Thread: Breeding Pecular Clown

Feedback Score

Breeding Pecular Clown

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Hi,

I'm planning to breed a pair of pecular clown. But firstly, I would like to find out whether anyone know how to differentiate a male and female clown ? I heard that they are unisex i.e if you get a big and small clown, they will auto change their sex to become one male and one female. Is it true ?

Yep - but make sure both the big and smaller one are still not adult-sized. I.e. 2 juveniles that are different-sized. I dunno if this is documented, but I do suspect that if you place only one anemone in the tank, they might pair more easily as they would have to share the anemone. At least, that's what happened to my pair. Waiting to see if they will breed, will definitely keep you posted if they do!

Regards,
    Hong Yee

Feedback Score
    Good luck.

As for myself, I 'm still waiting for stock on pecular clown.

er true perculars or common clowns?
    Acroporids and Tridacnids

Feedback Score
    I'm waiting for either true or common, whichever got stock. why ?

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    was at pac marine last weekend, they had common clowns in 3 sizes. Small(1cm),medium(less than 2cm),large(2.5cm).
    All $1 & i ended up wif 8 large Fat ones.
    Tomato was $3.
    before u say i got no space spiff- i sent the damsels & the wrasse to nevernever land from the 2ft.

errr, usually my clowns change colour shades, what's the explanation.i know what's it called(& i also forgotten) but any behaviour or health diff?
    []

Southern tip of S.E.A and possibly blowing bubbles underwater
    Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    I'm planning to breed a pair of pecular clown. But firstly, I would like to find out whether anyone know how to differentiate a male and female clown ? I heard that they are unisex i.e if you get a big and small clown, they will auto change their sex to become one male and one female. Is it true ?
    ----------------
    Ivan,
    common or percula clowns have this hierarchy system in them.. get a group of juveniles (abt the same size and male by nature)and let them form their own hierarchy.. the most dominate fish will become the female and this can be seen in the size difference when they mature and there will only be one fish that will go near it; and that is the alpha male... the rest of the fishes will take their positions in the hierarchy.. until either one of the couple is removed and the next one takes over.. get a medium size anemone to house them.. (though most common clowns dun really go to one.. ).. anyway, the most impt thing is to let them be comfortable by themselves and let them pair up.. they are very protective of their eggs once they are laid.. and usually under the protection of the anemone..
    Let us work together to preserve the world for our children to inherit by being responsible to our surroundings. Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, bubbles and memories.

wa ba so evil.........wahahahahahah!!! hows the projects comming along??

ivan the reason i ask is beacause true perc r much more aggressive then common clowns. n they r harder to keep as they r more sensitive.

Feedback Score
    Just bought 4 normal clown. But their health not so good. Looks skinny but I still buy. Hopefully, I can cure them.

Kel,

4 clown good enought to pair off ?[]

jus make sure u remove the rest after 2 has paired up. if not they will kill them off.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    jus make sure u remove the rest after 2 has paired up. if not they will kill them off.
    ----------------
    i think it really boils down to the characters of the fishes.. i mananged to keep 8 of them together once.. in my old 3ft tank.. but the paired fish will chase the rest away.. but not to the extend of killing them leh.. perhaps percula might do that.. anyway.. i dun think i can afford 8 perculas.. hahaha
    Let us work together to preserve the world for our children to inherit by being responsible to our surroundings. Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, bubbles and memories.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    ivan, mine was too- stomachs were sunken.
    started feeding 2 times a day on weekdays & 3times on weekends when ur home. should take less than 2weeks to put back some weight. I feed brine shrimp(1 cube per feeding between 6 fishes).half a frozen bloodworm cube,half a cube of mysis shrimp,half a market prawn cut into very small clownfish bite sizes, and an occasional feeder shrimp to make them exercise by chasing it round.

kelvin,spiff- got some little behaviour problems. 1 medium size had been killed & another bigger clown is forced into a corner wif scratch marks all over it. Both of these are darker shaded ones.(the culprit i've seen)A Dominant big one is yellowish in colouration & bitches around all the others.
    obviously the colouration has somethin to do wif it.
    need to read up at lunch. Any ideas? (big is abt 5cm,med is 3-4cm)

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    1 medium size had been killed & another bigger clown is forced into a corner wif scratch marks all over it. Both of these are darker shaded ones.(the culprit i've seen)A Dominant big one is yellowish in colouration & bitches around all the others.
    obviously the colouration has somethin to do wif it.
    need to read up at lunch. Any ideas? (big is abt 5cm,med is 3-4cm)
    ----------------
    normally, i wouldn't buy a fish with sunken stomach.. they have quite high mortality rate...

bran, scratch marks?? have u seen the yellowish fish chasing the others?? if so, i would recommend that u remove the dominant one first and let them settle down for a while.. then intro that.. chances are, u have 2 females inside.. the larger ones and they can't stand each other..