Country
    Australia

Fertilisation Schedule

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Hi,

I am currently using hagen plant grow in my 2 ft tank (as per recommended dosage). CO2 injection; and have 2watts/L of light in my tank. + redsea flora as base substrate.

However, the glossos in my tank is not faring too well. Even the anubias nana in my tank looks pretty undernourished.

I have fast growing plants too, to take up excess fertiliser to inhibit algae.
    Riccia is growing the best in my tank of all the plants.

I have algae in check, and after an algae infestation last year which made me tear down my tank, I am too fearful of using too much fertilisers.

Any recomendations from planted aquarium experts out there on the type and brand of fertilisers to use to liven up my plants?

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    You guys have the Seachem Flourish range over there? Get Potassium, Nitrogen, Phosphorous, Flourish itself, and perhaps Iron and Equilibrium. Dose according to the instructions... they work pretty well.

It's not about nutrients.. it's about plant growth..

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Australia
    Thanks Squee. Yes, we do have it.

We have only the 'bigger' brands available here. I have been using the seachem excel, but have not seen any dramatic improvements, which I think would be a waste as it does not replenish the micro/macro nutrients. Will give Seachem a go.

Any other recommended brands? Even simpler ones, because Seachem , even though I know it's good, it's quite tedious trying to keep track of the what to use and when. (ie. too many different products - will still try the seachem range if I do not find other good/reliable alternatives)

Feedback Score
    Country
    Indonesia
    Well, that is the art of dosing ferts. For the advanced users, dosing each single different fert is even more desireable because they can get a better handling/tuning that way.

I'd say if you want to go cheap you can rely on chemical compunds for the macros (KNO3, KH2PO4, K2SO4) and rely on quality brand name like seachem or TMG for the iron and trace element. Macros : buy in cheap bulk, dose in solid. Micros: buy in expensive bottle. Remember you need both macros and micros in balance to your plant load, CO2 and level of lighting. Could be tricky but going for EI dosing and some experience will help.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Australia
    So, do you think I can use my current NPK (hagen), then use Seachem Flourish; iron and trace as supplements? This would technically cover all the bases of fertilisation right? Anyone with any success with such fertilisation?
    (I don't really know where to look for chemical compounds which can substitute the more expensive branded stuff here.)

Hey medicineman, nice to see an Indo in the forum. Do you by any chance know the owner of Keijaro?

Feedback Score
    Country
    Indonesia
    You mean the owner of Keijaro? I know him, Wei wei is the guy. I think he is already done with his aquascaping shop, dont know what is wrong. He also kinda dissapeared from the local forum (as what most local veterans did).
    Havent paid him a visit for a long time.

You can find chemical compounds by your local chemical shop, and in some countries even in pharmacies. Products like tree stump remover, fleet enema, epsom salt each contains what you are looking for. Search for these stuff, I've forgotten which one is which.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Australia
    He's still around just not with Keijaro. Just seen him last month in Indo. I can't believe he can actually use the internet . He usually seems intelectually challenged with the use of anything to do with computers.

Hey would you mind conversing me through email. I sort of need guidance such as places to buy stuff......and stuff. As you know I can source stuff in indo but not really in singapore until I physically get there. As for wie2, he's never on the net. ([email protected])