Advertisements
Aquatic Avenue Banner Tropica Shop Banner Fishy Business Banner

Thread: a pair of male Betta Splendens together?

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

a pair of male Betta Splendens together?

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    I was told that it is possible to train two hybridised betta splendens to live together in a tank, is this true? I am very tempted to try it out, but would like to hear other people's experience first.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    I think you meant domesticated, not hybridised. if hybridised then they can no longer be called B. splendens.

however to answer your question, if you have a longish tank with plenty of cover, then they will each take one corner and guard their territory.
    why I don't do garden hybrids and aquarium strains: natural species is a history of Nature, while hybrids are just the whims of Man.
    hexazona · crumenatum · Galleria Botanica

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Thanks for the correction, but will there be a big battle between them? last I want is damaged fins or a dead fish?

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Definitely will see torn fins. You wont see deadfish if they are siblings and in the same tank since born.
    Last edited by Justikanz; 10th Oct 2006 at 09:18. Reason: Removing immediate quotation

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Unfortunately they are not from the same brood, let alone from the parenthood. I was told to keep one in those clear plastic tanks that hang from the side, let them squabble for a week and soon they will lay off each other's back. Is this true?

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    like I said if your tank is long enough with hiding place, then it will be fine. long enough is probably something more than two feet, but your mileage may vary. you should worry more about what other fishes will do to the Betta as they are timid animals, they only fight with each other but will get bullied by smaller pack fish like some characins.
    why I don't do garden hybrids and aquarium strains: natural species is a history of Nature, while hybrids are just the whims of Man.
    hexazona · crumenatum · Galleria Botanica

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    After a couple of run-ins the weaker one will hide while the victor makes it his life long career to hunt him down. Do expect fins to fly. I've witnessed this in a planted 4FT at a LFS.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Looks like the risk is too much for me and not very humane going ahead with it when you know the outcome.