Thread: Algae Glazers

Feedback Score

Algae Glazers

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Hello there!

Anyone out there using snails, hermit crabs, etc. for algae control?
    Hope to hear your success stories and experiences!

Cheers!

Feedback Score
    Country
    Oman
    Pls help. Me want to find out too. They do eat all algae hor!

i hv boht snails n hermits
    i use snails to clean the tank glass n rocks.hermits to scrape the rocks clean of algae. i olso use my hermits for scavaging n a black cumcumber for cleaning the sand.
    Acroporids and Tridacnids

Hie!

I've got 10 turbo snails, 1 astrea (dunno came from where, probably with LR), 2 hermits and 2 cucumbers to clean the tank. The snails are doing a good job, and don't seem to bother my macroalgae as well. However, I once had a few blue hermits in there that would eat my grape caulerpa. Dumped them in the sump after that.

Regards,
    Hong Yee

Feedback Score
    My snails kept coming out the tank and 'jump' down to commit suicide. Why????
    BTW, what are cucumbers? I dun think u mean the cucumbers that come with a plate of chicken rice, rite?

:=)

Southern tip of S.E.A and possibly blowing bubbles underwater
    Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    BTW, what are cucumbers? I dun think u mean the cucumbers that come with a plate of chicken rice, rite?
    ----------------
    LiveRock,
    u are a real joker...[] u can try and let me know the results.. hahaha.. this cucumber that we are talking abt are sea cucumbers.. btw, they are live ones.. not those u see at the dried seafood stuff at some of those chinese medical halls.. those are useless.. hahaha[]
    Let us work together to preserve the world for our children to inherit by being responsible to our surroundings. Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, bubbles and memories.

----------------

My snails kept coming out the tank and 'jump' down to commit suicide. Why????
    ----------------
    It might be that your oxygen levels is too low. Last night when I was fixing my refugium, I shut down the entire system (protein skimmer and all) to prevent electric shocks. What happened was that the snails started crawling all the way up to the water line, and they went back down after I put airline tubing in - so I presume it must have been the oxygen. Are your other creatures doing ok in the tank? fish etc?

Haha, ya, I meant sea cucumbers lah!
    []

Feedback Score
    Kewl! Cucumbers in the tank! Why u get these? Are they harmful to corals?
    Do they bite? How big they get? Are they colourful?

What kind of snails are recommended? I have one that is red and black in colour.
    Dunno whether it is the right type. It came out again and now resting on the pipe...
    I have been anerating the waters.... should have lots of O2....

Feedback Score
    Country
    Oman
    Hong Leong got sell these algae eating snails?

Feedback Score
    hong had sum, but i think i ended up buying all of them cos they keep dying in my tank. anyways, it cost $1/pc.

Feedback Score
    Where is Hong Leong?

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Kewl! Cucumbers in the tank! Why u get these? Are they harmful to corals?
    Do they bite? How big they get? Are they colourful?
    [b]personally, i dun keep them but some aquarists here do.. for the purpose of cleaning up the substrate.. they are usually black in color.. those colorful and fistful in size are known as sea apples..but b4 u think of eating them, think again.. they will spew out web-like substances that will pollute your tank.. so, not advisable.. as for the cucumber.. if your water quality deteriorate and it dies inside your tank.. good luck.. lots of changing of water.. yucks.. stinks too[] []
    Let us work together to preserve the world for our children to inherit by being responsible to our surroundings. Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, bubbles and memories.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Spiff, i deleted your post coz the pic did not come out.. try again..[]