Aquatic Avenue Banner Tropica Shop Banner Fishy Business Banner

Thread: Water back flow in Co2 tubing

Feedback Score

Water back flow in Co2 tubing

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    I just baught a single gauge co2 set. i notice that, the water will flow back in the tubing when i switch it off at nite. It is normal?

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Use a check valve to prevent backflow of water.
    CO2 is rather soluble in water. So it may be causing water to get sucked into the tubing. And as the diameter of the tubing is very small, a little water can start a siphoning action.
    koah fong
    Juggler's tanks

Feedback Score
    thakns!

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    You'd better dry out the regulator well. Otherwise, the CO2 will form carbonic acid with the water and corrode the metal.

BC

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Sorry to restart a old topic.
    I observed backflow occurs from my tank to my co2 tank despite check valve installed before bubble counter. My setup is as follow:
    Co2 cylinder -> electronic solenoid (with needle valve) -> check valve -> bubble counter -> flipper.

My question is :
    1) will water go into the co2 tank and corrosed the tank. My friend told me that the high pressure in the tank will prevent water frm going into the tank. is it true?
    2) What is the correct location to install check valve? I suspecting the original made in china check valve does not shut down the backflow well.

3) How to dry up the solenoid valve?

Thank

Feedback Score
    PohSan wrote:
    My question is :
    1) will water go into the co2 tank and corrosed the tank. My friend told me that the high pressure in the tank will prevent water frm going into the tank. is it true?
    2) What is the correct location to install check valve? I suspecting the original made in china check valve does not shut down the backflow well.

3) How to dry up the solenoid valve?

Sorry, i dunno about qns 1 and 3 but i can answer 2. I put my check valves just right before the reactor. And i put two of them (KS lah). And it works fine for me. The valves are transparent plastic ones with yellow parts inside. Cost about a dollar plus.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    You have a defective check-valve....replace it should solve the problem. Whereas your solenoid, it depends how much water actually went in? If it is still functioning, leave it.
    Plant Physiology by Taiz and Zeiger

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Got something to add regarding this topic. Backflowing of Water from the tank to the regular or solenoid can be VERY dangerous.

Solenoid which is using 2 pin plugs without Ground or Earth is dangerous when water comes in contact. The water acts as a conductor here. The Whole regulator and solenoid will now form a circuit for the current to flow through. Therefore it's very dangerous to even touch a solenoid or regulator with current passing through.

Turn it off , air dry it with hair dryer or wait for it to dry up which takes weeks. Please do not touch any electrical devices which contain live current passing through, some are minor while some major.

I feel that safety is more important than solenoid or the whole system is gone.
    Cheers!

Benetay