Country
    England

Why to buy algae?

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Hey guys.
    My lfs have given my a big long list of marine fish/inverts etc that i can order. On the list, it says i can order algae..there are three types i can get:

"Caulerpa Stones
    Green Fern On Rock
    Grape Algae"

What are the benefits of having these algaes in tanks? In FW we try to get rid of algaes..in SW we try to keep them?!
    Please explain.
    Thanks
    James
    Currently keeping many wild betta species and other anabantoids.

Hie Mez,
    These are actually macrolgae - large algae that look remotely like higher plants that may actually be rather decorative. They are used for nutrient export - they take up excess nutrients in the water, and as they grow you can cut them out and dump them or feed them to your herbivorous fish.

Regards,
    Hong Yee

Feedback Score
    ----------------
    On 7/29/2002 6:05:43 AM

Hie Mez,
    These are actually macrolgae - large algae that look remotely like higher plants that may actually be rather decorative. They are used for nutrient export - they take up excess nutrients in the water, and as they grow you can cut them out and dump them or feed them to your herbivorous fish.

Regards,
    Hong Yee
    ----------------
    Hi,
    got question, would tangs eat these macroalgae?. To be exact what are the type of fishes that cannot be kept with macro-algae?

Thanks

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    most free swimming fishes will take a bite of the algae.
    personaly i've seen, flame angels,tangs,damsels,triggers.Clowns dun touch the stuff.
    they can strip a good size piece growing on rocks within a week.(4 days to be exact)
    i limit to only the moss type cause they the fastest growing, using normal freshwater FL plant tubes.Growth visible in days.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Oman
    Does our LFS sells these algae? I need some to control the NO3 level.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    pac marine in Lor halus has big size pieces, $5.
    other than that i guess marine life @heong leong or Sealife@balestier- i don't see it regulary at keong seong@havelock. Haven't been to sembawang either

Southern tip of S.E.A and possibly blowing bubbles underwater
    Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    What are the benefits of having these algaes in tanks? In FW we try to get rid of algaes..in SW we try to keep them?!
    ----------------
    james, i told u that u must change your mindset abt FW for SW rite?? hahaha.. [] this is one of the surprise.. anyway, such algae will remove the NO3 and the best part is that u can propagate them to feed your herbivours fishes.. in fact, tangs and dwarf angels love them and would strip the algae rock to nothing in a couple of hours.. for my case..
    Let us work together to preserve the world for our children to inherit by being responsible to our surroundings. Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, bubbles and memories.

wah, serious?!? I'd better remove my algae from the main tank and put into the refugium before I get my flame angel then! Phew, thank goodness you told me man.

Regards,
    Hong Yee

Southern tip of S.E.A and possibly blowing bubbles underwater
    Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    well.. alternatively, u can learn it by the hard way like me.. buying a $5 rock.. supposedly with macroalgae.. hahaha..
    Let us work together to preserve the world for our children to inherit by being responsible to our surroundings. Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, bubbles and memories.