Aquatic Avenue Banner Tropica Shop Banner Fishy Business Banner

Thread: cardinals wiped out

Feedback Score

cardinals wiped out

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    I have a planted 3 ft tank established almost 3 mth ago. bought 20 cardinal from Gan around 3 weeks ago. They seems very healthy and happy. 3 days ago bought 4 SAE from C328 (so long never see stock of SAE available, very happy) and put in tank after aclimatising to my tank water. Next morning 2 SAE and 1 cardinal dead. Did not remove the carcass as I thought they can be food for my yamatoes, I saw yamatoes having good times with them. This morning, to my surprise, all cardinals and remaining SAE, perished. did 50% water change as precaution.wondering what went wrong. other fishes are ok like rummy noses, pencil fish, oto,cory and something like see through bone fish. i will buy test kit. which do you recommend. There are nitrate and nitrite etc in the market.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Wahhhh !!! u very daring to leave corpse behind.
    Give u a RED card.
    Click to My Aquarium Blog
    I Love Corydoras, Planted Tank and Taiwan ( Singaporean )

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Cardinal is known to be more sensitive fish. I have batch of 30 that wipe out within 24hrs

. But if they have use to the water in the tank. They can live very long.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    nitrite is the likely culprit, but strangely enough your other fish are unaffected
    try the nitrite, ammonia test kits first

Feedback Score
    The cardinals I bought from Gan 3 weeks ago are still doing fine. Actually, 1 was found behaving oddly 1 day after arrival so I put it to "sleep" for good measure. If I had left it to die "naturally", I may have 0 cardinal now.

Feedback Score
    Hello All, 1 leopard cory and 1 rummy perished yesterday. Parted $13 for a sera NO2 test and water was tested very fine. What else could be the problem, I thought and thought. Finally a hunch told me to check the fish food, took a sniff and the strange smell confirmed the cause of the problem. Spoild fish food (color enhancer pellets). Guys, if you are feeding, sometimes it pays to sniff at the fish food.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Might be bacteria. I had a bad case of bacteria attack a few months ago. Woke up every morning to see dead fishes floating, especially rummy noses and cardinals. They showed no signs of sickness or discomfort the day before. Since then, I have invested in a UV sterilizer. So far so good. Cleared my cloudy water up as well. []

Feedback Score
    How long did you have the food for that it spoiled?

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    some food smells very strange
    spirulina based foods in particular have a very strong smell
    it might not be the food
    still, it won't hurt to stop feeding that and try something else

Feedback Score
    What I do is leave 1 or 2 weeks worth of food in the feeding containers, put the rest in ziplock bags and store them in the frige. While fish food may be dry, it's still perishable.

My two cents worth.

Cheers,
    Roy

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Same here. I kept my bottle of fish food in a corner of my fridge. Feed them with it and no problem till now.

My father also kept guppies last time and had stopped it since 2 years ago. Recently, he gave me the 2 year old food and I use it to feed my fish. No problem!

I think the fish food will stay fresh in the fridge.

Feedback Score
    Hi all, the fish food I had was around 9 mth old. Usually I will pour some into a empty film plastic container and feed from there. Balance I tie it us using rubber band. Fridge is good idea, but not for wifey.