Images
    Country
    Singapore

New 2 feet Vivarium

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Tried to setup a vivarium to keep my son's green tree frog. Here's the amateur product ...

The green tree frog remained brown since it came home yesterday. Must be under stress, I suppose. However, it chomped off two crickets despite the stress level
    Peace & Tranquillity
    My Photos:
    http://www.freewebs.com/cbong/index.htm

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    nice and organised set up bro.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Btw, other than a complex piping system to trickle water down to keep the setup moist, would a mist making machine help?

At the moment, I have about 1 inch of water with peat moss on top + a bowl of water
    Peace & Tranquillity
    My Photos:

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    I don't think it is stress, it changes color based on the background.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Hi Cbong, the setup's pretty good for basics but i suggest you include thicker branches or perhaps a bromeliad in there as these Tree Frogs love to "cuddle" up in grooves. So maybe a nice bromeliad where the frog could nestle in the "cup" would do the trick and make him much more comfortable.

As for keeping the setup moist and humidity on the mid levels, i suggest if you've already a tank cover, what you can do is to mist it once/twice a day. Having water trickle down the corkbark will lead to too wet an environment for them.

As long as the lid is closed, the humidity will remain stable. But just remember that the Tree Frogs only require mid levels of humidity. Too wet and they'll start to become "lethargic".

Hope these helps.

PS: Another to add, have a slit of ventilation on the cover as fresh air is required for proper circulation of air in the tank.

Regards,
    Phillipe.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    thanks for the valuable advice. one more thing, is temperature a concern since I have a pl light for the setup
    Peace & Tranquillity
    My Photos:

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by cbong View Post
    thanks for the valuable advice. one more thing, is temperature a concern since I have a pl light for the setup
    Temperature should not go up till 28 degrees. Try to have the setup in a cool and well ventilated space. Hence the slit for ventilation purposes on the cover to allow proper convections of warm air and fresh cool air to circulate freely in and out of the tank.

Appropriate temperature would hover from around 23 - 27 degrees. If it's on a hot day, try to mist a little bit more so the evaporation will lower the temperature slightly.

Regards,
    Phillipe.

For most vivarium setup , proper ventilation is just as important. Challenge is to keep vivarium fungus free , especially if you are keeping more sensitive frogs. You may obseve the skin of the frogs inside your vivarium for first symptoms.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Not a vivarist by interest, but out of curiousity, would a fan help with the ventilation and keeping the temperature under control?

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by Jungle-mania View Post
    Not a vivarist by interest, but out of curiousity, would a fan help with the ventilation and keeping the temperature under control?
    Yes, a small mini computer fan placed on the cover will help to eradicate any stale air in the tank and as well help to balance a cool temperature in it.

Regards,
    Phillipe.

Yes , a small computer fan will do if your vivarium is small. Idea is just to circulate air ... If your vivarium has a top hood then just position some fans in a series to circulate air. As for temperature - if your system allows a chiller connection to your filteration then that may work fine too. Generally I do not see the need for chiller , but it all depends on what you keep inside. If you have more exotic plants or livestock inside then that might warrant an air conditioned room for your vivarium...