Country
    England

Another question..haha..Polyps

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Hi guys...another question...
    What are "Xenia Polyps" ? And also what are "Polyp Stones"?
    What are the benefits of them in our tanks?
    Thanks again,
    James[]
    Currently keeping many wild betta species and other anabantoids.

Hie,

Xenia polyps are a type of colonising soft coral, and the more popular species are the type that exhibit a pumping motion. They are not easy to keep though, but once they like conditions in the tank they'll take off like wildfire.

Polyp stones I suppose are live rock covered with various polyps - zoanthids, yellow polyps or even xenia.

Polyps are easy beginner corals and look quite nice in a tank, especially when they start growing and creeping around the stones or the substrate. Also, many polyps take in a fair amount of nitrates for growth, and contribute at least a little to nitrate consuption in the tank.

Regards,
    Hong Yee

Southern tip of S.E.A and possibly blowing bubbles underwater
    Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Xenia polyps require water temp of ard 25 degrees celcius.. because of their pumping action to feed, u need to consider using what some ppl called, sea snow.. which is actually, a form of microorganism..

Polyps are indeed easy beginner corals to start off with, if u can keep excellent water parameters, u will be able to see them procreate and have them all over the tank.. i have seen a tank where the owner removed the sand bed to accommodate the growth of the polyps and the bottom of his tank is filled with button polyps.. very nice..[]
    Let us work together to preserve the world for our children to inherit by being responsible to our surroundings. Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, bubbles and memories.

----------------

Xenia polyps require water temp of ard 25 degrees celcius..
    ----------------
    No wonder mine died.
    []

no leh.......i keep mine at 27oC.....been 7 months liao still ok. the one thing xenias need is strong lighting. vho n above. mine pulse no matter in high current or not current.
    Acroporids and Tridacnids