coz in their natural environment, the filtration is 100% every sec
    2. Should I get a higher range model so that it could produce better water quality ?
    water quality does not come from filters.. rather from regular maintenance.. what the filter can do is to help u to break down the waste and remove them but that does not really equate to having better quality water in that sense that i perceive
    3. what is the est. cost of the model you recommend ? (assuming brand new)
    read above.. those are new product prices
    4. what else do i need to know b4 investing $$$ ?
    get a book on marine keeping.. trust me.. it will help u.. me still refer to them from time to time.. btw, do go for a protein skimmer...dun have to get expensive ones.. a simple one will do.. Me using ORCA for my 4ft.. serves me well.. get a hydrometer.. floating or those plastic ones.. also can..
    u might want to read the posts by some of the forumers here...
    setting up marine tank
    marine books
    Let us work together to preserve the world for our children to inherit by being responsible to our surroundings. Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, bubbles and memories.

Feedback Score
    Kel,actually, my 2ft tank is still under cycling stage.

History of tank.
    Week 1: Run tank in saltwater only
    Week2: Change 30% water with purchase water from Pac Marine.
    Run tank with live rocks and 2 clowns, 1 banded shrimp, 2 hermit crabs and 2 anemones (brown in color. Was told it’s pretty hardly kind.)
    Week 3: Present

I know it’s kinda quickie. I do not plan to add anymore fish or invertebrates till 4-6 weeks later. Let tank fully cycle first.

Okay back to those questions:
    Is your water quality abt to support them?
    Water quality seems ok from the look at it. How do I measure water quality?

What is your lighting systems?
    Currently light is 2ft white and UV light. (don’t think its those 10K. Just simple fluorescent tubes that recommended by marine LFS.)

What is your current water parameters; NO2, NO3 etc. What is your water temp?
    Will post the reading tonight. Temp about 29-20c

thinking of getting a Eheim filter. couple of questions need clarification:
    before u get that.. ask yourself this, will i be upgrading the tank in the near future? if it is just gonna be 2ft, then, this is what i can recommend.
    Eheim filters to use for current 2ft tanks or at most 3ft tank in future.

Which model should i get for my 2ft tank?
    personally, i would go for 2227 coz it is wet/dry filter.. but it is ex..ard 300 region i think alternatively, u can get a 2224 or 2026 which are ard the mid 200 region.. u can never overkill filtration coz in their natural environment, the filtration is 100% every sec
    Got a quote today from LFS on 2206(pro II) at $288 at Marine Parade.

thanks...

Feedback Score
    oops, water temp is about 29-30c...

Feedback Score
    er... i'm no expert but i'd suggest u remove ur UGF.

Ya, UGFs are highly not recommended, since detritus tends to accumulate and clog up the whole thing, causing your nitrates to shoot up and in worse cases can cause H2S to be produced.

<How do I measure water quality?gt;
    Just do your usual tests - ammonia, nitrite and nitrate. The first 2 should read 0 ppm if possible, nitrates try to keep below 60ppm.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Dfstan, Eheim Pro II 2026 will cost u ard $240 at Nature Aquarium.
    If you've learnt, teach, if you have, give.
    Don't walk behind me as I might not lead, don't walk in front of me as I might not follow. Walk beside me, as my friend.
    Mohamad Rohaizal is my name. If it's too hard, use BFG. I don't mind.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    History of tank.
    Week 1: Run tank in saltwater only
    Week2: Change 30% water with purchase water from Pac Marine.
    Run tank with live rocks and 2 clowns, 1 banded shrimp, 2 hermit crabs and 2 anemones (brown in color. Was told it’s pretty hardly kind.)
    Week 3: Present
    that is pretty fast... me waited for abt a month for cycling the tank b4 i added my first coral and fish.. give time to your tank to settle down.. then add corals and fishes slowly.. dun forget this.. at this stage, your filtration is not fully capable of breaking down the bio-load inside your tank... and adding more might just crash your entire system and u would have to restart.. which, is very expensive.

Okay back to those questions:
    Is your water quality abt to support them?
    Water quality seems ok from the look at it. How do I measure water quality?
    my friend, u can't tell water quality from the looks of it.. u need to test it... just like clear water may not mean that it is good.. it might be acid for all u know.. u need to use test kits to check for the parameters.. using test kits.. basic test kits are like NO2, NO3, NH3...

