Advertisements
Aquatic Avenue Banner Tropica Shop Banner Fishy Business Banner
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: A river runs through it... A journal for a new project...

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

A river runs through it... A journal for a new project...

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    I am starting a new project...

At first wanted a pure land-only terrarium for a tree frog... But after reading up that tree frogs do appreciate some water and seeing Wild Ginger's froggie tank, I am inspired to add a stream to the tank...

But the title is still 'A River Runs Through It' lah... River sounds better than a stream mah...

Anyway, I came up with 5 designs for the 2ft tank...

Which would be better?

I am just worried that the flow would not be good for a long stream and the flow is obstructed by narrowed portions or turning points... Any comments?

Thanks...
    Read me! :bigsmile: http://justikanz.blogspot.com/

I'm crypt collecting... Starting cheap, now have Cryptocoryne beckettii, C.beckettii var petchii, C.crispatula var.balansae, C.griffithii(Melted! ), C.nurii, C.parva, C.pygmaea(Melted! ), C.tonkinensis(Melted! ), C.walkeri, C.wendtii 'Brown', C.wendtii 'Green', C.wendtii 'Green Gecko', C.wendtii 'Tropica' and Cryptocoryne x willisii

Oh, juggling is hard work, man!...

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

For me, i'd choose the above plan #3 due to the fact it's much more practical and the width of the "river" does not constrict any flow and aesthetically it'd be nice from high elevation to low elevation.

Also, just to add, it has a nice arc from the rear right up to the front and it separates both land areas just nicely in terms of prorportions. Might want to add a fallen log across just in case mr Froggie wants to migrate from one land to another.

Regards,
    Phillipe.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Fallen log... Hmm... Idea...

I have such a log available...

I am inclined to #3 or #5 because I want a significant land area, yet, if possible, keep a wild betta or paros or 5 Boraras sp....

I'm crypt collecting... Starting cheap, now have Cryptocoryne beckettii, C.beckettii var petchii, C.crispatula var.balansae, C.griffithii(Melted! ), C.nurii, C.parva, C.pygmaea(Melted! ), C.tonkinensis(Melted! ), C.walkeri, C.wendtii 'Brown', C.wendtii 'Green', C.wendtii 'Green Gecko', C.wendtii 'Tropica' and Cryptocoryne x willisii

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    I presumed this is for a 2ft? #3 or 5 for me!, 4 doesn't have enough land mass. Going to house a white's tree frog? or something else?
    ...I love rubies too ...
    Ken

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Yes, it is a 2ft tank and it is built with the White's Tree Frog in mind...

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Looking forward to it unfortunately I think ran out of permits for another tank
    ...I love rubies too ...
    Ken

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Hi Justikanz,

I like the 5th layout!
    My ministeress of home affairs say cannot keep frogs. So I am looking forward to seeing yours!

Cheers!
    - eric

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    look forward to it also.
    The Happiest of people don't neccessary have the best of everything;
    they just make the most of everything that comes along their way

When will there be 25 letters in the alphabets?

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    I am going for #5.

Just got the background up... Will upload the picture soon and now will be working on the stream bank. Many thanks to Wild Ginger.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Pictures!

Sticking on the cork bark is a pain... And I totally forgotten that it takes a long time for silicone to cure...

Left overnight, the cork bark is finally up and so I can start working on the stream bank...

I ran out of silicone... And so, work has to stop until I manage to find tome to pass by some shop selling aquarium silicone... Then will seal all the gaps that I can see...

After that is done, water, clay pellets and potting soil will be filled in and the pump test run... Then I can arrange the wood pieces and buy plants from Teo's!

Oh... I have several designs for the tank cover, courtesy of Wild Ginger. He's the man, man!

I chose something similar to this design, minus the ventilation holes, as the hinge will create a strip of gap we totally forgotten until the glass maker reminds us all...

Then I will have to silicone wire mesh to the thin strip... But will confirm when I collect the glass pieces and silicone the hinges on them...

This is as much DIY as I can take... I am definitely NOT a DIY person... Haha...

So looking forward to see the tank up and running...

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Oh... Totally forgotten... Got this stupid piece I had to remove because stupid me forgot to turn the tank around and use that as the back!!...

I tried medicated oil and it doesn't work... The piece of paper is just like dead stuck there... How to remove it?? *Arrgh!*...

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Try lighter fuel fluid(brand I used: Ronson), soak it totally and it should come off easy
    ...I love rubies too ...
    Ken

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Eh... Silly question... Where to find lighter fuel? NTUC? Soak it as in apply generously on the paper and then wait? Gosh... My office will smell bad, man... Haha...

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by Justikanz View Post
    Eh... Silly question... Where to find lighter fuel? NTUC? Soak it as in apply generously on the paper and then wait? Gosh... My office will smell bad, man... Haha...
    nutc should sell them. or you can try provision shop. ask for lighter fluid
    Nicholas

Newbie en el cichlid enano

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Wow- so this set-up is gonna to be in your office
    NTUC might have them, some neighbourhood hardware, provision store and India "Mama" store might carry them also. I usually get them from Art store like ART-FRIEND from Bras Basah Complex. We use them to remove glue,dirts,stickers in the Ad/Design line.

Yes apply generously, once the sticky completely soak-in, the sticker will peel off easily. It evaporates quickly, so the smell is not that bad.
    Last edited by Fei Miao; 7th Nov 2006 at 11:52.
    ...I love rubies too ...
    Ken

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    ..to add, I think I seen them in one of the provision store in NTU, the one besides the canteen near the sports facilities.
    ...I love rubies too ...
    Ken

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Fei Miao, think there is only that ONE provision store in NTU...
    Anyway, I really envy people working in NTU... You should see the size of the offices! OMG...
    ~ Vincent ~ Fishes calm your mind...
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/valice/

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Very interesting project.....looking forward to viewing the process!!
    Something new to me...
    Aquatic Dreams
    Custom Made Aquarium Tanks, Cabinets & Stands

Contact Us: [email protected]
    FaceBook: https://www.facebook.com/aquaticdreamsg/

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Something new to me too, finally get to see such a project being setting up and same time can learn from bro Justikanz.

Look forward!
    The Happiest of people don't neccessary have the best of everything;
    they just make the most of everything that comes along their way

When will there be 25 letters in the alphabets?

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    keep us posted please!
    Fatherhood - The most challenging role a man can take on but, funnily enough, the most fulfilling too.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast