Aquatic Avenue Banner Tropica Shop Banner Fishy Business Banner

Thread: Red Algae - Refugium

Red Algae - Refugium

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Hi guys,

Anyone has had any experience keeping the red branch-like macroalgae that's been appearing in stores? I'm tempted to buy a bunch to put in my refugium, but I don't know if they will waste away like my grape caulerpa did.

Anyway, regarding the refugium - I've just set up a 4-foot refugium (yes, yes, kiasu!! [] ) with 3" of fine sand, but now it's empty. Dunno what to put inside ... any ideas?

Regards,
    Hong Yee

i nvr kept the red algae be4.

wah power! 4ft.......jus dump in afew bunches of those common green algaes can liao.1 only used 1 bunch for my 3ft,but in 2 mths almost covered the all the sides.
    Acroporids and Tridacnids

Feedback Score
    I've tried grape calupera many times and they turned white in a week, even with miracle mud and 24/7 lighting. The red one is more or less the same. The hardiest type is the moss type.

However, I've recently tried the grape calupera again in the sump refugium, out of curiousity, and I dosed daily with Kentmarine iron supplement. Lights on 24/7, with miracle mud. Guess what? With the iron, they seem to be growing well! It's already grown 50% more in size and I've had it for about 2.5 weeks already. My longest record for grape without it turning white.

Nivlac,
    won't the iron cause algae blooms in the main tank as well? Quite worried about that bit leh, haha. Will be going down to the beach this week to pick up sargassum and red macroalgae - no $$ liao, bought all those expensive books for school.

Regards,
    Hong Yee

Feedback Score
    So far the iron has not been causing probs in my tank. Wah, where to self-pick algae? Can grow meh?

Southern tip of S.E.A and possibly blowing bubbles underwater
    Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    IMO, i dun recommend.. coz of all the unknown metals that may come with it..
    Let us work together to preserve the world for our children to inherit by being responsible to our surroundings. Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, bubbles and memories.

Feedback Score
    Guys, I spoke to soon....my grape calupera in the refugium crashed.....all turned white.....very sad.

Only extra thing I did outside of the normal routine was to dose one capful of iodine.....

But will purchase some more and try again....I want to perfect this.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Oman
    Good luck

Southern tip of S.E.A and possibly blowing bubbles underwater
    Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    yeah.. all the best...
    Let us work together to preserve the world for our children to inherit by being responsible to our surroundings. Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, bubbles and memories.

mine olso. did very well for 2months then died....lucky didnt release any spores. i dose iron as well as iodine. i find tt iron makes the algae look better. but then i discovered tt it was like a drug. if i forget to dose , they wont look too good. then if i dose they return to normal again.......
    Acroporids and Tridacnids

Feedback Score
    Aiyoh.....today one of the two clumps of grape calupera turned white liao.....the other clump of grape and feather still ok. Hoping for the best now.