Advertisements
Aquatic Avenue Banner Tropica Shop Banner Fishy Business Banner

Thread: My Coral Red Pencilfish stopped eating. Help.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

My Coral Red Pencilfish stopped eating. Help.

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Help. My coral red stop eating this few days. The females was gone this morning. Left 2 males. Anyone can help?

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Check your water condition or do a major water change. Get blackwater extract too and a small bag of activated carbon for your filter and leave it in there for a week.. I suffered a similar fate like you recently, can't promise you success, but if it is not the water parameter, it could be a infectious disease between the coral reds. However, my batch from biotope are doing well with my sole survivor from C328.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Vinccc2003, I shifted your post to Fish Care. Hope you have better response. Posting in appropriate forums would generate better and more targetted response...
    Read me! :bigsmile: http://justikanz.blogspot.com/

I'm crypt collecting... Starting cheap, now have Cryptocoryne beckettii, C.beckettii var petchii, C.crispatula var.balansae, C.griffithii(Melted! ), C.nurii, C.parva, C.pygmaea(Melted! ), C.tonkinensis(Melted! ), C.walkeri, C.wendtii 'Brown', C.wendtii 'Green', C.wendtii 'Green Gecko', C.wendtii 'Tropica' and Cryptocoryne x willisii

Oh, juggling is hard work, man!...

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Just recently, I have lost 4 coral red pencilfishes. All died out of some myserious circumstances. Initially, I thought it had something to do with an increase in ammonia and nitrate, but it was not. BUT, something else got my attention, they died in matter of hours after my clown killies died on me. Coincidentally, my clown killies died one by one the same way. healthy and swmming happily, then BAM, dead.

Now, I am not randomly shooting out hypothesis here, as this happened to me 2 months ago with my previous batch of coral red pencilfishes. They were fat and healthy, even survived 2 tank changes, then they died...right after the clown killies died on me too. My suspicion is that they are extremely sensitive to the presence of dead fishes. The toxin emanated from the carcass might be too overbearing for them.

Right now, I am experimenting with the use of activated carbon to see if they will reduce the toxicity in the water. Will keep you all posted about it. If anyone else had similar experience with other fishes like guppies (notorious) or the likes, could you share how you solve the matter.

Also, if anyone has anyone lone coral reds in their tank they wish to sell, please PM me.

ANd Vinccc2003, I hope I am not hijacking your thread, but I feel my experience could be the same as your situation. Did you have any other fish death before the coral red died on you?

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Sorry to hear that. Heart really broken when you see such a nice fish dead in the early morning.

Mine was a bit different from yours. My other fishes didn't die. The coral red just stop eatting, or eat a bit. My batch from C328 died within 2 weeks. Biotape batch still surviving.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    My Coral Red also suffer the same fate, they refuse to eat and slowly die off after 3months. I guess it is that they are still unable to adapt to captivity fate. My other faunas (characins) are doing very well at the same time, so I do not think is the water parameter that cause it to behave this way.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    United_States
    Mine are several years old.
    The only one's I've lost where due to jumping out.

Lots of flake, 2-3 x a day and worms every now and then, live brine etc.

pH/KH/Gh never mattered.
    I do keep things warm, 82F to 84F.
    They are ina client's tank that's got flourite and relatively hard water and in my tank here with soft water.

They have better color at the client's though.

Regards,
    Tom Barr

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Tom, you really make it sound simple to keep them. Wish I had the same luck. Now, my weitzmani's tetras are having ich.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Currently, i tried to change 30% of the water.

All others tank mates are making fine. Eating well. Except for this coral red. Looks quite malnutrition...

Wil see what happen next week.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    they could be stressed. I guess they would prefer lower temperature.
    Mine died killing each other, learned that they need to be house in a bigger tank.