Feedback Score
    Country
    United_States

I've decided to see about still doing corals with what I got

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    I not had any views of the first post, maybe this one might offer some thoughts

This is what I will see about doing at this time. I will check back with Aquatic Concepts and see what it cost to just get the lighting system working that I have in place and options on dosing rather then spending on calcium reactors.

For three the 175 MH bulbs on the 240 are bad and they never been used on top of that, LOL> This was some the work that my good buddy Jeff from fish world had done for me.

I do know that the lights from the 240 will need to be rerouted to another wall outlet and I would see if this could be done without tripping the fuss box, but when and if I do upgrade the lights to 400 wattage MH bulbs, I would then need for sure the two wall outlets to be upgraded to higher amps.

Jeff left the boxes for the MH lights on the floor, I will see what the guy from Aquatic Concepts has to say what would need to be done with that to do FO only tanks for the next two years or so, it still would cost several hundreds to have regular fluorescent fixtures and glass strips coverings from a glass cutting place about 12" wide for all this might cost as much as $500 to $600 for both tanks (180 and 240).

So it was suggested to me twice only why don't I do corals anyway being that I have the 175 watts MH in place. I still need the skimmers for these tanks in which would be my first thing to do after the Xmas shopping is done.

What do some think of the ASM skimmers, for they are near look a likes to the ER skimmers and are so much less in cost and either I learn of ways to dose by hand on calcium for if I need to buy the reactors as well, then we are talking cost again and right now is a bad time for this.

So if I could manage the calcium levels in both tanks without the reactors in which I not had done before, then it will all depend on the reactors I get on what their price are. And also remember that I would be needing two ASM skimmers for the 240 because the height under the stand is only 24"

I quitted FO tanks some 6-7 years ago and if I nothing else that I can do with these tanks until I can get the money together to do what I wanted from the start of these tanks, I would do FO then.

In one site, two people act as they understand nothing at all in what I typed and if I to get responses such as those, then please make no remarks for I'm sorry my typing is not so great and all and I told others before that if I had to make it as a private secretary, the man upstairs best to give me a goddess figure for I wouldn't make it.

Also people, something else had happen in the last two days, That in the near two years or so that I might have to make cuts on these tanks or disregard the hobby altogether or I best to say that I would have to then sell the tanks due to the fact that my family would need my assistance, financially that is.

This I was told of just two days ago that my daughter has no idea how much longer she will be able to work and once she is not able to work, that if at that time the tanks aren't completed in stocking, I will then have to make the decision to return all corals and fish to the lfs and shut these tanks down.

So I hope you all understand me in what I'm trying to say in all this that if and when my daughter can no longer work and she needs my help in what little I can do, she will have that help for if I have to shut these tanks down so that I can best help my family, I will for my family is the first and most important in my life over anything marine tanks I have.

This also includes the eel tanks would be shut down and of course it all depends on my daughters financial position. Still I would continue my researching and all for I still after spoken to my daughter had bought a book to do with eels, nothing to do on the species ID but rather body and internal structure among a good many other things.

So anything what one not understands, please quote it and ask me of what I meant, thanks

Buddy

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Hello Buddy! My apology for not assisting you.

Reading about your dilemma, I would likely hold off on starting the hobby. You might encounter more problem down the road with your setup. Could be some of the equipment might not be working well or that after you've upgrade on some of the equipment, you might not achieve what you were aiming for. Knowing that you are in a financial situation, it is best to keep your spending habit low. It is better if you could sell off everything and keep the cash for some rainy days. You won't know what fate will have in store for you at the next bend. If things look better, you can always start again. I agree, family comes 1st.

Hope this helps and welcome to AQ!
    If you've learnt, teach, if you have, give.
    Don't walk behind me as I might not lead, don't walk in front of me as I might not follow. Walk beside me, as my friend.
    Mohamad Rohaizal is my name. If it's too hard, use BFG. I don't mind.

Feedback Score
    Country
    United_States
    BFG, I already Made the decision that I would after the holidays first get the $500+ flash for my camera and a third lens at 200mm, but a real good one not the ones that sell for $150 or so.

I will after that continue placing as much money a month into a savings account and when the time is right and I see that my family is with little to no problems financially and i $7,000 for the rebuilding, i will only then start the work again, I not want FO if I can help it and if it comes down to it and I no other choice but to have them as FO, I will only do so at that time.

Also as for the equipment on the 240, everything is wrong in what fish world had done for even the stand needs to be replaced for there be only 24" high under the stand and I not want two or three skimmers if im too have SPS corals with clams for even the lights are wrong, he was suppose to put in 250 watts MH and he puts in 175.

As for selling it off, I would only make such a decision if need be for im already out of that more then $24,000 and if I had to ever call it quits, I would be out of more then $37,000

For I had to this point in time had been planning these tanks as they are now for more then five years and Jeff Vet of fish world had wasted two years giving me crap when he was supposed to started putting in the tanks after I moved into my new house.

So if it be another 18 or so, I will do it for im in no fire rush and I lots of patience for im dead set to do SPS corals for it is the one thing I never done in more then 60 years in the hobby.

Feedback Score
    Country
    United_States

Lastest Update!

Until the tanks are ready for stocking, I only like to now report that the first step has been done, that I just the other day had the electrical work done so that I the electrical power to handle these reef tanks. I had install two new outlets side by side near both reef tanks with four lines with 20 amps each. Its disturbing to see that not much posting has happen here, im sure that in time and with the right kind of people that all this can change

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Hi Buddy!

Here in Singapore, there are 2 marine forums ( there maybe more ) so mostly reefer would head there to post or gain more in-depth information about reefing. This forum has been well known for the freshwater planted scene and mostly reefer wouldn't be interested in posting here. But since you are here to stay, just post away pictures of your tank and inhabitant. I have just started reefing since last October and currently am stocking up my tank but I am doing that very slowly as this is my 1st marine setup. I was into freshwater previously and am trying something new.
    Don't walk behind me as I might not lead, don't walk in front of me as I might not follow. Walk beside me, as my friend.

Feedback Score
    Country
    United_States
    I wouldn't mind to check out these other sites as well, for Im for the first time in some short six years or so only been in forums, but I never before ask anything of anyone for I signed up then to see if I might assist others on eels. For the most part in that be that many not like to hear any negative thoughts on their projects that they want at most for all to agree with them. As one the last in RC I responded to, this hobbyist has two Tess morays in a 180 with a zebra moray I think he said and he wanted that I showed him proof that this will fail. For he been saying that for months now the zebra is the aggressive one and I told him that in a matter of time, the zebra will be nowhere to be found. I told him that if he wants proof, in time he will have his proof.

So im at most are looking for the reef hobbyists who done SPS coral for years and honestly not a rather short time at it. Im sure that you can understand why my request is rather more in a more professional request then rather just any response on whatever the issue might be.

Im in this mans/women hobby for more then 60 years and im about in time to do the one type of system I not ever done as yet and im looking forward to doing both of these reef tanks as SPS corals with a number of soft corals with clams.

As yourself in doing your first marine tank, just take it slow as you said and do your research and all the other things in between and you will succeed. Besides, I figure the most these reef tanks will take to stock will be more then two years from the time I start with stocking live stock.

I will post as well eels pics with the tanks, all these things will be in good time.

Are you permitted to mention or post the links to those site you were talking about?
    Will have seven tanks in all: Two 40 gal breeders for QT, one for FO and the other is to be divided into two separated tank sections with their own filters for corals. Two tanks running as one system, a 70 & 130 gal tanks with a 150, 180 and 240 gal reef tanks. In the next few months to come, the 150 and 180 will be started up after I the new QT for corals setup. Finally!!!

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Buddy, here you go!

www.sgreefclub.com/
    www.absolutereef.com/forums/

There are a few other places that I've managed to compiled into a page called Marine Link that is posted as sticky in this marine section. There are a few contribution from reefer that happen to passby this forum. If you know of any good reference site, just reply in that thread and I'll add them up in the list.

Feedback Score
    Country
    United_States
    Thanks a lot I saved them and later when I the time, I will give them a look over
    Will have seven tanks in all: Two 40 gal breeders for QT, one for FO and the other is to be divided into two separated tank sections with their own filters for corals. Two tanks running as one system, a 70 & 130 gal tanks with a 150, 180 and 240 gal reef tanks. In the next few months to come, the 150 and 180 will be started up after I the new QT for corals setup. Finally!!!