What is your lighting systems?
    Currently light is 2ft white and UV light. (don’t think its those 10K. Just simple fluorescent tubes that recommended by marine LFS.)
    which brand of FL are u using.. some LFS can just give u lights whose spectrum do not meet the requirement of your corals.. however, if u just have fishes, u dun need 10K lights.. 6500k will do.. for viewing purposes..UV lights?? or is it just blue lights such as interpet bluemoon FL tubes??? a lot of difference leh..

What is your current water parameters; NO2, NO3 etc. What is your water temp?
    Will post the reading tonight. Temp about 29-20c
    it is fine.. maintain it in that temp

Got a quote today from LFS on 2206(pro II) at $288 at Marine Parade.
    try asking petmart, nature or C328.. u might be able to get it cheaper..btw, it is 2026 not 2206.. for a moment, i was stunned and blurred.. ahhahahaha
    []
    Let us work together to preserve the world for our children to inherit by being responsible to our surroundings. Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, bubbles and memories.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Oman
    Just with so many life stock, u need a powerful protein skimmer.

maybe u would like to consider investing in some NH4, NO3 NO4 test kit. U willbe surprise from the test!

Feedback Score
    Here is the results....tested on 21 July 02 (Sunday).
    ph=8.4
    Salt level=1.020
    Ammonia=1.10ppm
    NO2=0.2ppm
    NO3=1.50ppm

Are these results alarming ????

One more quick question. the smaller clown seems to be bullied by the other bigger clown. always curl its body when got peck on. shd i jail the bigger clown?

thanks again...

----------------
    On 7/25/2002 11:05:45 PM

ph=8.4
    Salt level=1.020
    Ammonia=1.10ppm
    NO2=0.2ppm
    NO3=1.50ppm

Are these results alarming ????

----------------
    NO3 is EXCELLENT.

Your NH3 is waaayyy too high though, and NO2 is also on the high side. Try to get these 2 parameters down to 0ppm before adding anything else.

Also, I think your salinity is slightly low - I keep mine at 1.023. It's OK for fish though, but raise it slightly if you can. BTW, just wondering what salinity you guys are keeping your tanks at - Kel, Spiff?

Regards,
    Hong Yee

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    ph=8.4
    Salt level=1.020
    Ammonia=1.10ppm
    NO2=0.2ppm
    NO3=1.50ppm
    ---------------------------
    i keep my SG at 1.023-1.024

HY, the reason why the NO3 is so low is b'coz the tank is just started to cycle..

dfstan,
    my advice is, dun add any more stuff and wait till u get both your NH3 and NO2 down to zero.. as for the fish fighting... what is the difference in size??

Feedback Score
    Country
    Oman
    From the looks of the results, your tank may not be fully cycled. If it is fully cycled, NH4 and NO2 shld be zero rite?

Feedback Score
    Regarding the clown fish fighting, ... what is the difference in size??
    Bigger clown measure about 1.5 inch. Smaller one about 1.25 inch.

Since my tank not fully cycle yet, can i add more live rocks and 1 cleaner shrimp ?

Live rocks seems out of stock islandwide. Anybody knows where could get quality live rocks ?

thanks...

Feedback Score
    Country
    Oman
    True, me also difficult to get some LR. Went Hong Leong last week dont have also.

Feedback Score
    you might wanna try our southern island. I bet there are a lots of them laying on the seabed. It Free, provided you dun get caught....[]

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Since my tank not fully cycle yet, can i add more live rocks and 1 cleaner shrimp ?

-------------
    LR yes.. other living stuff.. no... the fighting is probably due to the space..

Feedback Score
    Hi Kel, everytime when the bigger clown attack the smaller one, the smaller clown quiver a while. It's kinda cute seeing it quiver but hate it will do damage to it...

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Hi Kel, everytime when the bigger clown attack the smaller one, the smaller clown quiver a while. It's kinda cute seeing it quiver but hate it will do damage to it...
    ----------------
    when u mean attack.. does it like rip off some scales?? if not, it is just trying to stake its authority.. now worries.[]

Feedback Score
    Hi Kelstorm,

- Any reasons why you said 8-10 fishes are too much ? Because in my 3 Ft. Fresh Tank, I keep more than 100 fishes !! and all are doing fine.Can please enlighten me on this issue ? And only 2 Corals ??!!

Cheers
    Marlin

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast